Defensive Carry banner

Accessory rails.... who needs them?

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  MNBurl 
#1 ·
I'm an average guy (I think) and have had my CCW permit for over 10 years now. I carry everyday and everywhere (where it's legal :rolleyes: ) and have never thought I needed a pistol with a light attached. I carry IWB and pockets. At the LGS I saw the trend was all the NEW model guns had accessory rails. Whats that all about. :confused:

#3 ·
I do slap a light on my CCw gun before bedtime. While some might argue a weapon mounted light being a bad thing, try using the phone holding a gun and light all at once.

#5 ·
I have rails on my 226 ST but have yet to exploit them. Main reason being it's my EDC and I'd need another rig.

For HD then perhaps potentially useful but there is also the need, by default, for muzzle sweep when pointing the light.

I have no problem myself having them available - a small amount of dehorning is all that might necessary if any sharpness on edges.

#6 · (Edited)
Great for nightstand. Where a larger frame gun that you would not want to carry CCW is a nice place to have one. So having an ability to have your gun and flashlight all in one package there is a great tool. Although I doubt your going to be in anything but defensive mode (ie for home protection I doubt you will do room clearing) and perhaps you will not turn it on, there are other uses for that particular gun that might then call upon you to want to look at something. For instance investigating a noise or dealing with pesky criters. Which is simplified by the fact that if you have your gun your also have your flashlight with you. Then there is the combination factor of some of them which gives you choice of Laser or light or both. Lots of flexibility with those. Never any down side to having a tool handy and not needing it. But is a downside to not having it and wishing that you did. And at home where you can openly carry if you investigate something and find out you only used your gun for a flashlight then there is much relief in that and no concern of breaking any laws by openly walking around with a gun.

Certainly on a dedicated carry self defense gun it would be better to not have the bulk and opt for Laser and/or Night sights to aid with the use of that one. And you don't exactly want to be having to pull out your gun to use the flashlight. So in that case a seperate flashlight is almost a must. Certainly having it on the gun limits it usefullness for concealed carry.

#11 ·
Regarding these "tactical lights" on handguns - in addition to being your flashlight, are these tactical flashlights suitable for aiming the weapon, too (like a laser)? Would someone mount a light AND a laser on the same weapon?

I don't have any of that stuff but am curious as to how useful it might be. My better half won't abide further firearm purchases but I can probably slip a tac light or something in there if I time it correctly... :)

#12 ·
I have rails on a few glock,but never use them. I was trained never to use a flashlite or scope on weapon and aim it at a human That I did not intend to shoot. How about a bump in the night and you aim your rail lite weapon at your teenager and boom you shoot him or your wife by accident? Allso I was trained to hold the light far away from the body with the offside hand in case they fire at the light and boom your dead. A no brianer. Rail lites not for me! A Surefire in my offhand yes!

#13 ·
Regarding these "tactical lights" on handguns - in addition to being your flashlight, are these tactical flashlights suitable for aiming the weapon, too (like a laser)? Would someone mount a light AND a laser on the same weapon?
There are a few models of light that have a laser with them. They are small and compact and work well.

The flashlight is suitable for aiming.It is bright enough that you can see over your sights, however at normal shooting distances just centering the light on the target seems to work well.

They really help to identify your target and they can do it with one hand. Like any other tool there are advantages and disadvantages. The main disadvantage that I can see is the fact that a light can become a bullet magnet. Having trained in force on force drills with Simunitons, its a natural thing to aim at the light and hit whoever is behind it. On the other hand, it can be a good thing when trying to open a door with one hand and your pistol with light in it in the other. Holding a flashilght in one hand, a pistol in the other, and tryng to open a door without dropping something can be quite awkward.

How about a bump in the night and you aim your rail lite weapon at your teenager and boom you shoot him or your wife by accident?
Shooting someone by "accident" is unacceptable....one ought to be a bit more disiplined when shooting. The light will help dentify the target.

Its just another tool in the arsenal that one may choose to use at particular times. Just having it there to use can be an asset. Nothing says you have to leave it on, and most have "bump" switches. Quick on...quick off. Its definatley better than nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.