.357 sigs?Your thoughts?

This is a discussion on .357 sigs?Your thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off I'm not in the market for a new gun. Maybe a new barrel down the road.I just know you dont hear alot about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: .357 sigs?Your thoughts?

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar

.357 sigs?Your thoughts?

First off I'm not in the market for a new gun. Maybe a new barrel down the road.I just know you dont hear alot about this caliber. I remember when it first came out there was alot of rage about it. It seems like the caliber never got extremely popular for what ever reason. From most of what I have read on the caliber it seems like those who have shot it like it. I know ammo for it s more and not as widely available. Who has one? Do you like it? What do you like about it? I tried a search on here with no luck.

2. Remove Ads

If I didn't own 10mm handguns, the .357 Sig would be my choice for a semi-auto handgun. Both the 10mm and the .357 Sig are attempts to mimic the ballistics of the six inch .357 magnum revolver. Many studies still say the .357 magnum is the best one shot stop round. The .357 Sig is basically a necked down .40 S&W with a .38/.357/9mm bullet. There is also a 9X25mm Dillon round that is a necked down 10mm. It can far exceed the .357 magnum ballistics and exceed the 10mm ballistics.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Thanks LimaCharlie. I knew a little bit about the history of it, I remember when it came out. I've always been a fan of the .357 mag and just was wondering why the 357 sig never really caught on mainstream.

The numbers on the .357 Sig are indeed impressive; essentially like having an automatic .357 Mag. It's a great weapon caliber to own and carry and there are some really good commercial loads made in this caliber. The one drawback to me is ammo price. These cartridges are quite expensive compared to more mainstream calibers. That is a pinch for many folks, as you must practice often to maintain proficiency. One option is to own one of the Glock .40 S&W models, and with a simple barrel change and magazine you can have a .357 Sig as well. The ammo price does remain an issue however.
    .XX likes this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Well I already have a Sig 229sas in .40 so all I would have to do is swap the barrel in it if I decided to try it out. I'd have to do my research on the reloading aspect of it as of right now all I reload is 357/38s. If I went with one I think reloading would be the way to go.

The round is fine. The problem are the guns made for it. The .357 Sig suffers when put in anything other than a full sized gun. In small guns you end up all the flash and noise without the stopping power the round is capable of. Many think that you put a .45 or .357 in a short barreled gun and you have yourself a top man stopper. Nope. You have yourself a weakened round that drops down the stopping power chart (if such a thing exists) with every inch shorter the barrel is.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

So Old Dog, you're essentially saying to purchase a Glock 31 instead of a Glock 32 to get the full benefit of the round ?

I do 9mm because it's nearly invariably what I shoot best, for whatever reason. Nice bonus is that it's generally plentiful, relatively inexpensive. The few .357SIG pistols that I have shot were extremely reliable and accurate. Impressive round, IMO. Had I found I shot the .357SIG better than the average 9mm, I very possibly might have gone that route. Hard not to like a great-performing cartridge.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    This thread seem like Deja Vu all over again: .357 Sig Cartridge, Thoughts?

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

It's a zombie post!!! Quick, shoot it in the head!

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    This thread seem like Deja Vu all over again: .357 Sig Cartridge, Thoughts?
    Sorry man. I really did do a search and came up short. I'll read that thread. Thanks for the link.

I doctored up my P239 recently by installing an SRT kit and dropping in a 357 Sig barrel.

Yes...ammo is expensive. I bought 150 rounds of FMJ and 50 rounds of Gold Dots just to keep on hand. I shot 50 rounds of the FMJ and a couple mags of the GD's to test for function and the gun shot 100%. I also FINALLY...got my Crossbreed Supertuck in, so the P239 is going into the carry rotation immediately.
    .XX likes this.

Wow that was alot of info in that thread and the accompaning links. Thanks for posting that link.

Never shot one, but I saw a picture of a guy who accidentally shot himself in the leg with his own .357 Sig Glock. It was a NASTY wound and did a LOT of damage. The ballistics are good. Most people I know who have one say it is very .40 ish in it's recoil, maybe a little stiffer. The expense is the issue I would have, that and trying to find in in these crazy times.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I think for now I'll just keep my sig as a .40 and use one of my revolvers when I want to shoot .357s. Maybe down the road I'll get an extra barrel, time will tell. I did enjoy all the info in the other post however.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links