Walther P 22

Walther P 22

This is a discussion on Walther P 22 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has been wanting a gun of her own so yesterday we got her a P22 of her very own, P 22 with laser. ...

Thread: Walther P 22

Walther P 22

My wife has been wanting a gun of her own so yesterday we got her a P22 of her very own, P 22 with laser.

Now I know that many will say a 22 is ineffectual as a SD round but a .22 is better than no gun at all and it's what she feels comfortable with. Being comfortable with the gun (she is small, only 5'3") and being inexpensive for ammo she will get plenty of practice in.
    The gun also has the laser for fast target aqiusition/low light situations.
    Another major factor is that the area we live in is pretty much a low crime area and she doesn't go much out of the area without me. There's also the fact that she does have access to my 9mm or .45 should she need them at home and she has shot both.
    She also has applied for her CCW and NRA membership and has her own membership to our gun club and the club emphasises training and shooting events for youth and women.

All in all, the P 22 is pretty nice, we put about 250 rounds through it yesterday with 0 failures. My wife fired about 50 rounds just to familiarize herself with the gun and I put another 200 rounds through it to test reliability and to sight in both the sights and the laser both of which are now dead on accurate.

The only downsides to this gun are very minor. I had to field strip it ( a very easy process) in order to change the front sights and had to reassemble it which was a bit of a challenge untill I used the special recoil spring tool included in the kit but not in the instructions and I felt that though the gun was test fired at the factory they could have done some sort of sighting in other than just a test fire for function.

My overall impression is it's a sweet little gun, ideal for a small statured lady and new shooter.

Well, off to the club, there's a block shoot, turkey shoot and International Trap Shoot competition today, plus more range time for us.

George
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

VIP Member
    Congratulations! Walther is a fine choice..

I have one too, and know what you mean about the recoil spring...

When I purchased mine, the dealer told me that quite a few Denver police officers had purchased the P-22 for a backup gun.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    If that is what she carries , just be sure to evaluate and carry the best reliable cycling ammo you can find. Having a .22 is indeed better than no gun. Too bad they don't make it in a .22 mag.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    People all over the world have fallen to the .22LR....if the missus is most comfortable with that gun and ammo combo, constantly trains with it, and has the warrior mindset, then she'd be quite a formidible adversary to anyone wishing to do her harm.

Who knows, down the road she might want to "upgun" to a P99 9mm or .40 S&W which are fantastic guns.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    People all over the world have fallen to the .22LR....if the missus is most comfortable with that gun and ammo combo, constantly trains with it, and has the warrior mindset, then she'd be quite a formidible adversary to anyone wishing to do her harm.

Who knows, down the road she might want to "upgun" to a P99 9mm or .40 S&W which are fantastic guns.
    She's small in stature, a 9mm is probably as high as she'll eventually go. She's off to a good start though, not afraid of firearms and has shot my 9mm and my .45's. Next step is to try and get her interested in trap shooting and some "real" classes, not just what I teach her.
    Fortunately our gunclub does have female only training and competitions though they are welcome to train with and or compete with the guys.

I'm a lucky guy to have a wife who shows interests in my hobbies and she is of the same mindset when it comes to SD.

My P22 is one of my favorites. I like the fact it is a pocket sized gun. It is inexpensive to purchase/operate and the Walther service is great.

Hope you enjoy it. I konw that I would carry it if I had to, but I like the 9 mm option myself.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

I would say that my P-22 is my most "fun" pistol to shoot. Accurate and inexpensive to plink with. I also bought three extra mags for it to add to the two it comes with. I've put thousands of rounds through mine and I have had zero negative issues with it. It is a great gun to practice tactical/self-defense drills. Also a great little gun to take hiking & biking in the great outdoors.

Not my typical CCW carry but I would feel totally confident in shot placement if I had to use it as such. I don't think anyone could withstand 10 rounds to the head/face/eyes even though it may not have your usual stopping power caliber.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Be sure to check out http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=48. They have a lot of P-22 info.
    Springfield XD9SC
    Walther P22

My wife also has the p22 that she carries with the walther laser. She is dead on with that gun. We got the target version the one with the longer barrel and the weighted end and i deffently know about the spring i dont know how long it took me the first time until i went on the web for help

Quote Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
    had to reassemble it which was a bit of a challenge untill I used the special recoil spring tool included in the kit but not in the instructions
    George
    George,

There is a website somewhere, (sorry I lost it) that shows you how to reassemble the gun without the guide rod. It basically is as simple as placing the "mainspring" on the "spring guidance rod" and pushing the "spring guidance rod" through the opening of the slide (below barrel hole). You hold on to the spring guidance rod with one hand and then replace slide onto gun frame. When you are replacing slide then seat the rod into the hole below the barrel on frame. If you need an exploded diagram of the P22 to see what I am talking about it can be found at below website.

Good luck and have fun. If you need details of this you can probably search online or PM me and I will explain further.

http://www.carlwalther.com/p22.htm
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Well My 2cents
    I still have not gotten to the P22... but love my Walther G22 alot....
    besides the rimfirecentral link above there is also a lot of good info on the Walther section of AR15.com......

and yet another link.... with pics for those who want to know how to reasemble the P22 without the tool

http://www.gothammarketing.com/bb/wa...=ST;f=3;t=3987

Thanks for all the tips guys

I had this at the range again today, over 500 rounds in one session without so much as a hiccup, over 1000 rounds total now all without a single problem, this is dependable for sure, glad I got it for my wife and I like it enough that I want one for myself, I can shoot this thing to my hearts content and not worry about the price of ammo

.45, my wife is 4'11" (though she'd glare at me for not saying she was 5', LOL) with tiny hands. The P22 fits her hand like it was made for her. She loves my Glock 26 but even it is a tad big, and with a recent injury (shattered radius bone in her right arm necessitating surgery and a metal plate), she's very recoil sensitive. She liked my P3AT until she fired it. She dreams of a PPK but will probably wind up with the .32 version as recoil sensitive as she is. Still, the lady is FANATICAL about practice. First day at the range, she shot close to 300 rounds of .22 doing rapid fire and reloading drills, then fired off about 100 rounds of 9x19 'til her right hand was almost useless. Even then she shot groups at 15 feet you could cover with a business card. I loaded her P22 up with 60 gr. SSS rounds and told her it's 10 to the face and run like hell. She backs it up with a .22mag mini revolver as a contact-distance BUG.
    In short, I think you and yours made an excellent choice!

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    The P22 is a fun gun to shoot. Even more fun with one of these installed

Advanced Armament Corp. Pilot
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltKnight View Post
    .45, my wife is 4'11" (though she'd glare at me for not saying she was 5', LOL) with tiny hands. The P22 fits her hand like it was made for her. She loves my Glock 26 but even it is a tad big, and with a recent injury (shattered radius bone in her right arm necessitating surgery and a metal plate), she's very recoil sensitive. She liked my P3AT until she fired it. She dreams of a PPK but will probably wind up with the .32 version as recoil sensitive as she is. Still, the lady is FANATICAL about practice. First day at the range, she shot close to 300 rounds of .22 doing rapid fire and reloading drills, then fired off about 100 rounds of 9x19 'til her right hand was almost useless. Even then she shot groups at 15 feet you could cover with a business card. I loaded her P22 up with 60 gr. SSS rounds and told her it's 10 to the face and run like hell. She backs it up with a .22mag mini revolver as a contact-distance BUG.
    In short, I think you and yours made an excellent choice!
    Yeah, my wife isn't quite as tiny, almost 5'3" and though she has fired most of my guns inc the .45's the P22 is the gun she prefers, She has been shooting more now that she has it and though she is using the sights she's also happy to have the laser which I did sight in aloong with the sights for low light or quick target aquisition within about 30 feet in daylight.
    She'll probably never need it as we're usually together but I feel better with her having it. For that matter, hopefully I'll never be in a situation to use mine either but better safe than sorry.

Sponsored Links