Trading/Selling M&P9c for 40c

This is a discussion on Trading/Selling M&P9c for 40c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently own two M&Ps: a fullsize 40 (with 9mm and 357 Sig barrels) and a 9c that I currently use as a carry gun. ...

Thread: Trading/Selling M&P9c for 40c

I currently own two M&Ps: a fullsize 40 (with 9mm and 357 Sig barrels) and a 9c that I currently use as a carry gun. As many of you know, the 40/40c can be changed to the 9mm and 357 setups relatively easily, but the 9mm cannot. It finally occurred to me today:

WHY DID I BUY A 9C??????

I like the 9c, carry it frequently, but i'm just stuck in 9mm with it. I use the full size usually set up for .40 as my HD gun and may use it in 357 one I get to actually shoot the barrel (just got it yesterday). I really think it makes sense for me to trade/sell my 9c and get a 40c, then if I want order a 9mm barrel for another $70 or so an d possibly a 357 one later. I currently have 5 full size .40/357 mags, I know opinions vary greatly, but for an HD situation I'm likely to face I am comfortable with 75 rounds for that weapon (just my personal opinion).

I need guidance on valuation and approach to selling/trading the 9c and getting a 40c. My 9c is completely stock, I have the 2 12rd mags it came with and I have fired about 700 rounds through it since I bought it in December for $500. I know of a few LGS that do trades/consignment, but I need to figure otu a fair valuation to use in negotiating. I want to get as much as I can for what I have, I know I can likely (dependent on find one) buy a new stock 40c at Academy for around $500 now, LGS will vary. I will NOT pay an inflated price, in this case anything over $525.

Thanks in advance for the help, if anyone has guidance/info specific to the DFW area also that would be great, either via reply or PM.

I would think placing an add for a even trade, 9c for 40c would be the way to go, otherwise you'll lose money for a sort of sideway's move.

Converting a .40 to a 9mm won't be 100% reliable because of the larger breach face and the increased distance between the extractor and ejector. I convert my full size .40 to 9mm with a factory barrel swap. Extraction seems fine but ejection is weak and maybe 1-2 times per 200 rounds, I'll have a stovepipe but it is very easily fixed. It's good enough for range work.

If you want to carry a 9mm, buy an M&P9c. If you want to carry a .40, buy an M&P40c. Because all other things are the same, a .40 to .357 Sig barrel swap should be completely reliable. Replacement barrels for the M&P series are backordered all over the place. It will be a while before you get one.

It is more common to find people trading down to 9mm than trying to trade up. I recommend finding a local gun classifieds forum and putting up a trade ad if you really want to go through with it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I currently own two M&Ps: a fullsize 40 (with 9mm and 357 Sig barrels) and a 9c that I currently use as a carry gun. As many of you know, the 40/40c can be changed to the 9mm and 357 setups relatively easily, but the 9mm cannot. It finally occurred to me today:

WHY DID I BUY A 9C??????

I like the 9c, carry it frequently, but i'm just stuck in 9mm with it. I use the full size usually set up for .40 as my HD gun and may use it in 357 one I get to actually shoot the barrel (just got it yesterday). I really think it makes sense for me to trade/sell my 9c and get a 40c, then if I want order a 9mm barrel for another $70 or so an d possibly a 357 one later. I currently have 5 full size .40/357 mags, I know opinions vary greatly, but for an HD situation I'm likely to face I am comfortable with 75 rounds for that weapon (just my personal opinion).

I need guidance on valuation and approach to selling/trading the 9c and getting a 40c. My 9c is completely stock, I have the 2 12rd mags it came with and I have fired about 700 rounds through it since I bought it in December for $500. I know of a few LGS that do trades/consignment, but I need to figure otu a fair valuation to use in negotiating. I want to get as much as I can for what I have, I know I can likely (dependent on find one) buy a new stock 40c at Academy for around $500 now, LGS will vary. I will NOT pay an inflated price, in this case anything over $525.

Thanks in advance for the help, if anyone has guidance/info specific to the DFW area also that would be great, either via reply or PM.
    I have never been able to trade equitably with a gun store. That said, your 9c should command a decent resale price with a private buyer. New M&Ps are currently hard to find around here, and much more expensive than they were a few months ago.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Right now, I'm kind of leaning towards doing a straight up sale of the 9c and then buying a new 40c, probably from a sporting goods store like I did the 9c. I have no concerns about the bolt face size, I know the measurements are a bit different, but I have a factory 9mm barrel for my full size 40 and have fired probably 3000 rounds through it and had less than 10 malfunctions total.

It isn't that I don't want to carry 9mm, I will still have at least one 9mm CC gun if I do make them switch. What I am looking for is the flexibility to change my primary caliber for the gun easily, especially with the wildly fluctuating ammo supply situation right now. I have other guns in both .40 and .357 Sig already, and have a solid supply of ammo in both for CC use, with a 40c I would be able to use all three calibers with the proper barrels and mags (I already have 5 9mm mags). I have all the carry accessories for the M&P already also (holsters, mag carriers etc) so that's not an issue.

There is a gun show in Fort Worth this coming weekend, unfortunately I'll miss it since I'll be away. What is the best way to list/do a straight up sale? I've looked on Gunbroker many times but never done a transaction, local sales (DFW area for me) are also preferred since the hassle factor is lower.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    OP do you need a New M&P40c? or would you trade for a used one? I might know someone who would trade his M&P40c which has minimal rounds/use on it. Let me know. I'll give him a call if you are interested.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Links