XDs Range report

This is a discussion on XDs Range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I completed the testing of my new Springfield XDs by putting a box of my carry ammo through it. First the Specs: CALIBER .45 ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Old_Dog
  • 1 Post By Tundra5.7
  • 1 Post By Old_Dog

Thread: XDs Range report

XDs Range report

Today I completed the testing of my new Springfield XDs by putting a box of my carry ammo through it. First the Specs:

CALIBER .45 ACP
    CAPACITY 5 + 1 RDS
    WEIGHT 21.5 oz.
    BARREL MELONITE®
    Fully Supported Ramp
    SIGHTS STEEL DOVETAIL REAR
    FIBER OPTIC FRONT
    SLIDE FORGED STEEL
    FRAME BLACK POLYMER
    MAGAZINES 2 STAINLESS STEEL SINGLE STACK
    OVERALL HEIGHT with Magazine 4.4"
    OVERALL LENGTH 6.3"
    OVERALL WIDTH 1" (Slide is 0.9")

Now the picture to show you how small it really is:

XDS-Size-300x225.jpg

I had previously fired 200 rounds of practice ammo through along with some Golden Sabers during my first range trip a week ago. Since then I got my hands on some short barrel Speer 230 gr. Gold Dots and after seeing a ballitic gel test with it I decided to make it my carry ammo. I fired a string of 5 of the GD's as fast as I could at a 5" target at 7 yards with two hands and put three in the same hole and the other two near the edges of the circle. I also shot the rest of my Golden Sabers and the box of GD's and was very pleased with the gun and results.

I do have a IWB and OWB holster for the gun and it carries as expected for a lightweight single stack but it shines in my pocket. I just put it into a Mika Pocket Holster, tighten my belt and go about my business all day not bothered one bit by the gun. That translate into carrying it all the time even when I just pick up the mail. I highly recommend this gun for concealed carry even if you want a good belt gun. Get the optional 7 round mag for more fire power if you want. I put on a finger extension for my grip that works very well and Talon rubber grips to take the bite out of the checkered grip that keeps the gun in place. Recoil is surprisingly lighter than it was in my Colt Defender and New Agent. I just love this gun even though it is a polymer striker fired one. :)

I do not know what else to say because the gun had absolutely no problems or bad areas to talk about. I even liked the trigger and I usually do not like striker fired triggers. The reset, although not as short as on some of my more expensive guns, is short enough for those under the illusion that they will use it when fighting for their lives. I also tried an experiment. I keep reading about light primer strikes and failures to feed but experience none of that. One thing I learned over a few decades of hanging out at ranges and gun clubs, is that for some strange reason some people seem to buy an inordinate amount of guns that jam while others do not. I cannot remember the number of times that I tested guns at the range that were jamming for their owner only to not be able to reproduce any. When I hand them back and suggest the problem is not with the gun most are indignant. They insist that they are holding the gun tightly. Well one man's tightly is another's loosely. :) After I was done, I relaxed my grip a little until I was able to get the gun to jam consistently. Sure enough I had light primer strikes and FTF. I reloaded these rounds, tightened my grip back to normal and fired them with no problems and another 25 just to make sure. Hey, it does not mean you are a wimp. I cannot shoot an LCP without jamming it. It is just not a good fit for my hand.

I am very fussy about my carry guns. Not many will spend the money to buy close to 40 carry guns to find a few that work the best for him. I primarily carry the XDs in my pocket with no problems at all. I wear Wrangler or Lee relaxed fit jeans and regular looking shorts with a Tee Shirt. I shop with my gun so I can check out my pants to make sure the pockets are deep enough. I buy a few Tall sized shirts in my regular size because they are longer and will cover your pocket and allow you to pocket carry even a compact sized gun. I make pocket carry work and do not sacrifice caliber to do so. It is so comfortable that I truly do carry all the time unlike my friends who say they do but seem to have forgotten to the times I am with them. :) The XDs is reasonably priced compare to my $1000 Colt Defender and a heck of a lot more reliable too. If you are a .45 kind of guy/gal, give the XDs a try. Not for beginners or those whose hands are not used to rough use.
    ironmike86 and dV8r like this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

2. Remove Ads

I have said this before, but the p238 an xds45 are my two favorite carry guns. I also like pocket carry in a recluse. I also agree that this is by far the most comfortable for me. Both guns have been 100% in every way for me. I tried others including glock but the xds just felt much better and more accurate for me.

I alternate carry between a Sig P938 and XDs45 right now. Love them both for different reasons. The Sig is more comfortable and hugs my waist slightly better but I do like how the Springfield is harder to knock out of battery but I don't think the fiber daytime sights are a great choice. Once I get tru-glo or some other night sights on the XDs I'll be carrying it a lot more. I have found an amazing holster maker that's affordable and have a couple of great belt solutions but we own about 4-5 types of holsters for our guns, even one for the ankle from time to time. It took me about a month of firing the XDs before the rounds stopped hitting slightly left. Partly me, and part gun break-in. My wife may start carrying the P938 and I may take the P238 equinox back as a back up BUG. I carry to the mailbox, I carry walking the dog. If I have pants on I'm armed.

If anyone tells you 9mm is wimpy have them watch this short video. It's not super clear the 45ACP XDs will be more effective than the 9mm Sig.

XDs 230gr 45ACP compared to 9mm P938 with hornady CD. The 9mm blew my mind in this test.
    Bullet testing 45ACP gold dot SB and 9mm Hornady Critical Duty - YouTube

Second video shows how well the XDs delivers energy of the 45ACP 185gr Speer gold dot defensive rounds which is pretty impressive.
    Soda bottles test with S&W governor .410 vs 45acp and 9mm - YouTube

In the end my 9mm P938 seems to have amazing energy on the target but better penetration.

I am 62 and a new shooter. I carry a Ruger SR40C. I tried out 9mm & 40cal before making my gun purchase. I really shot the 40 better (plus it gave me a thrill!). I have fired my friends 1911 (45ACP). and did fairly well. One of the complaints i have read from other Old Guys like me, was that constant recoil HURTS the hands. I personally don't have anything against 45. Just don't picture me delving into it. I really like the looks and design of Springfields XD's.

Posted this on the Xds forum Monday : Live in small town Wi., not many gangsta's around but you never know where the bad guys are . Had a 12 gauge for home protection and then the unthinkable happened, Wi. passed a concealed/carry bill, took the class and got mine last summer. this would be my first pistol. Did some reading,joined this forum and the Xdm forum and decided on the xds, despite the constant delays on the release date of the gun, and the problems I kept reading about, I wanted it because of it's size and ease of concealment and it's from Springfield. Things as they are, it took me about 8 months to finally pick one up from Bill's in Hudson Wi. on March 26th. Over the next 3 weeks I joined a local gun range, still not open because of the weather, picked up some snap caps and started handling it, kept stopping at places till I finally had around 500 rounds,ordered and installed my Tallon grips, picked up a used N8 IWB holster and a Uplulu universal loader Planned on going to my brothers this weekend, he lives in the country, to shoot the xds for the first time. Got my Frog lube in mid week and did the pre shooting coating and lube and headed to my bro's.
    I had ordered (2) of the Springfield 7 round mags, preloaded the mags w/Blazer 230 gr, Wolf gold 185 gr, Magtech 230 gr and took a 100 round box of Winchester white box. Between myself, my bro and his 115 lb girlfriend, who had never shot a pistol before, we went thru about 120 rounds and not a single hiccup from the gun or the 7 round mags. I love the gun, need to work on my shooting a bit, shot from about 10 yards and was happy w/my results for the first time out. Now to heal the top of my thumb from the first two rounds and bad hand placement. lol

Seems heavy for pocket duty, but I suppose everyone is different.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Good write up. I know a few people who have the XDS 45 and they all seem to like it.
    ccman likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I wear relaxed jeans with deep pockets and don't even notice it after awhile although the sig is lighter and my most often carry. I now have big dot night sights on my xds and really like them.

I've had my XDs since December, I had two light strikes on my first trip to the range but it has been flawless since then, I even used it to qualify for my CCW on December 26. I carry IWB at the weekend and in a pocket holster during the week (I can't carry at work so this works well). It's accurate, comfortable and reliable. It is also my only modern semi-auto, I'm a revolver guy but I like the XDs enough to make it my EDC.

+1 on the XDS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SA XDM 45 5.25 Competition Model
    SA XDS 45 3.3
    Sig P238 Pearl

My xds gave me 2 light strikes and hopefully that's it

Xds 45
    Para GI Expert
    Sig p938
    Browning bdm 9mm

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I'm still breaking in on mine. So far it's only had ball ammo and nearly all of that has been reloads. No problems at all. I need to stop saying that I'm going with Talons and just order them. The checkering is a bit more stout than is needed I think. The trigger is another story. I'll stick with it for a while. It should smooth out and I should dial in more. The jury is still out on that aspect.

Dependability seems to be the word for this one. The owner of my LGS has been a long long time 1911 guy. I guess that's why I like him so much. But he swapped his EDC to the XDs last summer and that's the way it remains. The couple of other guys that I know with the platform have done the same. All 3 are experienced shooters so I put stock in their decisions. For myself, well I'm still in break in and testing. But I suspect I know where things are headed and I'm happy about that.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I've had one for several months and I've put about 250 rounds across it, many of them hollowpoints. I love it and I only have a pocket holster for it. For IWB carry, I have an XDM and a couple of 1911's.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Joonbi View Post
    I have said this before, but the p238 an xds45 are my two favorite carry guns. I also like pocket carry in a recluse. I also agree that this is by far the most comfortable for me. Both guns have been 100% in every way for me. I tried others including glock but the xds just felt much better and more accurate for me.
    I agree with those who like the Sig P238 and P938. I also own them and love them too. I also carry an LCR and used to have a Kahr CM9 which was also very good but had a hard to rack slide for older hands.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    I'm still breaking in on mine. So far it's only had ball ammo and nearly all of that has been reloads. No problems at all. I need to stop saying that I'm going with Talons and just order them. The checkering is a bit more stout than is needed I think. The trigger is another story. I'll stick with it for a while. It should smooth out and I should dial in more. The jury is still out on that aspect.

Dependability seems to be the word for this one. The owner of my LGS has been a long long time 1911 guy. I guess that's why I like him so much. But he swapped his EDC to the XDs last summer and that's the way it remains. The couple of other guys that I know with the platform have done the same. All 3 are experienced shooters so I put stock in their decisions. For myself, well I'm still in break in and testing. But I suspect I know where things are headed and I'm happy about that.
    Get the Talons. They make a world of difference. I have had over 40 handguns and this is the first time I ever put any kind of grip on the stock grip. :) I am a long time revolver shooter so the XDs trigger is like a hair trigger to me. Honestly, when you combat shoot you do not notice, creep, crawl, travel and all that other stuff. That stuff is only important to competitive shooters. I do not practice target shooting. I do not even notice the trigger when I shoot so I cannot even tell you how it is. I pull it back and it goes bang and the bullet goes where I aimed. :)
    GeorgiaShooter likes this.

Links