PMR30 For SD/HD?

This is a discussion on PMR30 For SD/HD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a call from my LGS this afternoon to tell me that they received a Kel Tec PMR30 for someone who ordered it but ...

Thread: PMR30 For SD/HD?

PMR30 For SD/HD?

I got a call from my LGS this afternoon to tell me that they received a Kel Tec PMR30 for someone who ordered it but then backed out, I was second on the list so it's mine for the taking at MSRP if I want it. I have until Tuesday to let them know if I do. I haven't mentioned this on this forum before, but I have been casually looking out for a PMR 30 for about 6 months now, mainly as a range toy but also with a potential for defensive use. The range fun factor is definitely not in doubt so I won't focus much on that but I have some issues regarding practical considerations since I believe in having all my weapons have at least some practical uses for defense and not just sport. Here goes:

a) The gun is big in dimensions, but thin and EXTREMELY light (like 14oz). Has anyone tried to CC one? OC is absolutely out of the question.

b)The primary SD application I can envision for this gun is as a car gun, 30 rounds per magazine, 2 magazines...you get the picture. Does anyone have any real world knowledge of the 22 WMR as far as barrier penetration and terminal ballistics goes?

c) Ammo availability...I did a quick search and found little out there, I don't really pay attention (until now), but overall how hard is it to find this caliber? Are there many manufacturers?

d) Noise...I know 22WMR is very loud, even for a gunshot, but is it so loud that it would be disorienting if fired indoors? since there is a rail on the gun, I would put a light/laser on it and possibly the threaded barrel, since a suppressor is a consideration down the line potentially.

Overall, is this a good gun to get to join my others? Is it a practical SD weapon or just a range toy?

2. Remove Ads

DBS
    I have a buddy who got one last month. He is in love with it--tons of fun.

As far as SD/HD, I have 20-round mags in my P226, and that's 9mm. I'd take that setup over 30 rounds of .22 WMR, although the .22 WMR probably doesn't get as much respect as it deserves.

Can the PMR30 serve as a SD/HD gun? Sure, but others will do the job better.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    b)The primary SD application I can envision for this gun is as a car gun, 30 rounds per magazine, 2 magazines...you get the picture. Does anyone have any real world knowledge of the 22 WMR as far as barrier penetration and terminal ballistics goes?

Is it a practical SD weapon or just a range toy?
    Well, I would not want to be shot at by someone with a PMR-30. Here's what I think - and please bear in mind that I've never own a .22 Mag firearm, so I may be completely full of it!

The 22 Mag has more energy at the muzzle than a .380....but that doesn't tell the story. Since the .22 WMR bullets are about half the weight and just over half the diameter, they MAY penetrate to the same extent as a .380 - but they won't open up as big of a wound channel. Sitting in a vehicle is going to increase the chance that you have to deal with a barrier during a defensive situation - which to my mind means that you want more penetration, not less. If I could pick a pistol cartridge for use in a "car gun", I'd probably pick something like .357 sig or 10mm (or a magnum if you like wheelguns). Sure, maybe that's getting carried away...but how much is too much when it comes to selecting the tools that might save your life?

If it's what's at hand, it may work - and it's probably far better than pretty much any other rimfire pistol option that I can think of. I would also say that it's probably not as good as a medium to full-sized pistol chambered for a centerfire cartridge that was intended for defensive use.

Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post

The 22 Mag has more energy at the muzzle than a .380....but that doesn't tell the story.
    From similar barrel lengths the 22 WMR is really not even close to a 380 energy. If both were shot from a four inch barrel:

40gr @ 1150 fps = 117fpe
    70gr @ 950 fps = 140 fpe

If you used a higher power round like a buffalo bore, you would see even higher fpe for the 380 - even approaching 200. Out of a short barrel 117fp is about max energy for a 22 mag. Having said that, I think there is a place for the 22 in self defense.

Links