Glock or SA

This is a discussion on Glock or SA within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm at the early stages of investigation of my next firearm purchase. I'm narrowed down to 2. They are not the same caliber, and are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock or SA

Glock or SA

I'm at the early stages of investigation of my next firearm purchase. I'm narrowed down to 2. They are not the same caliber, and are apples and oranges in size. I carry compact and full size firearms, so size isn't a factor for me. My choices are the Glock 20 Gen 4 ( 10mm). And Springfield XD-S in .45. I have fired both and am very impressed equally. Ballisticly we all know the power of the 45, but in my research I've come to find the 10mm more devastating. I am a reloader who currently loads 45, 9, 223, and 12 gauge. To me having another caliber to load is icing on the cake. Not to mention 10mm is not quite as popular as the 45. I still have at least a few months before I make my purchase. I'm looking for honest opinions. Not looking to start a brand war. Just some fun informative bantor. Thanks much!!
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I Have reloaded thousands & thousands of .45 acp's over the years for good reason, .45 acp's are easy to reload.
    The .45 acp is a fairly low pressure round so that means the case doesen't stretch much if at all so brass lasts & lasts and .45 brass is easy to find as are the cheaper hardcast lead bullets. Easy to reload and hoot to shoot the .45 acp has a bunch going for it.

I have never owned nor reloaded for the 10mm. I know the operating pressure is much higher than .45 so I would assume the case would need to be trimmed from time to time & the case life would be shorter. 10 mm just isen't all that common and it would be doubtful one would ever find any great bargins buying 10 mm brass.

However the ballistics of the 10 mm are just outstanding! Lots of horsepower and in a portable easy to carry package. The caliber is big enough to hunt deer with and it would give me great comfort packing one in the backcountry.
    I love bigbore revolvers in that role,but something about carrying a .41 magnum equivalnt handgun in a 1911 platform that shoots eight times before a reload is very appealing to me!

Both great rounds, good luck in your decision!

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Well your on the right path, you have handled both and shot both of them. Think back to when shooting them.........which one felt more like a normal extension of yourself? That is the one to go with. They both make great guns but I would tend to lean towards the Glock if it were me but it's not. Get what you like best.

What is you plan for the new gun? Yes, 10mm is a great round and much more powerful than a 45acp, even more power than a 357 magnum. However, in my opinion as one who was shooting and handloading the 10mm before it became "cool", it is my opinion that for the purposes of SD , the 45ACP will give you all you want, and for that matter, so will the 40 or 9mm.

Now, if you plan on hunting, then its a valid,as a matter of fact...the only logical choice for you. Also its a good round for hiking where Black bears or wild hogs may be a concern, properly loaded of course.
    Its really a niche caliber, but in the G29 it can be as easily concealed as the G30, and is definitely hell on wheels loaded with a 135-155 weight bullet.

Now, as far as the XD guns, I cant stand the way they look. I have always thought they looked like a cartoon gun. Moreover, the bore axis is higher than that of the Glock, which makes it feel strange and top heavy, giving it more felt muzzle flip. But this is my opinion, and others like the design and ergos.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    It is good you reload due to many/most of the current 10mm loadings being at or closer to .40 S&W levels than the original 10mm Norma and the boutique "hot rods" are expensive and not commonly found in LGS's. I've owned a G29 and didn't like the shortened grip frame, if I had gotten a G20 I would likely have it still. I fed my G29 a diet of only hotter 10 Millie rounds and I found it excellent as a woods gun.

To compare apples to apples though I own a SA Service .40 and a G23; I prefer the GLOCK for carry. It is only slightly lighter/more compact, but balances and carries much better IWB. Quality is apparent in both platforms, both of my examples are equally reliable, well built, with extra parts/holster availability going to GLOCK.

Springfield Armory XD pistols = trigger and grip safety. And they're very accurate. Win.
    SCXDm9 likes this.

I have an XDS .45 (I know not an XD model) and a Glock 20sf.

I love both, but I bought them each for different applications.

The XDS is my EDC and the Glock 20sf (complete with Buffalo Bore Hard Cast 220gr) is my "Woods" gun for the occasions I have to head to remote mountain top cell site locations. I'm currently on the hunt for a Glock 29 Gen 4 as a possible alternate CCW gun for the times I feel like carrying something different than the XDS.

I guess it all boils down to what you plan on using the purchase for?

Apples and oranges. Get what you want. If you can't decide, get both.

Blunt, but accurate.

There's a very good chance my next gun will be the XDs .45 If you're wondering about brand distinction, I'd say just go and shoot both of them. Personally, I like how the XD shoots a bit better than I like the Glocks. However, I wouldn't trade my G23 for the world, and I shot the G35 the other day and am now wondering if I shouldn't buy that instead of XDs .45 because I had about an inch and a half grouping at 15 yards with 5 shots (I know many of you probably shoot better than that, but I was pretty dang happy!) So in short, you probably can't go wrong.

I guess the real question is, do you want a reason to reload a different caliber? If so, go for the 10mm. If not, go for the .45.

The only other thing for me is that I EDC my XDSC, and I like having the grip safety on it. This way, when I re-holster, I re-grip so that I'm not pressing on the grip safety and then have a ND when my shirt, pants, or something else catches the trigger. But that's more of a rookie thing for me, I think.

Well, normally I would say go with the XDs because the Glock 20 is a really big gun and 10mm ammo is expensive and hard to come by in loadings that make it worth it. Because you already have guns to carry, and you reload I am going to say go for the Glock. 10mm is really a fun round and the Glock 20 is by far the best platform for it. I got out of 10mm years ago because I stopped reloading, but I do miss it sometimes. A 135 grain JHP at about 1350 FPS is fairly soft shooting but still knocks down plates like it means it.

That's a tough choice. I had to make it too. I ultimately went with the Glock due to the service history and easier concealability. The XD was just too chunky for me. Shame because it's really a pleasure to shoot and hold the SA.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Springfield Armory XD pistols = trigger and grip safety. And they're very accurate. Win.
    The grip safety is one more mechanical feature that quite frankly, I don't want or need and is one more thing that has the possibility of malfunctioning. I love how well the XD's feel in my hand but for whatever reason, I shoot Glocks better. So for me, Glock would be the choice here.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I owned an XDM 4.5 40 for a couple years. I've also shot several others.

I ended up selling it for a Glock for these reasons...

Triggers- To me they are mushy and sloppy. Lots of take up and a very long reset. Then good luck affording an upgrade! That's about $150 venture.

Sights- XDM sights are milled. Good luck trying to install a sight upgrade yourself.

No compensated models!

So I now own a Glock 23C!

In God and Glock we Trust

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedinPA View Post
    I'm at the early stages of investigation of my next firearm purchase. I'm narrowed down to 2. They are not the same caliber, and are apples and oranges in size. I carry compact and full size firearms, so size isn't a factor for me. My choices are the Glock 20 Gen 4 ( 10mm). And Springfield XD-S in .45. I have fired both and am very impressed equally. Ballisticly we all know the power of the 45, but in my research I've come to find the 10mm more devastating. I am a reloader who currently loads 45, 9, 223, and 12 gauge. To me having another caliber to load is icing on the cake. Not to mention 10mm is not quite as popular as the 45. I still have at least a few months before I make my purchase. I'm looking for honest opinions. Not looking to start a brand war. Just some fun informative bantor. Thanks much!!
    I have an XDs .45. I bought it for summer carry. I wanted something with more thump than the P238 for when I can't hide my G19 or 26. The XDs fits in a pocket, just, and not all pockets - but it fits in the jeans I wear the most in the summer. (I'm retired.) It's a newer gun design than I usually buy, but so far it's been flawless.

Other than as a curio, the caliber for the man who has everything and more money than he knows what to do with, the 10mm strikes me as the wrong cartridge for a defense gun. I have never seen anyone, including an IDPA master class shooter, who could shoot it nearly as well as either a 9 or a .45. The load has been scaled down and the FBI stopped using it for a reason - very few of their agents could shoot it well. It may have fantastic numbers, but it sucks for most people to shoot - not a good thing in a gun fight. I shot a Glock 10mm with full up original spec loads exactly once. That was enough for me. I shoot the XDs .45 much better. The pushy low pressure .45 recoil is much more friendly than the high pressure mule kick from the 10mm.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Fitch, I hear and respect your opinion. But it's hard for me to think that anyone with any shooting experience with any magnum handgun would find a Glock 10mm anything but pleasent to shoot.

Maybe it's just me, and I realize that recoil is a subjective thing; but I have found the Glock to be very easy to shoot, even with one hand. The wider frame of the big Glock and polymer frame soak up and disputes the recoil impulses in such a way that it feels no different than a 40 in the smaller frames.

Bit of course, I realize opinions vary, and there is no right or wrong with respect to opinions, I just thought I'd add my take on it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links