Walther PPQ M2 Short Review

This is a discussion on Walther PPQ M2 Short Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As many long time DC members know I have done a few reviews over the years and rarely do I take the time unless I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Walther PPQ M2 Short Review

VIP Member

Walther PPQ M2 Short Review

As many long time DC members know I have done a few reviews over the years and rarely do I take the time unless I feel something is worth the time to review. Lets begin.....

I have wanted a PPQ for quite some time and for some reason I just never got around to it. I think another reason that I never purchased one is because of the original paddle mag release on the trigger guard. Before all the Walther and HK fans try to convince me I will say that I think it's a fine mag release, but none of my other firearms have it. This becomes a training issue to me and that is the only reason I tend to not like them. Also there are only really two manufacturers that use them and one of them (HK), I am not a big fan of. I will elaborate on my HK opinion a little latter.

Let's fast forward to the 2013 Shot Show. I was trying to keep up with some of the new offerings from the different manufacturers and I came across a video on you tube from Walther Arms. Low and behold they were showing off the new M2 version of the PPQ, this just sent me over the edge and got me to the point in which I was going to buy a PPQ M2. In case you did not know, the M2 version has a standard mag release button. This proved a bit more challenging then I anticipated as this new model is pretty sought after, and Walther breaking away from Smith and Wesson has created a vacuum. In case you did not know S&W has been the North American distributor of Walther for the last few years. Walther is now going to do this themselves here is the US.

Well I got lucky and found one and here are my impressions, but first a little background on me. Though my name is C Hawk Glock, I love firearms. I do not just like one brand as I feel each brand has particular categories in which they have some great models. For example if you are going to hand me a 1911, give me a Colt. Colt and S&W Revolvers do it for me, and Glock's are my go to polymer firearm. I have owned and shot thousands of rounds through all of these pistols XDM's, XD's, M&P's, HK's, Sig's etc..... Why the need to give my background? Because many new folks will see my screen name and blindly think I am just a Glock guy.

Here is what I think, you can take it for what it's worth....

• Upon looking at the PPQ is looks very similar to the Walther P99 and HK's P30. In many ways the PPQ always gets called out for copying the P30's looks, but frankly the P30 copied the P99 that was introduced back in the 90's. To me, the PPQ looks as if HK, Glock, and High Point had a baby.
    • The ergonomics of this firearms are stellar. I don't think I have seen one person pick up the PPQ or HK P30 for that matter and not love the natural point and comfort of the grips. It's truly that good.
    • Field stripping is very Glock like, except just a touch more refined. Super simple with the side sliding serrations on the buttons
    • The inside of the slide is very simplistic, really not a lot of tight spots or nooks and crannies. This makes cleaning easy!
    • The PPQ sights come in a couple flavors with steel or adjustable polymer sights. There is a touch too much air between the sight posts for my liking, but they are easily serviceable. There are not a ton of sight options for the PPQ yet. You can get Mepro's, Trijicon's, and Dawson Precision fronts. This is a downfall for having a newer design!
    • The slide has excellent serrations on the front and back for press checks and general slide racking
    • The barrel has standard rifling and nice lock up. (very accurate)
    • The TRIGGER is by far the best polymer out of the box trigger I have ever used. It has a smooth take up to a crisp break and a reset that is one tenth of an inch. There are three guns that I can shoot really fast that are not 1911's. Glock, PPQ, Sig (SRT) are all very fast, but the PPQ has them beat as the reset is just super short and fast.
    • Accuracy is fantastic, I was easily able to shoot groupings comparable to my Glock's, Sig's. I would post pictures, but honestly they are not worth much. You can hand me almost any firearm and I will shoot good groups with it at normal combat yardage.
    • Capacity is 15+1 of 9mm with the option of a 17 round magazine.
    • The new M2 mag release button is great as I do not have to adjust my grip at all to hit it with the medium back strap. I don't have long fingers and so I love how well they thought about the placement of the button.

A couple downsides to the PPQ

• Lack of availability of sights and accessories ( I think this will change with the PPQ popularity and age)
    • Trigger may be a bit too much for a new shooter to handle. It will increase confidence because it will aid in accuracy, but it may be a touch too light and fast on the reset. (Personally I love it, but could see new shooters needing to train with it)

Final Conclusion

The Walther PPQ is a fantastic choice for a duty gun or concealed carry firearm. It is very similar in size to the Glock 19 and is a great combination of size and firepower. To me, it's a more refined then Glock and the gun that the HK P30 wanted to be. Do yourself a favor and save the money in not buying an HK P30, you will get all the benefits of German engineering with a fantastic trigger to boot. The latter of which the HK P30 is seriously lacking. I have also never picked up a P30 in which the slide release/slide stop was not loose and rattling around. The PPQ has a very similar slide release that is more refined and tight. Please take note HK! My intent is not to bash HK, I just have to call it like I see it. I really wanted to love my P30L, but it just does not deliver for me like the PPQ does.

Now onto the Glock comparison. Yes the PPQ is another version of a Glock clone no doubt about it. It does many things better then Glock and has some features I really like, but I have yet to find another firearm with the sheer amount of choices and availability that Glock has. For that reason Glock will stay as my all around weapons platform for now. I am totally invested in Glock with many models, holsters and magazines that are compatible. If I were to start all over again, the PPQ would be at the top of my list. They have some nice offerings for their platform, for example PPS, PPQ, PPQ 5 inch etc.... I am looking forward to shooting this PPQ more and really hope that Walther's US take over of their own sales and distribution goes as well as I think it will. You definitely see more PPQ's in my future.

Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

Nice review! I recently added a PPQ M2 to my collection. I also have a P99 and can use either style mag release. I have to agree with you about Walther's implementation of the button for the mag release. It is the only button style gun I have that I do not have to change grip to use the mag release. They did a fine job. The trigger on the PPQ is absolutely fantastic, I love it! I have added meprolight night sights and have a holster ordered. This will probably become my go to ccw.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjr_Fail View Post
    Nice review! I recently added a PPQ M2 to my collection. I also have a P99 and can use either style mag release. I have to agree with you about Walther's implementation of the button for the mag release. It is the only button style gun I have that I do not have to change grip to use the mag release. They did a fine job. The trigger on the PPQ is absolutely fantastic, I love it! I have added meprolight night sights and have a holster ordered. This will probably become my go to ccw.
    The PPQ really is an amazing firearm. I am glad you are liking it and it will serve as a fantastic EDC. As far as the comment about the M2 and button placement, I cannot believe that it took this long to get it right. For others with long fingers I am sure they are thinking "what are they talking about", but for folks with regular to short fingers it's a real struggle to hit a mag release button without changing your grip.

I am sure I missed a couple things in the review, but it's just a snapshot in time. I am very curious as to what some of the other members think who have had experience with this firearm. I also want to make sure that I did not come across arrogant in not posting pictures of targets. My intent was honesty as I really do believe the shooter makes up for more of the accuracy percentage then the handgun. Most firearms will do what you tell them to do.

I have a PPQ classic/m1 whatever you want to call it. It is my EDC as well. Great review but I do love that my PPQ does have a paddle mag release. Great great gun!
    .XX likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostDuck View Post
    I have a PPQ classic/m1 whatever you want to call it. It is my EDC as well. Great review but I do love that my PPQ does have a paddle mag release. Great great gun!
    Hi,

There are many who prefer the paddle and it's a great method of mag release. For me it just solely a training issue and the only reason I lke the button. Frankly the paddle does has some advantages.

DBS
    A PPQ is likely to be my next purchase. My PPS has the paddle release and I love it--I would gladly purchase a paddle release PPQ.

How easy is the gun to conceal, and what are the recommended rigs?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBS View Post
    A PPQ is likely to be my next purchase. My PPS has the paddle release and I love it--I would gladly purchase a paddle release PPQ.

How easy is the gun to conceal, and what are the recommended rigs?
    DBS-

The PPQ is about identical to a Glock 19 in terms of size except the grip is a touch longer. In cooler months a Raven concealment or clone works great with a jacket. In the summer months I like a Comptac Mtac holster for ITB. When it gets really hot I switch to a Kimber solo or Khar CM9 for pocket carry, and carry this size firearm in what I call high risk scenarios and area's. I also love to carry the PPQ in my Truck or SUV, it's pretty small with a lot of firepower. Do yourself a favor and test one out, you will be pleasantly surprised with the PPQ.

I've been carrying mine in .40 regularly for months and regularly firing it. I'm comfortably over 1000 rounds into it, mostly FMJ but a regular smattering of Speers to remember what they shoot like, and I have not had a single complaint. The gun has fired reliably, is easy to take field strip for cleaning and maintenance, and shoots tight. It has a very natural grip and point of aim, and has only had two FTF's, and they were on early reloads and I haven't had a re-occurrence since. Mine is the paddle type mag release which, between the PPS and PPQ, I find perfectly comfortable, but since both are standard carry for me, I rarely have to re-think about button mag releases. For those used to them, the M2 is just a more logical choice.

The first thing that brought me to Walthers was the ergonomics. The first one I handled was a P99 (gen 1) and it just felt great. Every iteration has felt fantastic, but the PPQ really nails it, especially with the subtle factory stippling.

The second thing, as everyone else has mentioned, is the trigger. Short take up, with a crisp break, and that amazing .10 reset. That much said, it was a bit daunting at first, and early on there were quite a few unintentional double taps. Regular practice has me feeling perfectly comfortable with it, and as the months have gone on there has been a steadily increasing availability in holsters and accessories.

As for sites, a lot of the ones that fit the latter gen P99 models will fit the PPQ, but check with the manufacturer first.

Nice looking gun! I owned a PPS for a few months, but sold it. I am thinking of picking one up again to use as my EDC.

Dadburn it, C hawk Glock, after that review my list just got longer.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    Dadburn it, C hawk Glock, after that review my list just got longer.
    Pull the trigger! You won't be sorry as the first time you pick it up you are going to love it.

VIP Member
    I thought this was interesting from Larry Vickers pretty much says what I said about the PPQ and P30..

Larry Vickers Offline
    Subject Matter Expert

I'm still very impressed with the PPQ - I only teach with it on occasion as I sell Glock parts and Glocks are the most common pistol I see in classes so unless something develops in the sponsored shooter area with the PPQ ( which is possible ) I will continue to only use it part time

I think it is the best new polymer frame striker fired handgun to come on the market in quite awhile; I really like the HK P30 and the PPQ addressed the only real issue with that pistol - the trigger

Honestly my only complaint is a lack of aftermarket sights - the gun is a winner __________________

Nice review. I have been looking for one to buy as a range gun. Too big to carry and too light a trigger for my tastes. I am and old time revolver shooter used to heavy triggers and even find the standard Glock triggers too light and put in NY1 triggers when I own them. Most of my guns have hammers and manual safeties. I like to know where my hammer is and what it is doing. Just something I grew up with and am used to. All it took was one time when practicing with an empty new Glock for my shirt tail to get caught in the trigger guard to convince me that under extreme stress re-holstering in a spot I cannot really see well is not a good idea without a manual safety or the ability to at least put my thumb on the hammer so I can feel if it starts to move.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

I know it's unrelated but the OP's signature cracks me up about the 22/45, so true.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    A note on your downside remark for the PPQ. Any sights made for the P99 or PPQ will work just fine on the PPQ. I have Trijicons on my first gen PPQ. The guide rod (optional stainless rods available from BT, Bedair, and others, both standard, and recoil reducing) In fact, the only sights I wanted for mine that I couldn't get, are TFO sights (Tritium/Fiber Optic combination) but pretty much everything else out there is available. The Trij sights, in fact, are squared off front-side of rear sights, allowing for a single-handed boot or belt racking of the slide, are amazingly bright, and available in green, yellow, or orange.

As for magazines, any PPQ/P99/S&W99/US-Made Baby Eagle mag works in the gun, including Walther, Mecgar, ProMag, and so forth, in 10, 15, 15+2 (17), 30, 32, and 33 round capacities.

The P99 as you noted has been around for about twenty years, and sharing mags, sights, and guide rods with the PPQ makes the PPQ very easy to find parts for.

There are also at least 3 companies I know right off the top of my head who offer threaded and ported barrels for the PPQ.

While many do compare the PPQ to the P99, the fact is the guns share very little in common internally except that guide rod. The triggers are entirely different, as are the frames. Personally I absolutely love the European mag releases on both my PPQ and P30, but I won't get into a debate on that topic.

Anyway, just a few things to keep in mind on the Walther. I use mine for EDC in cooler months, and my Beretta Nano in Summer weather. The PPQ is one of my favorite handguns, if for no other reason than it's absolutely amazing trigger. I have $200 into trigger work on my P30 DA/SA, and even with that, it can't come close to the PPQ right out of the box.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links