Which guns stay and which go?

This is a discussion on Which guns stay and which go? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Young gun owners do not have to think about the guns that they own or buy in terms of if they will be able to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Which guns stay and which go?

Distinguished Member

Which guns stay and which go?

Young gun owners do not have to think about the guns that they own or buy in terms of if they will be able to shoot it in the near future. Us old dudes do have to think about that. I learned that the hard way because I was a recoil junkie. Liked my .44 mags and 11 oz. .357 snub nose. However as I got older and my hands developed problems, the .44 mags had to go followed by metal and heavy 1911 .45's. I sold my Airlite .357 as even .38 +p was stout in it and got a 17 oz. Ruger .357 mag instead. Now I play a game of 'keep and don't keep' in my mind when I have nothing else to think about. :)

I review all the guns that I own and try to figure out which ones I can trade in the coming years and which I need to save for when I get older. For instance, I am not using my .22 mag. LCR much but it is a gun that will be useful in the future. Same with my .357 GP100. It is the only wheel gun I own with a hammer and some day I may need a gun that I can thumb the hammer back to shoot single action because I do not have the hand strength to shoot it double action. Then there are some semi autos that have slides so stiff that I know they will be a big problem in the future so they go on my "go" list.

Now when I want to buy a gun I think about whether it is a long term or short term gun. I have already shot my bucket list of guns so every gun I buy now has to have a role and lately that role must be both short and long term so I do not have to sell it later at a lost. The same could apply to others who are not senior citizens. You could have a medical condition for instance that will get worse in the near future. You may just have guns that you no longer feel the love for and would not miss them if they were sold or traded it. I think most of us have a 'stay' and 'go' list of guns. Here are mine based upon advancing age and medical condition:

Stay: Sig P238, Sig P928, Baby Desert Eagle, GP100, FNX-9, Ruger LCR .22 Mag.
    Go: Micro Desert Eagle, XDS, .22 NAA mini revolver, HK P2000SK, Ruger LCR .357

Micro Desert Eagle has a heavy trigger. XDs is a small .45 and requires a very firm grip plus recoil starts taking its toll after a few magazines of shooting so I would not be able to practice much with it in the near future. NAA is hard enough for anyone to shoot with accuracy beyond belly distances and it will not get any better in the future. HK P2000SK is halfway between a Glock 26 and 19 in size. It is heavier than my other guns and thicker. Already hurts to carry it for prolonged periods due to a bad hip. Rather have the .22 mag LCR for my older age. With Speer Gold Dots it is comparable to a .380 and very light recoiling with a decent trigger.

This is my list as of today but it has and can change at any time. I once spent 7 months trying to decide what gun to get when I moved to Florida and got my ccw license. Every day I made a choice and every day that choice changed. Then I went picking two guns, then 3 because no one gun met all my needs. Long story short I ended up buying 8 carry guns when I got here. :) Do not own any of them anymore.
    Philly Boy and Kennydale like this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

2. Remove Ads

The only thing that the onset of "geezerhood" has taught me is that they all need to stay. In years gone by too many have gone away only to be mourned later. Unless the acquisition is specifically acquired to turn for a profit it goes down the "black hole." In addition to most facets of shooting sports, hunting, and handloading, I enjoy collecting guns that interest me. The firearms that have piqued my interest never fail to continue to do so. So, I'll keep 'em. Firearms are entertaining and self-defense is only a small facet of my interest in the hobby.

Thankfully, there are very, very few currently produced firearms that "trip my trigger" so I can continue having fun seeking and playing with with the brands and models that appealed to me 30+ years ago, whether they were new or used at that time of my life.

Recoil hasn't become a physically debilitating issue yet at this point but I've never been a recoil junky. I still can manage recoil, have shot all manner of heavy recoiling firearms, and own some with a reputation for enthusiastic recoil but have never professed to enjoy being endlessly belted for entertainment.
    OD*, blitzburgh, oneshot and 2 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

When I total up all the guns I have bought since coming into the handgun world just 2 1/2 yrs. ago, I can hardly believe all the ones I have bought/sold/traded or the $$$$$ I would now have if I had kept my list down to, say, five guns and let it go at that, But, no, I had the "other gun is better and I've got to have it " syndrome and, now, I have just two guns: Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm and a new SAR Arms SARK2P , 9mm. Both of these pistols are great shooting and, since SAR outfits the Turkish military, it should last as long as I want it to. Ah, there's the rub--- " as long as I want it to!" Among the sold guns was a nice P238 and a Beretta Tomcat: ONE of them might just find its way back into my small collection. But Old Dog has the right attitude: what do I really NEED now and what WILL I need down the road? Good/ safe shooting all.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

They come and go. But the only guns that have a permanent home are S&W k,and N frames, Colt 1911's, and of course the Glocks for their utility value.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member
    Ya, I'll keep em all now and let my family decide what stays and goes when I'm gone. I'm tempted all the time to trade one or sell one to fund the purchase of another, but I've already learned to just keep it and save up to add another to the family (as long as it functions well). But I'm just a young whipper snapper, what do I know .
    blitzburgh and latentcarry like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    OP,

I hear ya. I'm 71, three time cancer survivor. Trust me on this, getting old isn't for wimps. I'm pretty lucky though - I have worked out for years, so I move well, weight (5'-8", 157 lbs this morning) is in the normal range, and I can still see. I did have cataract surgery a bit over a week ago. One down, one to go. I handle and dry fire two pistols 3 times a week as part of my weight workout. I figure if I keep doing it, I'll be able to do it longer than if I don't.

That said, I understand completely what you are saying about getting old and how it might change what you keep and what you sell.

I've been looking at handguns I can put optics on. I had a chance to shoot a gun with an RMR02 on it. It was a modified Glock 19 and that worked well even with out my glasses. I could see both the target and the red dot since they are at the same focal distance. Seeing the sights on the handgun is getting harder and harder. I have no rifles with iron sights any more. I know my Glocks can be modified for an RMR, my FNX45T is ready for it from the factory. I may end up limited to point shooting pocket guns for summer carry - so I practice that when I'm at the range.

You have a good grip on the problem. You are facing it, so am I. I think that's a big piece of the solution.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I have guns now that I'm keeping for the "when I get older" scenario. I'm also keeping everything because you never know how the future of being able to buy things is going to shake out. I've sold a few over the years, and one or two of them I had regret over. So I don't sell anything anymore. I could get by just fine if I never had to buy anything again.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Old_Dog, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I enjoy a window into other folks logic as they consider their wants and needs in this 'hobby'. My father got into pistols late in life when he was living on a boat full time (retired), and felt the need for greater self defense capabilities. Like all things in life he approached it with a passion, and we had lots of conversations just like your post. I am still in a phase where I spend most time on the bucket list that is on hold due to finances. My problem is that I cannot think of anything I want to trade or sell! Just Need More!

I am also a seasoned senior citizen and a gun nut, I just hate to get rid of my firearms so I don't. I have collected them over many years and each is part of a special time in my life. So i figure, what the hell, I will let my boys have them when I am gone, they can keep what they want and save the rest for the grandsons.

VIP Member
    I enjoy your posts Old Dog.

I'm a revolver fan, but I am already aware that the triggers on small j-frames can be stout for some, and as I age that may be an issue for me. I have swapped out reduced power rebound springs in my smiths, which has reduced the trigger pull considerably.

For some reason I'm not a fan of sub-compact autoloaders. I have a Sig 229, a CZ 75D PCR, and a Browning Hi Power. The only one that may give me trouble in the future is the Hi Power, as it requires a stout pull to rack the slide. However, the Hi Power is not a self defense gun for me, so that's not really an issue.

I expect that I'll probably have a 640 or a model 60 at my side when I'm much older, and a 686 at home. I don't like carrying anything heavier that a steel j-frame.

As for all my other guns, they will all stay. I attach to some a sentimental value that is beyond what anyone in their right mind would pay me, or I have an interest in them as a "shooter's collection." Many of the guns I do not need to shoot to enjoy. Sometimes I take them out, look them over, wipe them down and put them back in the safe.

Eventually I'll part with them, and hopefully such departures will be in the form of gifts to either my daughters or their future husbands (not something I can envision right now, as I can't imagine any young man being worthy of either of my daughters - but that is neurosis that I will deal with later in my life).
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Ya, I'll keep em all now and let my family decide what stays and goes when I'm gone. I'm tempted all the time to trade one or sell one to fund the purchase of another, but I've already learned to just keep it and save up to add another to the family (as long as it functions well). But I'm just a young whipper snapper, what do I know .
    This is how I look at it as well. I still regret selling the few guns I sold once upon a time and have since decided that if a firearm is in working order, it's there to stay whether or not I lose interest in it. When my time comes, my son (or other family members) can decide which remain and which don't.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I'm in the keep everything at all costs camp.

They will pass to the kids and grandkids,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The only thing that the onset of "geezerhood" has taught me is that they all need to stay. In years gone by too many have gone away only to be mourned later. Unless the acquisition is specifically acquired to turn for a profit it goes down the "black hole." In addition to most facets of shooting sports, hunting, and handloading, I enjoy collecting guns that interest me. The firearms that have piqued my interest never fail to continue to do so. So, I'll keep 'em. Firearms are entertaining and self-defense is only a small facet of my interest in the hobby.

Thankfully, there are very, very few currently produced firearms that "trip my trigger" so I can continue having fun seeking and playing with with the brands and models that appealed to me 30+ years ago, whether they were new or used at that time of my life.

Recoil hasn't become a physically debilitating issue yet at this point but I've never been a recoil junky. I still can manage recoil, have shot all manner of heavy recoiling firearms, and own some with a reputation for enthusiastic recoil but have never professed to enjoy being endlessly belted for entertainment.
    I'll ditto your sentiment. The more "experience" I've gathered, the more I don't really see any reason to divest myself of anything in the safe. I've got a little history with most of them, and they're not really collector grade. Wouldn't bring much more than replacement cost if I tried to sell them. And who knows what the future holds. I'm not one to see the sky as fallin all the time, but the political landscape being what it is, who knows what prices and availability will look like "someday." Even if I don't shoot them routinely, I know they're there, and that's a nice feeling.

Another Age related post. Really ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    Another Age related post. Really ?
    Ya'd just had t've been there to understand.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links