LCR Questions

This is a discussion on LCR Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted a thread the other day on the topic of using a DAO hammerless revolver as the perfect pocket/running (walking) CCW, I'm thinking of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: LCR Questions

LCR Questions

I posted a thread the other day on the topic of using a DAO hammerless revolver as the perfect pocket/running (walking) CCW, I'm thinking of adding a small revolver to my currently all semi auto stable of CCWs. Had the opportunity tonight to handle 3 different LCRs at Cabela's, .22magnum, .38+P and the big boy .357 magnum. This was the first time that I have seen 3 of 4 models all in the same place at once, i've been casually looking and only encountered the .22lr and .38 models before this. I have several questions for LCR owners:

1) I know the .357 is 17oz v 12.5oz for the .38, I could tell the difference but it didn't seem to significant. How noticeable is it when carrying especially in a pocket?

2) How is the recoil of the .357 when loaded with magnums? My thinking is to get the .357 to have the flexibility to use that or .38 depending on preference and ammo availability. I know this isn't a fun gun to range shoot, but that isn't the point. There was some 22 year old tacticool Call of Duty know it all dweeb at the counter next to me that kept babbling about how he "shot it and it like jumped out of my hand"...OK buddy great. i'd like to hear from someone who has fired one in the real world, not on their Xbox.

3) Is it worth getting the Crimson Trace model? I have a laser on my HD gun but don't use it, don't have any others. I know the LCR sights are a joke, but I don't see it really mattering since it is made for point and shoot situations. Also, is it worth getting the model with the front FO sight? Anything more than the basic black ramp adds a lot to the price.

4) Is the trigger actually as good as it seems when dry firing? It felt like the most consistent, though heavy, trigger I have ever felt in a stock revolver.

5) Would you consider .38+P or .357 to be reliable stoppers for the threats I plan to face with this gun which are (in no order): aggressive dogs up to the size of a Rottweiler, coyotes (urban size), rabid raccoon (seen it already), armed robbers/crackheads? Even getting into specifics as to bullet design and weight. I should mention that I am not recoil adverse, I have shot handguns as large as .500 magnum and found it enjoyable. I frequently carry 155gr HSTs in my G27, that is the USBP load that is VERY hot for a .40 (about 1220fps).

6) Which model would you recommend? .22lr is a no go, .22 magnum while intriguing is too unknown to me and too damn hard to find, .38 or .357 are really the only options I'll consider.

7) Fair price new? Cabela's has them at $499 and $549 for .38 and .357 respectively.

8) Any other suggestions? I looked at the S&W 442 .38, it was OK but I really like the idea of polymer since I'm going to sweat and possibly pee on the gun at some point and time.

Thanks for any feedback anyone can offer.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    My LCR is the 38Sp +P model. The trigger really IS that good.
    While the grip is a bit large, I do pocket it on occasion with big pockets.
    38 vs. 357; While not a lot of difference in weight between them empty, when you load them up with their respective ammo (38 vs. 357), It may be considerable when you think about carrying it all day long.
    I've shot a lot of +P through my LCR and it's a handful. I cannot imagine firing magnums in one, nor do I feel it's necessary. 38 Special would be plenty for up close social work, which is what it is really intended for anyway. I understand lots of folk shoot 357's in their respective LCR's and like it but... I do shoot magnums in my SP101 and that's as small as I care to get with them.
    A laser grip would be great but know that it is harder than the factory grip and you'll feel more of recoil.
    As far as sweat is concerned, don't forget that the LCR still has plenty of metal in it and if left uncared for even stainless will eventually rust. A S&W air-weight would be just fine as long as you keep it cleaned up and lubed.
    As far as price, Here is a really good deal: RUGER LCR 38SPL 38 NEW IN BOX BUY NOW! : Revolvers at GunBroker.com $425 + $20 S&H

Ruger LCR Pink 38 Spl +P NIB Revolver Special : Revolvers at GunBroker.com $475 + $30 S&H

RUGER LCR 38SP+P NIB NO RESERVE : Revolvers at GunBroker.com $450 + $35 S&H

By the time you add FFL fee's to these, you probably come out about the same as at a LGS + taxes.
    Happy Hunting!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I answered your questions one by one, in red...

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I posted a thread the other day on the topic of using a DAO hammerless revolver as the perfect pocket/running (walking) CCW, I'm thinking of adding a small revolver to my currently all semi auto stable of CCWs. Had the opportunity tonight to handle 3 different LCRs at Cabela's, .22magnum, .38+P and the big boy .357 magnum. This was the first time that I have seen 3 of 4 models all in the same place at once, i've been casually looking and only encountered the .22lr and .38 models before this. I have several questions for LCR owners:

1) I know the .357 is 17oz v 12.5oz for the .38, I could tell the difference but it didn't seem to significant. How noticeable is it when carrying especially in a pocket?
    I have the .38 LCR so I can't comment on what difference there would be with the .357.

2) How is the recoil of the .357 when loaded with magnums? My thinking is to get the .357 to have the flexibility to use that or .38 depending on preference and ammo availability. I know this isn't a fun gun to range shoot, but that isn't the point. There was some 22 year old tacticool Call of Duty know it all dweeb at the counter next to me that kept babbling about how he "shot it and it like jumped out of my hand"...OK buddy great. i'd like to hear from someone who has fired one in the real world, not on their Xbox.
    See my answer to #1.

3) Is it worth getting the Crimson Trace model? I have a laser on my HD gun but don't use it, don't have any others. I know the LCR sights are a joke, but I don't see it really mattering since it is made for point and shoot situations. Also, is it worth getting the model with the front FO sight? Anything more than the basic black ramp adds a lot to the price.
    I have the CTR model and I really like it. As you said, the sights on the LCR are basically useless in a defensive situation so I like having the laser if I need it.

4) Is the trigger actually as good as it seems when dry firing? It felt like the most consistent, though heavy, trigger I have ever felt in a stock revolver.
    Yes, the trigger on my LCR is better than any other small framed revolver I have shot.

5) Would you consider .38+P or .357 to be reliable stoppers for the threats I plan to face with this gun which are (in no order): aggressive dogs up to the size of a Rottweiler, coyotes (urban size), rabid raccoon (seen it already), armed robbers/crackheads? Even getting into specifics as to bullet design and weight. I should mention that I am not recoil adverse, I have shot handguns as large as .500 magnum and found it enjoyable. I frequently carry 155gr HSTs in my G27, that is the USBP load that is VERY hot for a .40 (about 1220fps).
    Any premium defensive round in .38 +P will do the job as long as you do yours. My preference in the LCR is Speer GD 135 gr Short Barrel loads.

6) Which model would you recommend? .22lr is a no go, .22 magnum while intriguing is too unknown to me and too damn hard to find, .38 or .357 are really the only options I'll consider.
    My preference is the .38. I wanted the CTR grips and +P loads are enough of a handful for me. It's controllable but I can't imagine shooting such a light revolver with those small grips in .357!

7) Fair price new? Cabela's has them at $499 and $549 for .38 and .357 respectively.
    Those seem to be reasonable prices in today's seller's market. Expect to pay close to $800 for the CTR model. I feel it's worth it. You'll have to make up your own mind on that one.

8) Any other suggestions? I looked at the S&W 442 .38, it was OK but I really like the idea of polymer since I'm going to sweat and possibly pee on the gun at some point and time.
    You'll likely get differing opinions on this one. IMO the LCR is the best option in a small lightweight revolver.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    1) Pass.

2) Stout

3) I think about lasers a lot but never buy one.

4) The trigger is all that.

5) I consider a small handgun the equivalent of a long stick and expect nothing more or less.

6) Meh

7) Those look like fair prices.

8) Please rephrase the question.

9) The Grip. Miculek approved.

Jerry2-6.gif
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

"...I really like the idea of polymer since I'm going to sweat and possibly pee on the gun at some point and time."

It's good to plan for all contingencies but I believe that this is the first time I've read of this on the Forum.
    MJB_17, OD*, 40Bob and 1 others like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I am picking up an LCR on saturday. It is a 38 spcl with lasermax centerfire laser, NIB. price was $550 + tax. Online they were all over $600. I found a standard model 38 spcl for 409 + tax but it was sold out from under me.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I've owned my Ruger KLCR .357mag for over a year now, and absolutely love it. I chose the KLCR because of ammo options. I carry Speer GD 135gr Short Barrel .357mag loads, and found them to have less recoil than most. The recoil is stout, no doubt about it, but more then manageable with the Hogue Tamer Grips. The Laser Grips, I don't know, never really liked them. I have installed a XS Big Dot Sight which increased the accuracy tremendously. I also have added Eagle FBI Rosewood Grips, and actually find them okay with .357mag loads. Contrary to some, I find the KLCR (loaded with .38spl) to be a "fun" revolver for the range and combat shooting practice (see NutNFancy video on YouTube). And the trigger is as sweet as all have said, best in it's class, and on a revolver overall. IMO, you cannot go wrong with the Ruger KLCR, it's all that and more. Good luck.
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill
    SLAINTE VAR!!

I have the .38 model & the .357 I use the .357 the most. Trigger IS very good.

I carry a LCR357 in my off hand pocket all day every day since 2010. I have fired more than 3000 rounds from it. Most of those rounds were 357. Some 357 rounds hurt to shoot some are easy and controllable you, have to pick the load you like. 38+P from the LCR357 is sweet, easy to control, And so accurate I could take a CCW test with it. I don't use lazers but, I do like the Standard dot X/S Sight. This and my SP101 are my daily carry guns. I have found the LCR trigger to be the smoothest of any stock revolver I have shot.
    Last edited by Haywood; April 25th, 2013 at 03:57 PM.

A couple of comments:

A. Take a look at the grips. The standard grips are great for the range but had too much friction and were inconvenient for concealed carry. The laser and the boot grips seem better in this respect. I think there are models with boot grips and night sights already installed so it is something to consider.

B. Shake the LCR. It makes a little noise when it moves and it is by design. This bugs some... It doesn't bother me. Make sure you are aware of this.

C. I carry mine with a remora iwb. It disappears even with shorts held by a string. I would go with the 38 to save the weight. If I need more firepower I take a Glock. The beauty of the LCR for me, is its ease of carry.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    My wife has a LCR-CT .38 and loves it, but before extensive training was not to fond of the felt recoil and now considers it just an opportunity cost to carry a liked gun. She shoots wad cutters during training, they reduce recoil just a bit. I have used it for low light live fire laser training, never noticed the felt recoil and did much better with it than with myXD40-CT.

Wife's LCR does not rattle.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    It's good to plan for all contingencies but I believe that this is the first time I've read of this on the Forum.
    Haha yea I threw this in there among all the serious questions to see if anyone was really reading all of what I wrote. Kind of like a range rules statement you have to "read" that halfway through tells you to tell the RSO that the Dukes of Hazard is an awesome show.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerista View Post
    A couple of comments:

A. Take a look at the grips. The standard grips are great for the range but had too much friction and were inconvenient for concealed carry. The laser and the boot grips seem better in this respect. I think there are models with boot grips and night sights already installed so it is something to consider.

B. Shake the LCR. It makes a little noise when it moves and it is by design. This bugs some... It doesn't bother me. Make sure you are aware of this.

C. I carry mine with a remora iwb. It disappears even with shorts held by a string. I would go with the 38 to save the weight. If I need more firepower I take a Glock. The beauty of the LCR for me, is its ease of carry.
    Interesting points on A and B, I didn't try the grips in my pocket but I will have to, they do seem pretty sticky. I didn't try the shake test either, I'll do that when I go visit the gun again.

Haha yea I threw this in there among all the serious questions to see if anyone was really reading all of what I wrote. Kind of like a range rules statement you have to "read" that halfway through tells you to tell the RSO that the Dukes of Hazard is an awesome show.
    One never knows about monitors. Where they are. What they're seeing.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Replies in bold.

I have the .38 LCR. I can tell the difference in weight between it and my PM9 when pocketed. I would stay with the .38.

All my defensive handguns wear CT lasers. If you have the laser, then the FO front sight is probably not needed. The CT laser grip is also a bit smaller and less grabby than the standard grip.

I really like the LCR trigger (did not even consider a J frame for this reason). That said, I am not a "trigger snob." I have two LCPs and like their triggers just fine as well.

I carry standard pressure 158 gr SWCs. I see nothing magical in +P JHPs out of a .38. Like all handgun bullets, placement and penetration trumps all else.

The .38 is plenty.

With LEO pricing I paid $600 locally for the LCR with factory CT laser grip.

Pee makes a good gun cleaner.

Kennydale likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links