Is it bad?

This is a discussion on Is it bad? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm searching for my first carry gun, so I went to a LGS and handled the following: Glock 26 9mm Glock 19 9mm S&W Shield ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Is it bad?

Is it bad?

I'm searching for my first carry gun, so I went to a LGS and handled the following:

Glock 26 9mm
    Glock 19 9mm
    S&W Shield .40
    SIG 1911 3" Barrel .45
    Springfield XDS .45
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger LC380

Out of all of these guns... the Sig 1911 felt the best ergonomically, and had really decent sights on it. When I held it in my hands in a shooting grip, the whole gun just felt "right".

Is it bad that I want a 1911 for my first carry gun? I've only ever shot full size 1911's so I'm not sure how the compacts shoot.

The LCP didn't seem too bad. Seemed like it would be a good summer shorts carry gun for me...

The XDS and Shield both felt, well, plastic-y.... The Shield felt best after the 1911 and LCP... The Glocks felt awful... brick in the hand. Same with the double stack XD's... I don't have the largest hands so a single stack is probably the way to go. I wish they would have had a Kahr 9mm in stock I would have loved to handle one.

2. Remove Ads

Kahr CW9 is junk. Glock is for man hands. Go rent some and try them out.
    gallardo.g23 likes this.
    NRA member
    2 pistols, 3 calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannaxds View Post
    I'm searching for my first carry gun, so I went to a LGS and handled the following:

Glock 26 9mm
    Glock 19 9mm
    S&W Shield .40
    SIG 1911 3" Barrel .45
    Springfield XDS .45
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger LC380

Out of all of these guns... the Sig 1911 felt the best ergonomically, and had really decent sights on it. When I held it in my hands in a shooting grip, the whole gun just felt "right".

Is it bad that I want a 1911 for my first carry gun? I've only ever shot full size 1911's so I'm not sure how the compacts shoot.

The LCP didn't seem too bad. Seemed like it would be a good summer shorts carry gun for me...

The XDS and Shield both felt, well, plastic-y.... The Shield felt best after the 1911 and LCP... The Glocks felt awful... brick in the hand. Same with the double stack XD's... I don't have the largest hands so a single stack is probably the way to go. I wish they would have had a Kahr 9mm in stock I would have loved to handle one.
    In my opinion, the most important thing is to get a carry gun that you like, that fits your hand well, and that you have confidnece in. If the 1911 fits the bill for you, then by all means, get it and carry it!
    Sap03, Brad426, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckr View Post
    Fail.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    You might want to read this. Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

Boiled down.

1) Why am I carrying?
    2) Am I prepared & trained to use it?
    3) Is it comfortable all day?
    4) Is it effective & am I accurate with it?

That's about it.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Folks have successfully started out with full-sized 1911s for years. Prior to 1950 the 1911 only came one way. There's no good reason why you can't do so as well.
    smolck, Brad426, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Folks have successfully started out with full-sized 1911s for years. Prior to 1950 the 1911 only came one way. There's no good reason why you can't do so as well.
    I started with a few plastic fantastics and then the love affair with 1911's began. Friggin expensive, but rewarding. Best thing I can tell you is buy a quality 1911 like a Sig. The WORST thing you can do is buy a cheap 1911 (I speak from painful, expensive experience). Sure, you may save $300 up front, but you will end up spending more on the cheap gun to make it run right in the long run, especially when talking 3" guns. Sig, Colt, Kimber, Springfield, or the customs (Wilson, Les Baer, etc) is the way to go.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckr View Post
    Ah yes, fan boys!

Thanks for the advice guys! What do you recommend for an IWB summer rig with cargo shorts? Something like a kydex/leather hybrid?

Ah yes, fan boys!

Thanks for the advice guys! What do you recommend for an IWB summer rig with cargo shorts? Something like a kydex/leather hybrid?
    I don't think you should be called a "fan boy" to call a Kahr junk. I had one, a CM9 and hated it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I am currently wearing a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro on my side with my 3" Kimber 1911 in it. I like it, but it hasn't displaced my leather/kydex hybrid as my most comfy holster. It might, I just got 2 hours ago. We shall see. Point being, the Pure Kustom is $185, my Kydex hybrid cost me $50.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Ah yes, fan boys!

Shoot, that'll be harder to figure out than the gun... be prepared to have a drawer full of holsters. I like the hybrids (CrossBreed and Old Faithful, especially), but it'll be trial and error for you.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

1911 has been around for over 100 years you cant mess with perfection, also easily concealed since its so thin compared to most of the polymer guns. There are a few manufacturers (para ordinance comes to mind) that make double stack 1911's so you can have more rounds. But the weight of the weapon may not be the best for concealed, but each person is unique and you may not mind, you could also go with a commander size it has a shorter barrel so may not be too bad in the weight department. But as said you want something you know you will be proficient with, and that you like.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I don't think you should be called a "fan boy" to call a Kahr junk. I had one, a CM9 and hated it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I am currently wearing a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro on my side with my 3" Kimber 1911 in it. I like it, but it hasn't displaced my leather/kydex hybrid as my most comfy holster. It might, I just got 2 hours ago. We shall see. Point being, the Pure Kustom is $185, my Kydex hybrid cost me $50.
    I was referring to his Glock comment. I tried to like them, I really did...

I'm fully prepared to purchase numerous holsters, just trying to get a general direction!

I myself prefer hybrid holsters. I was carrying my sccy cpx-1 in a hybrid today with cargo shorts. Down here in florida its mostly cargo shorts for me about 10 months out of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by RockingGlock32 View Post
    I myself prefer hybrid holsters. I was carrying my sccy cpx-1 in a hybrid today with cargo shorts. Down here in florida its mostly cargo shorts for me about 10 months out of the year.
    With a good gun belt, should I have to worry that my cargo shorts are somewhat, well, thin? They're borderline dress/cargo shorts...

With a good gun belt, should I have to worry that my cargo shorts are somewhat, well, thin? They're borderline dress/cargo shorts...
    Nah, your shirt will hang down and cover it, so the thickness of the shorts won't matter as much.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links