About to buy my first 1911..Holy Moly Look what I found: UPDATE!!

This is a discussion on About to buy my first 1911..Holy Moly Look what I found: UPDATE!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shot a Kimber Eclipse Pro 2 last week and I instantly fell in love at range. I know my polymer guns are accurate but this ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: About to buy my first 1911..Holy Moly Look what I found: UPDATE!!

About to buy my first 1911..Holy Moly Look what I found: UPDATE!!

Shot a Kimber Eclipse Pro 2 last week and I instantly fell in love at range. I know my polymer guns are accurate but this 1911 was effortlessly accurate. I like the heft of the all steel frames and I really appreciate the single action triggers now that I am a fairly decent shooter. I really want a Colt like so Colt_XSE_Series_.jpg..But that's pretty hard to find. I found a Kimber Custom 2 stainless Kimber Custom 2.jpg for $875. Only thing I don't like about the kimber is the combat sights but those shouldn't be a big deal to switch out right?

* is this a good price for the kimber ?

* Any guns you guys recommend in the 900-1100$ range over this Custom 2 ?
    Last edited by Sap03; April 30th, 2013 at 03:13 PM.

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    Which one trips your trigger the most? (no pun intended)

That's the one to get.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Which one trips your trigger the most? (no pun intended)

That's the one to get.
    Agreed.

If you really want the Colt, wait and get the Colt. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with Kimbers (my uncle swears by them) but get what you want because eventually you'll do it anyway haha.

I would also look at STIs offerings as well as Rugers new SR1911, I don't own either, but I haven't seen a bad posting on them anywhere. Also, be certain that you want to carry a full size, I carry an officer's 1911 and the grip isn't the easiest to conceal underneath just a tshirt. Barrel length isn't as much a concern as weight and length of the grip IMHO.
    OD* and WHEC724 like this.

It is very difficult not to fall for a decent 1911-great feel, what a trigger, and such a classic. In your range there are a number of decent choices. My first pick would be the STI Trojan, but for a lot less money consider the STI Spartan V. The latter offers a very good bang for the buck. Nothing wrong with the Colts if that's what you want. I have two and am happy with them. Also getting good reviews (but I don't have personal experience) are Springfield Armory Rangemaster and the Ruger 1911-both under $1K.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

is $875 a decent price for the custom 2 @ a lgs ?

I have the Colt you pictured. Carry it quite often. I paid $999 for it. I considered it $125 better than a Kimber. If the other is readily available and you aren't wanting to wait, you might be able to get the Colt later. I wouldn't have issue with that price you listed.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I've got a pair of Springers which I really like and have given great service. The first one is a plain-Jane 1911-A1 that got a trigger job eons ago, and the other is a TRP with some nice features like front strap checkering and a mag well. They have great customer service, too. In your price range, I'd look at their "Loaded" models, or possibly the Range Officer if you like target sights.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    is $875 a decent price for the custom 2 @ a lgs ?
    For a Stainless II, yes. Kimber has a MSRP on them of $998. Buds has the matte black for $780 but who knows when they'll be back in stock and you seem to like stainless. I'd jump on it before it gets away.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I've got a pair of Springers which I really like and have given great service. The first one is a plain-Jane 1911-A1 that got a trigger job eons ago, and the other is a TRP with some nice features like front strap checkering and a mag well. They have great customer service, too. In your price range, I'd look at their "Loaded" models, or possibly the Range Officer if you like target sights.
    Yeah Smitty I have heard nothing but good things about the Springfield's, Problem is nobody ever has them near me. Some one offered to sell me a champion black and od green Used for 1300 dollars. He said " I bought it for 800 5 years ago so its worth $1300 now" I said " um thanx ill let you know" seemed like a rip off to me enless im missing something.

STI Trojan is a good one to consider, though it'll be in the upper end of your price range. My advice is to get what you want because most 1911 offerings over $1000 are good guns.

Para Ordnance? Yay or nay?

VIP Member
    A 1911 is on my bucket list for firearms...one day...one day...
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

VIP Member
    I'll second the giving the Springers a look. Their service is top notch. One word of warning. Once you get hooked on the 1911, you'll find they tend to multiply. I've traded 2 and have 2. One is a Dan Wesson and it will always be in my line up. The other may go at some point, but it will be replaced with another when it happens.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I was in Buds Gun Shop last week and they had a Springfield for 699.99 NIB. I would get the Springer before a Kimber. A few days ago I was in a small gun shop in Irvine that had 2 colts. One was a Commander, the other a Gov model. 899.00 for either.

For me it would either be a Springer or Colt. At least with either of these you get a real blued finish and not that cheesy black finish that looks like flat black paint.

The Kimber and Colt prices are close enough that I would go hands down with the Colt for the money.

But if I wasn't willing to fork over 899.99, then that Springfield would sure as hell follow me home and I'd be glad to have it over any of the rest.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I was in Buds Gun Shop last week and they had a Springfield for 699.99 NIB. I would get the Springer before a Kimber. A few days ago I was in a small gun shop in Irvine that had 2 colts. One was a Commander, the other a Gov model. 899.00 for either.

For me it would either be a Springer or Colt. At least with either of these you get a real blued finish and not that cheesy black finish that looks like flat black paint.

The Kimber and Colt prices are close enough that I would go hands down with the Colt for the money.

But if I wasn't willing to fork over 899.99, then that Springfield would sure as hell follow me home and I'd be glad to have it over any of the rest.
    I would take a look at sig 1911's as well. Sig makes a fine weapon, and I don't see any reason why their 1911 offering wouldn't be as well made as the other guns they make

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links