My first 40

This is a discussion on My first 40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got the HK bug recently and was able to horse trade some with a member of another forum who was local. He bought this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My first 40

My first 40

I got the HK bug recently and was able to horse trade some with a member of another forum who was local. He bought this gun new and put about 300 rds. thru it and decided it wasn't what he wanted. It has night sites and came with (3) magazines which is good because they are terribly expensive and not easy to find. This is my first .40 cal. gun so we'll see how it goes. I was able to score some .40 ammo, in fact several places had some. This version is a P30 LEM V2 trigger. It is quite a bit different than my Sigs but I think I can adapt to it with some practice time. I will say this about HK, they have the best grip system going. You have three different backstraps and three different side panels. After tying different combinations I hit the perfect combo for my hand. All pistol grips should be made that way. Some pictures for now and maybe a range report if the rain holds off.

Kennydale likes this.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

2. Remove Ads

mkh
    Congrats. .40 is my favorite caliber though I also carry 9mm and .45.

Now that is beautiful. I am sure you will have fun with that.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Congrats - looks like a beautiful pistol.

I started shooting .40 cal a few years ago. Before that it was 9mm and .45, neither of which had much recoil. The .40 was definitely snappy, especially in a smaller gun. But, once you get a good grip and stance it becomes very controllable. So, something to think about and focus on as you head to the range.

Congrats! I just posted on my picking up a P30 .40 with a light LEM a while ago. It joined it's relatives; P2000, and P2000sk both in .40 and HK45c. I kinda like H&Ks. Mags were not horrile priced compared to their .45ACP mags. Bought 3 for $32 each from H&K. They get deliveries every week and don't mind you checking however, they haven't allowed back orders, at least for me.

They have actually improved the mag release paddles so that light 1 finger pushes are OK. I prefer a light touch on both paddles. I have had 5 H&Ks (sold my HK45 for HK45c) and I replaced the sights immediately. For me, out of the box always shot high and the glow in the dark was not so great. I always replace with Meprolights about $100.

Years ago I replaced my 9mm's with .40's to shoot major in USPSA matches. It is easy to get used to the slight snappy recoil. According to my wife I have far too many and they all look alike. Favorite gun store sign. "Please don't let my wife sell my guns for what I said I paid for them."
    GaryB likes this.

Congratulations on the new pistola. H&K for me, someday.

Congrats. Great pics too!...
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Thumbs up

Very nice!
    I've got an H&K 9mm USP compact that I'll have with me when I go with family for dinner this evening.

VIP Member
    I miss my .40's, but a wrist injury no longer allowed me to shoot it. Down to 300 rounds of target and 350 rounds of defensive ammo to sell and I'll be out of the .40 game.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Cool

Great photos of a sweet firearm.

My EDC 90% of the time is a Glock 23.

photo.jpg

I like the .40 S&W round.

Enjoy your new baby.

Regards,

FlaRon
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

HK P30 9mm - YouTube

Not a bad "first timer" video with a P30 9mm

Distinguished Member
    Love my .40 too! Have been carrying my .38 but the new situation is where the .40 will be going with me for a while ~ more bullets are required. Both are S&W, I'm a fan.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    congrats
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Nice! I too will have a P30 when I pay off my layaway. I'll be checking for follow-ups since I've never tried an LEM trigger.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Very nice looking gun.And .40 is one of the ammo cal easily found around these parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links