Sig Ultra! Range Report (so so)

This is a discussion on Sig Ultra! Range Report (so so) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So as some may recall, the P238 for the wife was a bust. So she snagged my Kimber because, well, she gets what she wants! ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Sig Ultra! Range Report (so so)

So as some may recall, the P238 for the wife was a bust. So she snagged my Kimber because, well, she gets what she wants!

So I found a guy on Armslist who had a Sig Ultra and snagged it. I paid less for this than I did the Kimber and it has night sights and front strap checkering (two things that should be standard on 1911's IMO) so BONUS! I put my VZ grips on it and really like the look, but also like the cherry wood (maybe cocobolo) as well. What do you all think?

I just got home from the road and I haven't fired it, so we'll see if it's reliable. It won't cycle live rounds with my colt mag or Kimber blued mag. Cycles them fine with my Kimber stainless mags and the Sig mag. I have heard they are picky about mags so no alarm. Fit and finish is amazing on this gun, dare I say maybe slightly better than the Ultra Carry? But, just like the Kimber, the finishing of the barrel on the hood is terrible. Why do companies not just polish them for us? The Sig barrel is crowned though, and looks better in that regard. It looks like Sig spent a little extra time working out the small details others don't in the "non custom" 1911 world so it is nice to see.

I'll write up a full post range session report. One thing I will say for the Sig, the trigger is MUCH lighter than the Kimber. Breaks clean and crisp, very series 70ish, but it is a series 80 gun.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by smolck; April 26th, 2013 at 05:29 PM.
    1MoreGoodGuy and kmagnuss like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Very nice looking gun. Cant wait to hear more on it.

Looks like a very nice pistol, there.

After 1000rds, definitely consider doing a Range Report write-up with lots of photos. I'm sure you'll have everyone drooling.

And if you end up sending it to, say, Clark Custom Guns for some special treatment, I'm sure any write-up you then do will have everyone fainting outright from the beauty and function. The "oooh! ahhhs!" will be deafening.

Enjoy. Hopefully it'll take your mind off your "lost" Kimber.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Looks like a very nice pistol, there.

After 1000rds, definitely consider doing a Range Report write-up with lots of photos. I'm sure you'll have everyone drooling.

And if you end up sending it to, say, Clark Custom Guns for some special treatment, I'm sure any write-up you then do will have everyone fainting outright from the beauty and function. The "oooh! ahhhs!" will be deafening.

Enjoy. Hopefully it'll take your mind off your "lost" Kimber.
    Thanks! So many ideas running through my head. I am really liking the Sig, of course, that could all change after some rounds go through it! And good call on the long term report, will do for sure. . I hope to not buy any more guns anytime soon. I have all I need right now! Need to buy AMMO and shoot, not buy!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Looks awesome, congrats!
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I hope to not buy any more guns anytime soon. I have all I need right now!
    Blasphemy!!!

Congrats! I am sure your wife will let you shoot her new gun once in a while! Like CCW9MM, I am looking forward to the range report.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I agree with the comment on the night sights and front strap serrations. The two gripes about my Ultra carry, and night sights are on the way so thats an issue that will be fixed soon. Interested to hear how it holds up to the Kimber in terms of reliability and accuracy.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

years ago when I sold guns part time, I always marveled that SIG pays more attention to the inside of the firearm than most companies
    do to the exterior. I think you'll find that the SIG is a better gun than the Kimber.....even with the external extractor.
    Just a disclaimer: I don't own a SIG or a Kimber so take what I say with a big grain of salt.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Love the grips.

I just picked up this one

Sig Ultra Compact 1911.jpg
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    So I found a guy on Armslist who had a Sig Ultra and snagged it. I put my VZ grips on it and really like the look, but also like the cherry wood (maybe cocobolo) as well. What do you all think?
    You need more grips. Say, a nice set of heavily-checkered 18-LPI Gaboon ebony. And another in Bocote. Perhaps another in heavily-figured Desert Ironwood or Leopard wood. A sexy set in, oh, Amboyna burl or Tasmanian fiddleback eucalyptus burl. Dress for "success."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Whatever you do DON'T let the wife shoot it, or you'll be back looking for another gun again!
    smolck, MrsHB, phreddy and 2 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Whatever you do DON'T let the wife shoot it, or you'll be back looking for another gun again!
    Won't make that mistake again!

Nice gun! I vote for the cherry wood grips.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Love the grips.

I just picked up this one

Sig Ultra Compact 1911.jpg
    Same exact gun I have. Just different grips!

Off to the range!

Waaaaait a minute. Isn't there a pink gun over there that you're supposed to be carrying?

Very nice pistola there smolck! I don't think you're going to be disappointed.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links