Gun Reviews - Is There Ever A Bad One?

This is a discussion on Gun Reviews - Is There Ever A Bad One? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm referring to good publications like Guns & Ammo, Handguns Magazine, Shooting Times and etc. I've honesty never seen a bad review for a gun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Gun Reviews - Is There Ever A Bad One?

I'm referring to good publications like Guns & Ammo, Handguns Magazine, Shooting Times and etc. I've honesty never seen a bad review for a gun in any gun mag. Even Taurus auto pistols are made to sound like the best things since sliced bread. I've never read about any failures, issues, bad reliability reports etc. Every gun that's reviewed always sounds perfect.

Are the writers (a) funded by the gun companies (b) given the best guns from those companies - guns that were already tested and known not to malfunction or (c) told by their editors not to write bad reviews.

I almost can't trust them to give me an honest review. What are your thoughts on this?

Give me a free gun, and I'll find something nice to say about it.

GH
    Advertise in a publication & receive good reviews. Money talks.
    DaveInEdmonds likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Senior Moderator
    "Gun tests" had about the only negative reviews I ever read. They didn't receive advertising and they would purchase a gun and give an honest review about it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I don't read gun reviews, except to figure out what basic features the gun has (e.g., safeties, hammer or striker, etc.).

Whether you like a particular gun is subjective.

You can find a reviewer that will rave about eggplant. But it's still eggplant to me.
    bgusty likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

American Handgunner is about as straight as you'll see. If they get a real dog of a gun, they just won't print the review. That saves the gun maker embarrassment and still protects the magazine's advertising revenue stream.
    OD*, glockman10mm and archer51 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Not really. At best the author will casually throw in a quick comment about a few FTFs or such with Blah-blah ammo or some other blame besides the gun. In one recent such report about the G30S, the author stated 3 times about how he didn't like compact large-caliber handguns, so it wasn't suprising that his review was lukewarm in spite of the firearm perfomring flawlessly. He let his personal limitations reflect in the review.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Gun tests Magazine is about the only one that I've seen that gives out bad grades (reviews) where they think they're warranted. Therefore, they're the only mag, other than American Rifleman that I subscribe to. They also don't take ad money as noted above, which I think helps keep them honest.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I'm referring to good publications like Guns & Ammo, Handguns Magazine, Shooting Times and etc. I've honesty never seen a bad review for a gun in any gun mag. Even Taurus auto pistols are made to sound like the best things since sliced bread. I've never read about any failures, issues, bad reliability reports etc. Every gun that's reviewed always sounds perfect.

Are the writers (a) funded by the gun companies (b) given the best guns from those companies - guns that were already tested and known not to malfunction or (c) told by their editors not to write bad reviews

I almost can't trust them to give me an honest review. What are your thoughts on this?
    All of the above

I've seen a few now and then. But as you suggest, they're rare.

Fact is, money talks. Advertising money is pretty tasty, with any publication. Bashing marginal product pretty much rules out getting any repeat ad business from such manufacturers. And so, the semi-scam continues.

Our only weapon: don't buy the publication. What I've done for a couple decades, now, is to simply purchase the occasional "Buyer's Guide" issue that comes out, though even that has become a rarity for me. Won't do the subscription thing, as I can't stand all the worthless ad-heavy and slanted junk between the pages of the average magazine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    It's the same reason why I take Hickok45 youtube reviews with a grain of salt. They guy never has a bad thing to say about firearm reviews, and if he says anything negative it's very political. I can't stand terd polishers....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

If you think gun review are tainted, just look at the ammunition reviews.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    I think forum claims are far more exaggerated than the reviews.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think forum claims are far more exaggerated than the reviews.
    I would have to agree, as it goes back to the opinion I have mentioned on Defensive Carry several times in which I think most people can't shoot and are not proficient with the firearms they own.
    DaveInEdmonds likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post

Are the writers (a) funded by the gun companies (b) given the best guns from those companies - guns that were already tested and known not to malfunction or (c) told by their editors not to write bad reviews.

Same goes for car and truck reviews, kayak reviews, and just about anything that exists for sale where there is a
    product oriented magazine. Every computer ever built has the fastest "lightening speed" processor every known to man
    and more and faster memory than an old elephant. I seldom see a bad review of these either.

Its advertising.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links