proper revolver grip problem....

This is a discussion on proper revolver grip problem.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This one is for the wheel gun guys, or anyone else whpo wants to play.... I picked up my ruger LCR on saturday. Its my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: proper revolver grip problem....

This one is for the wheel gun guys, or anyone else whpo wants to play....

I picked up my ruger LCR on saturday. Its my first wheelgun in almost 5 years and at the range I attempted to use a thumbs forward semi auto grip, at which point i neatly sliced my thumb open with the finger nail of my trigger finger on the first shot.... like a trooper i dripped blood while I adjusted and kept on trucking...and a good blood letting never hurt anyone.

My question is this.... the thumb over thumb grip works but it doesnt seem to be as solid for me for some reason, and the thumb over top grip is very uncomfortable and akward. Is their another grip method I can utilise? I searched the interweb for quite a while and everything went back to these too methods.I know practice will make perfect but if there is something else to try I am all ears. My main issue with the thumb over thumb grip is its a weird feeling, and under recoil it feels like i am losing my grip. Any suggestions?

BTW..... if you dont have an LCR...you should. It is a sweet shooter, and the trigger is enough to make you drool ...... if DAO semiautos had such a trigger like this, I would actually consider buying one.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Look up the cowboy action grip video on youtube. Did wonders for me.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I don't mean to be a smart a$$ but if you are comfortable with the grip, just trim your trigger fingernail really short.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    I don't mean to be a smart a$$ but if you are comfortable with the grip, just trim your trigger fingernail really short.
    Believe it or not I didnt think of that, but im not sur ehow much shorter I can get it lol. I have a feeling that even trimmed it will lift my finger off of the trigger under recoil, but I am going to try it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Ya gotta keep your fingers away from that cylinder gap. Hickok 45 had a great informational video about what can happen with the wrong grip. 38 SPL may make you bleed, a 454 Cassul will rip the thumb off.
    10thmtn likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    rugerista, Doghandler and MrsHB like this.

Senior Moderator
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

I use the snubby grip described above
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Ya gotta keep your fingers away from that cylinder gap. Hickok 45 had a great informational video about what can happen with the wrong grip. 38 SPL may make you bleed, a 454 Cassul will rip the thumb off.
    It wasnt the cylinder gap thankfully. The fingernail on my trigger finger went straight into my thumb under recoil because i was using a thumbs forward semi Auto grip. I have short fingers so the gap shouldnt be a problem thankfully lol.
    ~Daniel Webster

On a revolver you may want to consider angling your thumbs downward, like you do when making a fist. Doing so usually gives more grip strength to your trigger finger so you can be in more control of that long revolver trigger. It works for me, at least.
    Taurahe likes this.

I am proud to say I am one of Jerry's kids. I use the snubby grip described above. You are right about the LCR. Sweet shooter.
    NRA Life Member

+1 for the Miculek grip described above for snubbies.

...I'm just an old fart who learned to shoot my snubbies one-handed...then proudly modernized with the teacup and saucer grip that seems to be outdated, too...but it works for me...after cupping the gun hand, I pull slightly with the cup hand and push slightly with the gun hand and it steadies my aim well...I'll probably never reach the 21st century...
    Eric357 likes this.

I think you must be not using finger tip on trigger but putting finger all the way thru. Should be using first pad on index finger
    BugDude likes this.

Use the pad or the first joint of your finger. It largely depends how you grip you pistol.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links