Big Hand CC

Big Hand CC

This is a discussion on Big Hand CC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 642 with Crimson Trace grips. Really nice gun but a little on the heavy/fat side to fit into summer pockets. Had a ...

Thread: Big Hand CC

Big Hand CC

I have a 642 with Crimson Trace grips. Really nice gun but a little on the heavy/fat side to fit into summer pockets.
    Had a XD-9 and loved it, but too big to conceal.

I have size 13 hands! Looking for a pocket 9mm/.380. Looked at the LCP- really- what a LONG trigger pull... so much so, I have problems getting it to release. Looked at Kahr. similar issue. Looked at some others that it was tight fit just to get my finger into the guard.

What 9mm/380 has a shorter trigger pull and doesn't cut through such an arch?

Seems I looked at the Sig P938 and it was pretty nice, but $$$.
    Can't find a M&P Shield to look at.

Has Kel Tec come up to reliable?
    How about the Tarus Slim?

Suggestions-?
    M&P is more in budget line up.

The rule of thumb is that the pistol should be aligned with your forearm, pointing straight ahead, and your trigger finger resting comfortably on the trigger. My recommendation is to go to several gun shops and hold or test fire a wide variety of guns. A quick google search ("how to size a pistol for your hand") turned up a good number of links that offer excellent sizing advice.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

If you have big hands, you don't want the LCP. I have large hands (maybe not as big as your) and I can't hold onto my friend's LCP. I have a M&P40c and it is awesome. It is a little bigger than a shield but not bad.

I would suggest a Shield of XDS.

I can't seem to feel comfortable with a Glock. I really liked my friends Ruger SR9C & SR40C. Bought the SR40C. But was also looking at M&P (Though I would opt for their 40C over the Sheild) price wise the Ruger won out. You should rent a few at a range (or have well armed friends) and try them out. Good luck!
    DSCN4582.jpg

M&P 9C or a G26 would be a good place to start looking.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    You may want to watch Hickok45 on youtube paws of his shoot small pistols dow to micro 380's. Shoots some handguns with the middle pad on his finger and can still ring the gongs at long distance. Just got to get your head into it.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ_mp40c View Post
    If you have big hands, you don't want the LCP. I have large hands (maybe not as big as your) and I can't hold onto my friend's LCP. I have a M&P40c and it is awesome. It is a little bigger than a shield but not bad.

I would suggest a Shield of XDS.
    m&p40c also has the same grip as a m&p9c

also glock has a pretty girthy grip

I have huge hands and can shoot the LCP fine but I did add a Hogue grip to thicken up the grip somewhat. . Just one hand it, point and shoot. Its very easy to conceal. If you go 380 the Sig P238 is a great little gun and the trigger is also very nice. My wife owns one but again its $$.

For pocket carry I'm going to switch from the LCP to the LC9, at least when I'm also carring IWB. It too shoots well and its a little larger, but still fairly inexpensive. My reason for the switch is because I'm carrying a9 mm IWB and I'd prefer the same caliber in the pocket.

Check the Taurus TCP, it's grip is a little larger than the LCP and the trigger pull is smoother IMHO....I bought one and kinda like it. Bought one since the elusive Shield is being hard to find at this time.

PS....The Taurus TCP slide locks back on last round...the Ruger LCP does not.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

SCCY CPX-2 ............I have the same problem

Quote Originally Posted by 45MINK View Post
    +1 to this plus you cant beat the warranty

Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    I have huge hands and can shoot the LCP fine but I did add a Hogue grip to thicken up the grip somewhat. . Just one hand it, point and shoot. Its very easy to conceal. If you go 380 the Sig P238 is a great little gun and the trigger is also very nice. My wife owns one but again its $$.

For pocket carry I'm going to switch from the LCP to the LC9, at least when I'm also carring IWB. It too shoots well and its a little larger, but still fairly inexpensive. My reason for the switch is because I'm carrying a9 mm IWB and I'd prefer the same caliber in the pocket.
    I really like the LCP- but my "natural" fall of trigger finger puts the trigger at 2nd knuckle...then there isn't enough movement to actuate the release. If I consciously put the tip of trigger finger on the trigger it works... but I have to think about it.

Heck, my Browning .25 auto is easier to shoot. Short trigger travel. These long trigger travels are a killer for me. Seems the Kahr PM9 is similar...which i really like.

Quote Originally Posted by 45MINK View Post
    Never heard of this or seen one. Is the trigger motion as long as others? That seems to be my killer. Also, is there room in the trigger guard for big finger and w/ glove?

Anyone used the Tarus 709 Slim?
    or , Sig 938?
    or Kel Tec PF-9?

VIP Member
    The Shield has a very nice trigger. I have G21 sized hands. Not sure how that rates on the numeric scale, but the full frame G21 fits me perfectly. I also have an LCP and, while I don't want to take the LCP for an extended range day, it is easy to shoot accurately in SD drills. I have the laser on the LCP and this helps as the factory "sights", even when I painted the front sight day glo orange, are tough to see and use.

The Shield is not a pocket pistol in the way an LCP is. Both are fine guns, but if I am going to put it in a pocket, the LCP gets the nod.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Sponsored Links