Flip flops and snubbies

Flip flops and snubbies

This is a discussion on Flip flops and snubbies within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that some of the country has just recently been hit with a late snow but down here, Spring has finally busted out. I'm ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By svgheartland
  • 7 Post By Ransom
  • 4 Post By nathanjns
  • 1 Post By marcclarke
  • 1 Post By tooldawg99

Thread: Flip flops and snubbies

Distinguished Member

Flip flops and snubbies

I know that some of the country has just recently been hit with a late snow but down here, Spring has finally busted out. I'm hoping that Summer doesn't hurry too quickly to take over. Hay season will get here quick enough. But I digress. With warm weather comes a change in clothing and that typically calls for rethinking in my carry.

For some reason I became a bit obsessive last year on what fit the bill for warm weather carry. I'd dumped a P238 and the ease of having that little platform was gone. After a lot of wrangling and what-if'ing, I finally settled on the 638. Again. Well duh. It's the same as its always been and it's rock steady. Snubs are so versatile for warm weather. I still havent found my perfect pocket holster for days that that's in order but I keep trying. The Remora is great but I don't like the added bulk. I've got a nifty little kydex pocket holster made by a local guy but it chews up the finish on the 638 in an unnecessary manner. There's no need for that. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

I may end up with a LCP before its over but I hope not. I don't want to go back to second guessing myself on a caliber that I'm not overly confident in. 38+P is a decent little package and I shoot my snubbie better than I deserve.

But here's a tip.....for free. Forget that ankle holster when you slap on the flip flops and show those milk jug legs for the first time. That dog don't hunt. See what you get for free?
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    I know that some of the country has just recently been hit with a late snow but down here, Spring has finally busted out. I'm hoping that Summer doesn't hurry too quickly to take over. Hay season will get here quick enough. But I digress. With warm weather comes a change in clothing and that typically calls for rethinking in my carry.

For some reason I became a bit obsessive last year on what fit the bill for warm weather carry. I'd dumped a P238 and the ease of having that little platform was gone. After a lot of wrangling and what-if'ing, I finally settled on the 638. Again. Well duh. It's the same as its always been and it's rock steady. Snubs are so versatile for warm weather. I still havent found my perfect pocket holster for days that that's in order but I keep trying. The Remora is great but I don't like the added bulk. I've got a nifty little kydex pocket holster made by a local guy but it chews up the finish on the 638 in an unnecessary manner. There's no need for that. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

I may end up with a LCP before its over but I hope not. I don't want to go back to second guessing myself on a caliber that I'm not overly confident in. 38+P is a decent little package and I shoot my snubbie better than I deserve.

But here's a tip.....for free. Forget that ankle holster when you slap on the flip flops and show those milk jug legs for the first time. That dog don't hunt. See what you get for free?
    Is that the voice of experience we're hearing?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Well I find it clashes with the sky blue socks I wear with my strap on geezer sandals
    ctr and Hopyard like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

For pocket carry I like the Desantis Nemesis. It is thinner than a Remora and easier to draw from.

We grew up calling flip flops "thongs". We still like to do it because it makes our kids cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    For pocket carry I like the Desantis Nemesis. It is thinner than a Remora and easier to draw from.

We grew up calling flip flops "thongs". We still like to do it because it makes our kids cringe.
    Its probably the mental image they get when you and "thong" are contained in the same thought that causes them to cringe. LOL
    Ransom, Snub44, sioux565 and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Well I find it clashes with the sky blue socks I wear with my strap on geezer sandals
    I use my snow white legs just like my flashlight with the strobe setting! I blind them first and it hides my slow draw of my LCR when pocket carrying!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I live where it is hot more of the year than not. Shorts and t-shirts have been a need even in December sometimes. I can carry most of my guns with just that. I don't like changing my carry method. Oh, sure, I tend to IWB a little more in the summer, but I don't own a gun that isn't completely hideable. Today I wore a compact 1911 OWB with just a t-shirt, nobody noticed. Sure love me a good wheelie gun though so rock on!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

It is very cold to wear flip-flops while there is still snow on the ground. Please do not ask me how I know this.
    smolck likes this.

I prefer shoes. My wife, however prefers flips, or no shoes at all.

Seems like most women would just as soon go barefoot.

Boots year round for me.

I may be mis-reading this, but are you making a statement about ankle holsters? Or milk jug legs?

For what it's worth, ankle carry has been a viable concealed carry method for probably 100 years, and it isn't going out of style anytime soon. There are those of us who don't wear little-boy-pants, and there are many occasions where ankle carry is a perfect choice for concealed carry.

Certainly if one is not to the point of wearing big-boy-pants, ankle carry is not an option.

Now if your point was in opposition to milk-jug-legs, I agree 100%, and it further makes my point that most men are best served by wearing big-boy-pants. Yes, I know it gets hot in the summer. I live in South Carolina, and 100 degree days hit us here...but many of us manage to conduct business and pleasure donning said big-boy-pants. And ankle holsters. ;)
    msgt/ret likes this.

For pocket carry I had a buddy of mine that does custom car interior work make me some pocket holsters out of upholstery vinyl. They're made so that a flap folds down inside of it and doubles up the vinyl layer without adding a bunch of bulk. Works great.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Simple uncle mikes # 3 or 4 works best. They work, their light and thin.

Sponsored Links