Seeds of doubt

This is a discussion on Seeds of doubt within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We've all been thru it. We buy a new carry gun. A LCP, a Shield, a sub-compact. Not range guns but ones that are meant ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Seeds of doubt

Seeds of doubt

We've all been thru it. We buy a new carry gun. A LCP, a Shield, a sub-compact. Not range guns but ones that are meant to save our lives one day. Ones we conceal carry daily.

We buy ammo, clean and oil the gun. We hit the range. And out of 200 rounds you get a light primer strike or FTF. Or FTE. Or like in my case today a pretty serious jam - a factory Hornady 9mm round was jammed solid in the chamber of my new Shield. I couldn't clear it. It was lodged bad. A local gunsmith got it out for me. It had also FTE'ed twice before this during a separate range session.

Now the seeds of doubt have been sowed. "What if this happened when my life depended on it?" The trust is now suddenly greatly reduced.

I've sold my XDS 45 because of all the issues above. Now my new Shield is acting up. Both are guns that I really love.

So question to everyone. With a life or death carry piece that has issues: what do you do? Shoot it until the issues go away? Sell it and cut your losses? Send it back for warranty work even though you don't know what's wrong with it? I really want to love my Shield but I'm dejected. It's like my XDS episode all over again.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You and Rollo need to make a trip to the range together and see who can break the most guns. Winner gets to pick a new gun; loser has to fix the broken ones.

Other than one self-induced FTF with my Glock 30, I've never had a handgun malfunction--discounting two dud primers, of course--and that's shooting my guns or anyone else's. Maybe I'm just lucky.
    Badey, rammerjammer, jbum and 3 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

PM inbound...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    We've all been thru it. We buy a new carry gun. A LCP, a Shield, a sub-compact. Not range guns but ones that are meant to save our lives one day. Ones we conceal carry daily.

We buy ammo, clean and oil the gun. We hit the range. And out of 200 rounds you get a light primer strike or FTF. Or FTE. Or like in my case today a pretty serious jam - a factory Hornady 9mm round was jammed solid in the chamber of my new Shield. I couldn't clear it. It was lodged bad. A local gunsmith got it out for me. It had also FTE'ed twice before this during a separate range session.

Now the seeds of doubt have been sowed. "What if this happened when my life depended on it?" The trust is now suddenly greatly reduced.

I've sold my XDS 45 because of all the issues above. Now my new Shield is acting up. Both are guns that I really love.

So question to everyone. With a life or death carry piece that has issues: what do you do? Shoot it until the issues go away? Sell it and cut your losses? Send it back for warranty work even though you don't know what's wrong with it? I really want to love my Shield but I'm dejected. It's like my XDS episode all over again.
    I am on my fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh edc guns. The smallest among them is a Glock 19, which I generally carry only as a bug anymore, or sometimes when I am doing long bicycle rides. It has never malfunctioned. Neither has my Glock 17, nor my S&W 1006, nor my full-size M&P. I carry them interchangeably, depending on the day. I don't carry a sub-compact, ever.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Does it do it with all types of ammo or just hornady?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I am on my fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh edc guns. The smallest among them is a Glock 19, which I generally carry only as a bug anymore, or sometimes when I am doing long bicycle rides. It has never malfunctioned. Neither has my Glock 17, nor my S&W 1006, nor my full-size M&P. I carry them interchangeably, depending on the day. I don't carry a sub-compact, ever.
    I know this is a touch off topic, but I don't think you are a big guy, so how do you manage to conceal of full-sized gun? I have enough trouble concealing my G19, because I don't have enough girth to keep the sights or floorplate of the mag from printing...

To the OP, that is why I quit carrying my S&W Bodyguard 380... too many issues with firing pins breaking on other people's guns for me to trust it.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I self induce FTF in new guns. After about 200 break in rounds, I start limp wresting to create failures so I can best understand how the gun reacts.

I did have a problem with my S&W 4006. After about 2000 or so rounds, I started having FTF/FTE. After a lot of head scratching and seriously considering shelving the gun, I realized that the springs in the mags had worn out.

That was my EDC gun, and although I had no other problems with it after replacing the mag springs, I never have carried that gun on a regular bases again.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Thats why I carry a revolver. 6 for sure. At least I think so.

I am very sorry to hear of your mechanical misfortunes.
    I can't really tell you WHAT to do, because if it's mechanical, it can fail.

I have 6 Glocks...they have ALWAYS gone bang...always! I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just for sake of clarity: what ammo were you shooting; was the Hornady the only ammo.. Recently bought some UMC 380 ammo that I took to the range and was firing it thru a well used and tested weapon that started out clean. Had a similar issue and upon serious scrutiny the chamber was very dirty ....much more than I would have expected after 150 rounds. I cleaned it and didn't have a problem with the other 100 rounds. I attributed it to the ammo.
    I wouldn't expect that out of Hornady but you never know with less reputable range type ammo.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I know this is a touch off topic, but I don't think you are a big guy, so how do you manage to conceal of full-sized gun? I have enough trouble concealing my G19, because I don't have enough girth to keep the sights or floorplate of the mag from printing...

To the OP, that is why I quit carrying my S&W Bodyguard 380... too many issues with firing pins breaking on other people's guns for me to trust it.
    It's pretty simple, until I describe it. I carry IWB at 3:00 in a thin, deep-riding holster with a wide profile. The holster has at least a twenty-degree forward cant. The belt loop snaps are about seven inches apart, spreading the load. The front and rear holster wings are curved to fit the contour of my waist, and the leather loops are slightly larger than normal to allow the holster to slightly adjust itself when I change positions. Additionally, the front loop actually loops over the top of the holster to further allow adjustment. All my pants have had the front four belt loops re-positioned to keep the holster at 3:00/9:00, and are two inches larger than my actual waist size. All this with a 1 1/2" five-stitch Wilderness Instructor belt and size larger shirts to for cover, and an a-shirt between the rig and my skin.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Come into the light, be a wheelgunner
    sebring, Eric357, gtv and 1 others like this.

Been at this for a long time....I never buy guns until they've been proven.. There are a long list of pistols released that have issues. You can read about them on their respective Owners Forums. New doesn't mean "better"..... If the Fans of a brand complain about their new "whatever", that gun goes on my DO NOT BUY List....Despite Brand loyalty, those guns still get purchased in the hopes that theirs will be better...I don't get it. I don't like Glocks. They simply don't fit my hands. However, if a pistol has a solid reputation, I'd be all over it. I've never had a Sig fail me, and the 239's simply work for me as a CCW. Always. Sandpiper

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    Does it do it with all types of ammo or just hornady?
    I hit the range again after work and confirmed that my issues are with the Hornady rounds - my Shield just pukes with them. I has like 5 FTF's or FTE's in just 50 rounds of the stuff. Yuck. I fired PMC Bronze FMJ and Golden Sabers and no issues. My two FTE's were with PMC JHP's. So I guess my Shield is very ammo sensitive.

Sorry for your string of ill-fortune with your pistols. Any man-made machine can fail. Glocks, revolvers, the 1911,etc. All can malfunction. I'd rather they'd malfunction on the range where it can be fixed, than have it happen when I really needed it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links