Revolver

Revolver

This is a discussion on Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Say we don't factor in cost.What do you think is the very best edc revolver made,that can be bought in the US.Not really prettiest,most dependable ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree175Likes

Thread: Revolver

Revolver

Say we don't factor in cost.What do you think is the very best edc revolver made,that can be bought in the US.Not really prettiest,most dependable and accurate,and could be concealed every day,all day. Thanks.

...Ruger GP100 3" stainless...iron sights

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupp!

S&W K-frame, your choice of barrel length based on what fits. A little less bulky than the GP-100, which is comparable to the S&W L-frame in size.

If you allow discontinued guns, I'd say a Colt Detective Special... just a snick bigger than a J-frame, but 6-shot capacity.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

A fixed sight Smith & Wesson K-Frame .38 Special or .357 Magnum with any of several barrel lengths from 2-inches to 4-inches is the very best revolver ever produced for personal defense. A very rugged and completely trouble-free design that gives outstanding accuracy and possesses the most marvelously smooth trigger pull, both single-action and double-action of any medium-framed revolver ever made. And, the K-Frame manages to accomplish all of this goodness without any built-like-a-tank "clunkiness" feel to its action. It will do it year in and year out for over 35 years. Ask me how I know this.

A Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special and a rapid-fire group shot double-action at 10 yards with a 158 grain +P equivalent handload

I'll second Smitty's recommendation of the Colt Detective Special as the best compact snub ever. Six shot rather than five and accuracy like a service revolver.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    I agree but in the Wiley Clapp edition. The gun was designed specifically for fighting.

RUKGP-33-NVK.jpg
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

VIP Member
    Im partial to the S&W Model 10/15/19 also in a 2-2 inch barrel and love the Detective Special as well.
    Attached Images
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    A fixed sight Smith & Wesson K-Frame .38 Special or .357 Magnum with any of several barrel lengths from 2-inches to 4-inches is the very best revolver ever produced for personal defense. A very rugged and completely trouble-free design that gives outstanding accuracy and possesses the most marvelously smooth trigger pull, both single-action and double-action of any medium-framed revolver ever made. And, the K-Frame manages to accomplish all of this goodness without any built-like-a-tank "clunkiness" feel to its action. It will do it year in and year out for over 35 years. Ask me how I know this.

A Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special and a rapid-fire group shot double-action at 10 yards with a 158 grain +P equivalent handload

I'll second Smitty's recommendation of the Colt Detective Special as the best compact snub ever. Six shot rather than five and accuracy like a service revolver.
    The first snubnose I carried back in the early 70's was the Colt Detective Special. It was state of the art back then and held 6 rounds instead of 5. I had a clamshell shoulder holster for it and felt like a detective wearing it under my suit to work each day. It even saved me from a mugging by three guys once by simply opening my jacket to show the gun. 40 years later, my Ruger LCR did the same.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

The only two revolvers I have experience with that fall into this category would be the Ruger Sp101 or the S&W 640. Ruger is a little softer shooting, but the 640 conceals more easily.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I like all suggestions so far.All very good.I had a heavy barrel mod 10 years ago that shot really well.The Wiley Gp is interesting,I had not seen it.I used to be a revolver man but went to 1911 some time ago.Thinking of switching back.Keep the recommendations coming.Very helpful.I would like to get enough replies to see if one wins out above the rest with you folks here.

S & w 442

Smith and Wesson, Model 442, 5 shot, 38 Spec..jpg

Carried an issued S&W Model 10, heavy barrel in uniform as a State Trooper in the 60's. We were also issued a S&W "Bodyguard" 5 shot airweight as an off duty and pocket/back up gun.

Recently picked up this S&W 442, DAO, 5 shot revolver and really like it. It is a much better gun than the Bodyguard which tended to stretch it's aluminum frame over time. They also collected dust in the exposed hamer slot, so much so that they could fail to fire unless you kept an eye on this area.

Also I picked up an almost new Colt, Police Positive Special revolver made in 1972, almost new condition. Really fun to shoot and it is amazingly accurate. It had a yuky set of home made grips so I replaced them with these "Detective Special" grips.

Colt Police Positive Special, .38 Cal. - Copy.jpg

I have many, many auto loaders, but once in a while, I go back to my revolvers and feel very comfortable.

Just some thoughts,

Trooper Joe

...great find...those old Colts are smooooooth...

Quote Originally Posted by pignut View Post
    Say we don't factor in cost.What do you think is the very best edc revolver made,that can be bought in the US.Not really prettiest,most dependable and accurate,and could be concealed every day,all day. Thanks.
    I'm way inside the S&W K Frame camp here. I think these things are both pretty enough and dependable too. Here's a couple of them that work for me.
    Attached Images

image.jpg best snub made right now is SP101 built like a tank you can shoot plus ps all day with no fatigue. Extremely accurate. Stay away from the scandium titanium new guns they are to light to handle the loads IMHO. Also the mod 60 smith is a nice all steel gun does real well. I got rid of the internal lock on mine an had it ported helps cut down on muzzle flip. The sp out of the box is by far the best choice.

S&W K frame and Colt Detective Special

I would agree with those above who mentioned the S&W K frames and the Colt Detective Special. I own and have carried both, and they are exceptional revolvers in every way.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links