Snubbie in 9mm?

Snubbie in 9mm?

This is a discussion on Snubbie in 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up an LCR to use as an EDC and I'm really happy with it. Still need some range time with it (if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Snubbie in 9mm?

Question Snubbie in 9mm?

I just picked up an LCR to use as an EDC and I'm really happy with it. Still need some range time with it (if it ever stops snowing here), but I really like the ergo's and trigger pull. It is a .357 S&W Magnum, but I'll probably carry it with .38 Specials in a +P flavor.

However...I was thinking that it would be nice to have a 9mm +P version of the LCR. One could use "Star" or "Moon" clips with the 9mm ammunition. One could then use the LCR or as a BUG with the same rounds as a primary gun. It's not that I prefer the 9mm over the .38 Special, I just like the idea of having compatible ammunition. I think Taurus makes a 9mm wheel gun, why not Ruger or S&W? I'd love to see a 9mm LCR.

Anyone else like the idea of a 9mm snubbie as an EDC or BUG?

I have never cared for the idea of 9mm in a revolver with the fragile moon clips. If you are going to carry a revolver why use a weaker round than the .38?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Moon clips aren't too fragile.
    9mm is more potent in short barrels than 38 SPL

I have 9mm SP101s that are great to shoot, quick to reload, and are cheaper to shoot than any other revolver cartridge.

I rarely carry them because of their value though. Gunbroker has them selling between $800-1200.

So I just bought a 38SPL SP101 to carry on a more regular basis without the fear of a $1000 gun ending up in an evidence locker.

If Ruger produced a 9mm LCR I'd be on it in no time.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Ruger and S&W will probably not reissue their previous 9mm revolver incarnations because they didn't sell well enough in the past to justify reissuing them for sale.

I'd still love a 9mm LCR though.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

CSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I have never cared for the idea of 9mm in a revolver with the fragile moon clips. If you are going to carry a revolver why use a weaker round than the .38?
    +1. I am not a fan of auto rounds in a wheel gun. The firepower of the rounds in a revolver is one of its advantages. If I am going to carry an auto round, I want the advantages that come with an auto.

I understand that you want the ability to carry only one caliber, but you can do that with a pocket 9mm BUG. Plus, I personally cannot foresee carrying loose 9mm rounds so I could use them in either gun being beneficial.
    Bible thumpin', gun totin' Hoosier

Join the NRA

For the folks dedicated to 9mm, the Smith & Wesson 5-shot J-Frame Model 940 or the earlier 6-shot K-Frame Model 547 would admirably suit. The cartridge really won't do anything in a revolver that .38 Special can't duplicate and the .38 Special has a head start as a revolver round, which may explain the lack of success these models experienced in the marketplace.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Is the 940 still in production?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Charter Arms has the Pitbull in 9mm. If you really like 9mms, I guess it's a good idea.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The 9mm makes for a great snubbie revolver round and, in a lightweight package, such as the LCR, can make for an excellent BUG. The 9mm is a far more efficient cartridge than the .38spl and really shines out of a short barrel, with substantially higher velocities from similar bullet weights.

The issue with the S&W, Ruger, and Taurus offerings are weight - the SP101s, 940s, and 905s are all around 22oz empty, a little heavy for a BUG/pocket/ankle gun. The 547 and the Speed Sixes are great guns if you want a service size revolver. Of course, since the 9mm is rimless they all use moonclips except the 547 and the new Charter Arms 9mm and .40S&W snubbies but they haven't gotten very good reviews. I've never understood the issues some people have with moonclips, especially considering that they've been around since 1917 and revolvers have been chambered for a number of rimless cartridges in that time - .45acp, 9mm, .40S&W, 10mm, and now even .380. Except for the Taurus versions they work very well and make for very fast reloads, and, again, except for the Taurus brand, I've never found them to be "fragile".

I'm a fan of revolvers in any caliber, but revolvers that accept short 9mm and .45acp rounds in moonclips are my favorites, they're fun and fast. My BUG is a custom S&W 360J that, among other things done to it, has been rechambered to 9mm and cut for moonclips. At just 13oz empty, it makes for a terrific pocket gun, a 9mm Ruger LCR would make for a very similar package.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Is the 940 still in production?
    Not since around '98.
    Nix and rammerjammer like this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Ruger LCR in 9mm please:
    Possible New Guns From Ruger on the Horizon? - Ruger Talk - Ruger Forum
    It would be lighter to carry than the 38+P or the almost 6 ounces heavier .357.

That's the gun I want them to make.

Tell RUGER you want one, too!

https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO.html

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    Ruger LCR in 9mm please:
    Possible New Guns From Ruger on the Horizon? - Ruger Talk - Ruger Forum
    It would be lighter to carry than the 38+P or the almost 6 ounces heavier .357.

Tell RUGER you want one, too!

https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO.html
    I'd buy one just because.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post

Ruger LCR in 9mm please:
    Go Sox!

A 9 mm LCR could also have a shorter cylinder, making the whole gun smaller. That makes a difference for pocket carry.

Moon clips would eliminate reloading from speed strips, however...and are bulkier to carry. If possible, I'd love to see one with something similar to what Charter did.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    A 9 mm LCR could also have a shorter cylinder, making the whole gun smaller. That makes a difference for pocket carry.

Moon clips would eliminate reloading from speed strips, however...and are bulkier to carry. If possible, I'd love to see one with something similar to what Charter did.
    Taurus did that with the "Instant BackUp" version of their 905 but it was short lived. Certainly it would be possible but the added expense of tooling up and producing a completely new frame, cylinder, etc would have to be prohibitively expensive for a gun that will have limited appeal. You and I might be all about a shorty 9mm LCR (even a regular size 9mm LCR) but, as history has proven, 9mm revolvers of any size just aren't big sellers. Still, considering the small runs of odd gun/caliber combos both Ruger and S&W have made over the years I'm stumped as to why neither of them have tried the 9mm again. A batch of 1000 9mm LCRs or scandium J frames could be sold at a premium and would go in a hurry and would only require changes in cylinder and barrel machining to produce. There might not be enough interest to make it a regular catalog item, but why not test the waters with a limited run.
    sensei2 likes this.

I'm willing to bet a 9mm LCR would vastly outsell all the revolvers chambered in .327. If they can keep the .327 alive, they can invest in making a 9mm revolver.

JMHO.
    Nix likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links