Shield Night sights

Shield Night sights

This is a discussion on Shield Night sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know if/when Trijicon will have night sights for the S&W M&P Shield? The little white dot popped out of my Shield, I know ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Taurahe

Thread: Shield Night sights

Shield Night sights

Does anyone know if/when Trijicon will have night sights for the S&W M&P Shield? The little white dot popped out of my Shield, I know I can just repaint it but it gives me a good excuse to buy night sights. Does anyone know of some other good night sights for the Shield?
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

Trijicon make a version of the HD that fit the Shield. Keep in mind though that they are going to run you close to $200 before all is said and done most likely.

I'm not sure if linking to another forum is kosher so I won't, but if you visit the M&P forum that's well known, there is a thread where I guy mounted Trijicons designed for a compact on his Shield and they work fine also. These may be easier to find since they have been out longer.

My best friend installed a set of ameriglo's on his shield last night and they are freaking sweet. The ameriglo's are specifically made for the shield also. They were around 115 bucks or so I think, significantly cheaper than the trijicon HD's. We are shooting it this weekend to try it out !!!

These are his front and rear sights. The front is an orange dot with green tritium center, similar to the XS Big dot, and the rear is green tritium. The rounded u notch is actually pretty sweet for fast alignment..... we will see how it shoots this weekend.
    Attached Images
    Sap03 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    My best friend installed a set of ameriglo's on his shield last night and they are freaking sweet. The ameriglo's are specifically made for the shield also. They were around 115 bucks or so I think, significantly cheaper than the trijicon HD's. We are shooting it this weekend to try it out !!!

These are his front and rear sights. The front is an orange dot with green tritium center, similar to the XS Big dot, and the rear is green tritium. The rounded u notch is actually pretty sweet for fast alignment..... we will see how it shoots this weekend.
    I use the Ameriglo I-Dot Pros on my Glocks. They make a I-Dot Pro for the Shield too. One with the Orange Fluorescent /Tritium front and one with a Lime Green Flourescent/Tritium front. I prefer the single dot plain yellow rear for contrast and easy alignment.

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sigh.../complete-sets
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Oh sure, NOW they make the I-Dot Pro for the Shield. You know, a month after I got the regular I-Dots put on. >.<
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post

I have the exact same sights for the Shield and love them. After calling trijicon every week for months they finally said why don't you buy ameriglo s since we make their inserts.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

M&P Shield Night Sights Easy to Install

P Shield Night Sights Easy to Install

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, all (I am MichiganRon on this forum, but I am Michigan Ron on the S&W and S&W M&P Pistol forums)--

I used the B&J Machine sight pusher from Brownells (P500 UNIVERSAL SIGHT TOOL | Brownells) and the Talon Tactical - S&W M&P Rear Sight Tool from Brownells (S&W M&P REAR SIGHT TOOL | Brownells) to remove the old sights on both of my Shields and to install Ameriglo night sights specifically for the Shield (actually made by Trijicon). No problems if you take your time, go slow, and use common sense.

I followed these instructions I found online:

"How to Install Sights on a Smith & Wesson M&P Handgun
    Posted on October 1, 2011 by Seven Springs Armory

Many people have complained at the difficulty of installing aftermarket sights in their Smith & Wesson M&P semi-automatic handguns. We have found installing aftermarket sights into the S&W M&P to be a chore but have found the solution to this problem. Read on and we’ll go into detail how to accomplish this feat.

Changing the rear sight usually isn’t a problem. The rear sight on the M&P is a dove tail sight and uses a set screw to hold the sight in place. To remove the rear sight you will need an Allen wrench to loosen the set screw. Note that it is often very tight as Smith & Wesson applies thread locker (aka Locktite) to the set screw. Once the set screw is loosened we recommend using a sight tool to remove the sight and install the new sight. With the rear sight removed install the new sight. The easiest way to align the rear sight properly is by removing the firing pin cover in the back of the slide and lining the sight up with the firing pin. Once the new rear sight is in place tighten down the set screw until it is tight. We recommend applying “blue” Locktite to the set screw prior to tightening the screw; the Locktite will help ensure that the set screw doesn’t loosen up from firing the gun and help ensure that the rear sight doesn’t drift.

Changing the front sight is where the real problem lies.

First, you will need to remove the factory front sight. To remove the factory front sight use the sight tool to remove the slide. Be sure to remove the sight by sliding it out of the dove tail toward the ejection port side of the slide. Failure to remove the front sight from the ejection port side could cause damage to the dove tail notch in the slide.

With the factory sight removed you can try to install the aftermarket sight. Use the sight tool to slide the sight into the dove tail from the ejection port side. Again, failing to install the sight from the ejection port side could cause damage to the dove tail notch in the slide. We recommend applying a small amount of cutting fluid to the notch to help get the sight into position. If the new aftermarket sight will not slide into the dove tail notch you will need to read on.

If the new aftermarket sight, using a sight tool, will not slide into the dove tail notch you will need to file the sight down so that it will fit into the dove tail notch in the slide on the Smith & Wesson M&P. To do this we recommend that you use a micrometer to measure the width of the factory sight. Typically the factory sight measures .2575 inches. We often find that aftermarket sights measure .2675 inches when we use the micrometer.

To file the new aftermarket sight you will need to use cutting fluid and a triangle metal file. Remember that metal files only cut on the forward stroke. We recommend that you file the new aftermarket sight equally on each side of the dove tail until the new sight measures .0025 inches larger than that of the factory sight. Apply a drop of cutting fluid to the surface of the sight once every ten file strokes. Once the new sight measures only .0025 inches larger than the factory sight it is time to install the sight into the slide of the S&W M&P handgun.

NOTE: Do not file the new sight to anything less than .0025 inches larger than the factory sight. Doing so may result in sight drift after firing the Smith & Wesson M&P.

Now to install the front sight apply one drop of cutting fluid in the dove tail notch on the slide and use a sight tool to install the new aftermarket sight. Remember to install the sight from the ejection port side.

Now you may be saying to yourself that you don’t have a micrometer, metal files, cutting fluid or sight tool. A universal sight tool will run about $150, micrometer $20-200 depending on the type of micrometer purchased, a triangle metal file will run $3-5 and cutting fluid will cost approximately $5. The other option is to have a gunsmith install your new sights or you can send your slide to us along with your new sights and we’ll install them for $25. You can also purchase sights from us and we’ll install them for free, all you have to do is send us your slide.

For more information about our sight install services please call us at 480-779-0319, send us an email at sales@sevenspringsarmory.com or visit our website at www.sevenspringsarmory.com."

I hope this helps. -- Ron

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganRon View Post
    P Shield Night Sights Easy to Install

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, all (I am MichiganRon on this forum, but I am Michigan Ron on the S&W and S&W M&P Pistol forums)--

I used the B&J Machine sight pusher from Brownells (P500 UNIVERSAL SIGHT TOOL | Brownells) and the Talon Tactical - S&W M&P Rear Sight Tool from Brownells (S&W M&P REAR SIGHT TOOL | Brownells) to remove the old sights on both of my Shields and to install Ameriglo night sights specifically for the Shield (actually made by Trijicon). No problems if you take your time, go slow, and use common sense.

I followed these instructions I found online:

"How to Install Sights on a Smith & Wesson M&P Handgun
    Posted on October 1, 2011 by Seven Springs Armory

Many people have complained at the difficulty of installing aftermarket sights in their Smith & Wesson M&P semi-automatic handguns. We have found installing aftermarket sights into the S&W M&P to be a chore but have found the solution to this problem. Read on and we’ll go into detail how to accomplish this feat.

Changing the rear sight usually isn’t a problem. The rear sight on the M&P is a dove tail sight and uses a set screw to hold the sight in place. To remove the rear sight you will need an Allen wrench to loosen the set screw. Note that it is often very tight as Smith & Wesson applies thread locker (aka Locktite) to the set screw. Once the set screw is loosened we recommend using a sight tool to remove the sight and install the new sight. With the rear sight removed install the new sight. The easiest way to align the rear sight properly is by removing the firing pin cover in the back of the slide and lining the sight up with the firing pin. Once the new rear sight is in place tighten down the set screw until it is tight. We recommend applying “blue” Locktite to the set screw prior to tightening the screw; the Locktite will help ensure that the set screw doesn’t loosen up from firing the gun and help ensure that the rear sight doesn’t drift.

Changing the front sight is where the real problem lies.

First, you will need to remove the factory front sight. To remove the factory front sight use the sight tool to remove the slide. Be sure to remove the sight by sliding it out of the dove tail toward the ejection port side of the slide. Failure to remove the front sight from the ejection port side could cause damage to the dove tail notch in the slide.

With the factory sight removed you can try to install the aftermarket sight. Use the sight tool to slide the sight into the dove tail from the ejection port side. Again, failing to install the sight from the ejection port side could cause damage to the dove tail notch in the slide. We recommend applying a small amount of cutting fluid to the notch to help get the sight into position. If the new aftermarket sight will not slide into the dove tail notch you will need to read on.

If the new aftermarket sight, using a sight tool, will not slide into the dove tail notch you will need to file the sight down so that it will fit into the dove tail notch in the slide on the Smith & Wesson M&P. To do this we recommend that you use a micrometer to measure the width of the factory sight. Typically the factory sight measures .2575 inches. We often find that aftermarket sights measure .2675 inches when we use the micrometer.

To file the new aftermarket sight you will need to use cutting fluid and a triangle metal file. Remember that metal files only cut on the forward stroke. We recommend that you file the new aftermarket sight equally on each side of the dove tail until the new sight measures .0025 inches larger than that of the factory sight. Apply a drop of cutting fluid to the surface of the sight once every ten file strokes. Once the new sight measures only .0025 inches larger than the factory sight it is time to install the sight into the slide of the S&W M&P handgun.

NOTE: Do not file the new sight to anything less than .0025 inches larger than the factory sight. Doing so may result in sight drift after firing the Smith & Wesson M&P.

Now to install the front sight apply one drop of cutting fluid in the dove tail notch on the slide and use a sight tool to install the new aftermarket sight. Remember to install the sight from the ejection port side.

Now you may be saying to yourself that you don’t have a micrometer, metal files, cutting fluid or sight tool. A universal sight tool will run about $150, micrometer $20-200 depending on the type of micrometer purchased, a triangle metal file will run $3-5 and cutting fluid will cost approximately $5. The other option is to have a gunsmith install your new sights or you can send your slide to us along with your new sights and we’ll install them for $25. You can also purchase sights from us and we’ll install them for free, all you have to do is send us your slide.

For more information about our sight install services please call us at 480-779-0319, send us an email at sales@sevenspringsarmory.com or visit our website at www.sevenspringsarmory.com."

I hope this helps. -- Ron
    OP was posted in April. Likely he found what he needed. But to the post above, I just put XS big Dots on my shield. Used a steel punch to remove the old ones. If you properly fit the new ones, the non marring drift punch they provide installs the new ones quite easily.

The fault I see is most people think they have to be super tightly fit. Not true. Red Loctite will hold it just fine. You just need a decent press fit
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

For the price I am going to go with Ameriglo when the time comes which should be fairly soon

My lgs called shoot straight its a small chain if you buy the sights there they put them on for free or if you buy them somewhere else they only chrge 25.00 seems reasonable arent most places like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    My lgs called shoot straight its a small chain if you buy the sights there they put them on for free or if you buy them somewhere else they only chrge 25.00 seems reasonable arent most places like that?
    Ive bought a fair amount of guns from Shoot Straight the prices are usually the best

Links