New Compact Pistol for CCW

This is a discussion on New Compact Pistol for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at getting a new CC pistol. I am down to either the S&W Shield or Springfield XDS. Let me get yals opinions. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Compact Pistol for CCW

New Compact Pistol for CCW

I am looking at getting a new CC pistol. I am down to either the S&W Shield or Springfield XDS. Let me get yals opinions. I'm not looking for a 9mm vs 45 ACP comparison really. More or less just the guns themselves. Lets pretend we already have the XDS 9mm.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The guns you mentioned are sub-compacts.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I was gonna say micro compact but wasn't sure if that was right so I just decided to stay silent

I sold my Shield and bought an XDs after I shot a friend's. My reasons are mostly subjective, I just liked shooting the XDs more.

What I can say is I like the grip safety better than the thumb safety on the Shield.

What I can also say is if they made a.45 Shield my eye never would've started wandering in the first place, so make of that what you will!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using TapTalk 2

I bought the XDs a month ago to add to my carry rotation. It's a really nice gun. Conceals great. Shoots great. I have been carrying it more than my G26, and it fits in my Glock holster. I have only held a Shield, not shot one, so I really cannot compare the two.

I think the biggest factor is what EMTJosh said. Do you want the thumb safety or would you prefer the grip safety? For me, the thumb safety on the shield is too flush with the frame, and requires a firm press to take it off. In a stressful, life or death scenario, I'm not confident I would be able to mess with that little switch. Just my opinion. Also, the recoil will be a little more since the guns are smaller, so if you aren't comfortable with a small .45, I'd take that into consideration. If you get the opportunity, hold both and see what feels better. Either way, you can't go wrong.

DBS
    I've shot them both and liked them both. You need to shoot them both too, and then make your decision based on what feels best to you. They're both great CCW platforms.

I know this seems like a useless reply, but I can't tell you what you should shoot/carry--you've got to try them out and decide.

I've handled but not **** them (none if the gun stores here have ranges), and I have to say I was really impressed with the xds. Not much bigger, if any, than my beloved Nano. The only thing I really really don't like is the aggressive grip texture. But then this ain't meant to be a range gun. For edc CC, I can't imagine a finer instrument. I have some other things on my wish list, but the xds is on it and will be mine eventually.

Take the time to check out the CZ Compacts. Can't buy a better quality handgun for the price. Ultra reliable and well made. I have the CZ 75 Compact and absolutely love the gun and it conceals well. Extremely accurate out of the box. Give them a look.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. Both are excellent pistols. I ultimately chose a shield 9mm for my EDC. I have no doubt though, that once the xds 9mm is available it will be a great firearm. Like has been said, shoot both if you can wait till the xds9 comes out and go from there.

I love my XDS. No more felt recoil than my LC9, and its almost the same size. I've never shot a Shield, but they look nice. Like others said, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

go play with some guns and buy the one that feels the best in your hand
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member
    Bought both, still have the XDs and pocket carry it. Replaced the Shield with a Sig P938 which is smaller and can easily be carried on belt of in pocket. Mine came with a 7 round mag that allows me a full fingered grip and give me 7 +1. I bought a 7 round mag for my XDs and now have the same capacity that my Colt Defender and New Agent had in a lighter weight gun in a smaller size. The XDs is surprisingly accurate and produces less felt recoil than I thought it would. I shoot it better than I did with my 3' Colt 1911's. Grip design keeps the gun from squirming after each shot which translates to fast and accurate follow-up shots.

I am afraid that you question is a 9mm vs .45 since both guns are very good examples of their kind. You will not be unhappy with either so pick your caliber and your question is answered. You really cannot ignore caliber in a gun choice. Most will shoot a 9mm better and with quicker follow-up shots so that is a factor in the decision of which gun to select.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

I have an XDS and love it I put night sights on mine and is my favorite CCW.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by epalmer2898 View Post
    I am looking at getting a new CC pistol. I am down to either the S&W Shield or Springfield XDS. Let me get yals opinions. I'm not looking for a 9mm vs 45 ACP comparison really. More or less just the guns themselves. Lets pretend we already have the XDS 9mm.
    The shield is a great gun. I personally just ended up with the Beretta Nano, though, with a few mods. (Trijicon night sights, Centerfire laser, Talon grips, and a stainless guide rod.) and I absolutely LOVE the Nano. Barely any felt recoil, more precise than the shield at 25 yds (tighter groups) and (having a newer revision of the Nano) not a single failure with the gun at the range, using anything from 115 grain Fiocci FMJ to Fed HST 147 grain JHP.

Oh, I also got the Nano for $380 brand new at a LGS, which beat the pants off of the $550-600 I've seen the Shield selling for locally if one can be found. Sportsmans had about 6 or 8 Nanos in stock, though.

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links