Why I Don't Own A Glock (I know i am going to stir the hornets nest)

This is a discussion on Why I Don't Own A Glock (I know i am going to stir the hornets nest) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1)I love my Ruger SR40c (have to get that out of the way) 2)I don't hate or dislike Glocks, just not for me at this ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Why I Don't Own A Glock (I know i am going to stir the hornets nest)

1)I love my Ruger SR40c (have to get that out of the way)
    2)I don't hate or dislike Glocks, just not for me at this time (my gun has to be for carry & home defense)

I like some features that Glock has. i like the interchangeability of their mags into any model of same caliber. I like their very pronounced reset. I don't like their feel in my hand. (the Ruger beats them in that by far). I appreciate the Ruger safety trigger (Very Glock like). But in the same sense that's all the safety you get with a Glock. It's not a definitive Bad vs Good. its a matter of personnel choice. They say safety is a mental exercise. The gun instructor i had side works as a personnel body guard, so a manual safety obviously slows him down. I also believe Glocks not very forgiving. They are finicky, and maybe a bit too unforgiving to a novice. maybe sometime time in the future, I'll change my mind. Right now price wise , quality wise i'll stick with Ruger & Smith & Wesson (in that order).
    dV8r likes this.

I can understand you not liking the grip and lack of thumb safety, but I'm not sure what you mean by "unforgiving".
    Darrow75 likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

VIP Member
    All my guns are pretty unforgiving.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

For carry or home defense, I would say Glock is very adequate for either of those. Last year, I bought my first Glock, a G34 Gen 4. Very nice shooter. Never a hiccup. Works wonderfully, especially since I polished the trigger internals.

I recently watched an episode of "Tac TV" where Larry Vickers subjected a couple of Glocks to a series of torture tests (dirt, water, freezing, run over with truck, drop our of helicopter, blow up with explosives) and both Glocks pulled through in working order. Very impressive.......
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    To each their own when it comes to guns, it either works for you or it doesn't, enjoy yours and be safe.

I have always felt the same about the grip. I am a S&W EDC (m&p 9c & 1911) but I have to say that Glock is in my choice list for next purchase.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Distinguished Member
    Ok? Have you shot any glocks yet?

I hated glocks, especially how the grip felt . . . That is, until one day I broke down and decided to shoot one, then a lot things made sense to me. To each their own though, I like rugers and S&W's too. What do you mean by " glocks are finicky and unforgiving "?
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    1)I appreciate the Ruger safety trigger (Very Glock like). But in the same sense that's all the safety you get with a Glock. It's not a definitive Bad vs Good. its a matter of personnel choice. They say safety is a mental exercise.
    I guess I have never been afraid to carry any weapon (safeties or not) locked and loaded. As long as you aren't an idiot and use a good holster, they don't go off unless you want them to do so.

As long as you like what you have I see no reason to look for a Glock. Different strokes and all that. Personally, I think Rugers SR line are a butt fugly group of guns.
    multistage likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I don't understand your " unforgiving" comment either. I own one Glock a g30sf which has been flawless so far(500+\-)
    You should be very intimate with what you carry( not saying your not) and know excatly how it feels/ function.
    My biggest beach is I can't go to the range to practice with my rotation until this stupidity settles down.

I felt exactly the same way when I first started shooting handguns. Glocks just didn't feel right in the hand and was wary of a lack of an external safety. It's only been in the past year or so since I realized they fit my hand the best. Strangely enough it was photography that caused this. The grip of a dslr is similar to a glock (thickness wise). Now it just feels more natural to handle a glock and I've since gotten used to no external safety.

Recently I have been interesting in other makes and just picked up a shield. Having options keeps one sane and I might find something better. At least that's the excuse I use to buy more guns.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Lets see I have 1 G17 2 G19's and hate all of them, if you are a Glock owner and hate it please send it to me and I will put it in my safe where it can't bother you any more.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    I don't understand your " unforgiving" comment either. I own one Glock a g30sf which has been flawless so far(500+\-)
    You should be very intimate with what you carry( not saying your not) and know excatly how it feels/ function.
    My biggest beach is I can't go to the range to practice with my rotation until this stupidity settles down.
    Only thing I can think of is the tendency of the Glock 23 to hiccup if you are a limp wrist.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

It's not a definitive Bad vs Good. its a matter of personnel choice.
    Personal choice is what it's all about my friend. Some like Glocks. Some don't. I happen to like them but then I like last century revolvers too. "Ain't that America, land of the free, little pink houses for you and me."

"Ain't that America, land of the free, little pink houses for you and me."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=malnd19Ttyk

That's the great thing!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I own a SR9 and SR45 and a Glock 19 and a Glock 32.

In my opinion the trigger on the Rugers are lighter than the Glocks. When I have them unloaded and dry firing them for fun, I find the SR's drop the firing pin easier. Glocks have a "hard break" to overcome to get it to fire.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links