Carrying a 40+ oz, 5'' pistol and I liked it.

This is a discussion on Carrying a 40+ oz, 5'' pistol and I liked it. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this is old news to some of you guys. I have only been carrying for a short time and it seems like most ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Carrying a 40+ oz, 5'' pistol and I liked it.

I know this is old news to some of you guys. I have only been carrying for a short time and it seems like most new carriers go for a tiny pistol and any gun standard in size is out of the question, at least that's what I have seen with the people I know. I shoot my new 1911 pretty well so I figured what the heck, mind as well carry it. So I have been wearing it the last 2 days at 3:30 with ZERO complaints. Extremely comfortable and easy to draw. I don't feel the extra weight that people avoid like the plague at all. It's actually more comfortable for me than my g23, even when sitting in the car.
    bmcgilvray, OD* and WINTEJER000 like this.

VIP Member
    Sounds like you have a good rig set up, which is often the problem. Are you using a gunbelt or an otherwise sturdy belt? Can you share the holster info for the 1911'ers out there that might want to know?

I've carried my 686, but it does get a bit cumbersome for me. I prefer either a compact 9mm or a j-frame, but if you can hoist a 1911 without "carry fatigue" good for you. That's a lot of boom fist!
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member
    Yep, with a good holster and belt, weight isn't much of an issue.

But what the 1911 really has going for it when it comes to CC is the slim profile. It doesn't feel like a brick on the hip like polymer double stacks tend to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    So I have been wearing it the last 2 days at 3:30 with ZERO complaints. Extremely comfortable and easy to draw.
    If you're willing, post a few pics showing your carry setup on you ... belt, holster, gun. Might give folks a good idea of what a stellar setup looks like. (Am assuming your body type is well-suited to a larger/longer gun, and that your belt+holster are first-rate.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I've been carrying a concealed weapon for going on 19 years now and a Govt. Model 1911 has been the most frequent gun carried if I average everything in. The 1911 is so slim that it carries easily IWB and with a quality gunbelt and well designed holster the weight doesn't matter at all. I've pretty much always carried in a Bruce Nielson/Nichols type rig, either a Kramer, Sparks SSII, High Noon, or Galco copy of that design.

I CC'ed a 4" Bbl. N frame Smith Mod. 57 .41 mag. For a year or so, now that piece felt pretty big once and awhile.
    bmcgilvray, Bad Bob and USM1976 like this.

I have a very stiff gun belt, but find carrying the 5" 1911 gets old real fast. I have seen so many posts about this over the years and it is always one of two camps. Camp 1: My full size Sig p220 or 1911 doesn't bother me one bit and I carry it for 12 hours daily. Camp 2: good heavens why don't I just strap a cinder block to my hip if I am going to carry anything over 15 ounces.

It is all about personal choice. No question if I could do so comfortably, I'd carry the 5" all steel 1911 all day everyday. Because you never know when you need a gun/hammer/bludgeoning device/long range shooter. I compromised and got a compact 1911, don't regret it at all. It weighs the same loaded as my Glock 23 loaded.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

^^^

Good point Smolck, I have always carried "fighting" sized guns and prefer it that way. Plenty of people can't/won't/don't want to do that and would rather be as unencombered as possible. With me it's possible that I have, since I became legal age, always had a pistol strapped to me my whole adult life and would feel strange if I didn't. Honestly I feel under gunned when only carrying a J frame and would with a modern micro 9 also.

When I started carrying it was not in vogue to carry a small gun and to be completely honest there weren't even that many out there in standard defensive calibers. I can remember when the Sig P239 came out and was celebrated for being so compact. Advertisements back then compared it to the Sig P230; 9mm in a .380 sized package, people now consider the P239 oversized for the 9mm chambering. There are many reliable "micro" pistols today and those newer to CC seem to often choose those options for their EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    ^^^

Good point Smolck, I have always carried "fighting" sized guns and prefer it that way. Plenty of people can't/won't/don't want to do that and would rather be as unencombered as possible. With me it's possible that I have, since I became legal age, always had a pistol strapped to me my whole adult life and would feel strange if I didn't. Honestly I feel under gunned when only carrying a J frame and would with a modern micro 9 also.

When I started carrying it was not in vogue to carry a small gun and to be completely honest there weren't even that many out there in standard defensive calibers. I can remember when the Sig P239 came out and was celebrated for being so compact. Advertisements back then compared it to the Sig P230; 9mm in a .380 sized package, people now consider the P239 oversized for the 9mm chambering. There are many reliable "micro" pistols today and those newer to CC seem to often choose those options for their EDC.
    Question for you, when wearing shorts and a t-shirt what is your rig for the 5" 1911?

And I totally agree, seems these days everyone (even me) is getting more and more used to carrying "less" gun than before. I like the big guns, and most experts will tell you if you are going to carry a gun, carry a big gun. But danged if 45oz of 1911 doesn't bug me after an hour or two of moving around. Sitting, no big deal, I forget it is on me. It is walking, shopping, bending, carrying crap in Wal-Mart etc that get me. I suppose that is why the 3" 1911 is so good. I only give up 1 round to a full size.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I can wear my 5" Colt XSE all day in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II with a Beltman double thick 1 1/2" belt. The rig matters.
    OD*, BigJon10125 and GeorgiaDawg like this.

I am in the same camp as smolck. Somewhere on a happy middle ground. My 4" Kimber is about as large as I will go as far as gun size goes, and my all steel J frame 640 is probably about as small as I will go for regular carry. I might get a Sig 238 someday for very deep concealment, but I see no point in going to the micro pistols. For me, the tradeoffs in accuracy are not quite worth it. Someone else may be able to still drill out the center of every target with any gun they are handed, but as of now I am not quite that proficient of a shooter in general. Carry what works.
    smolck and miller_man like this.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I actually prefer my G19 over my LCP or Shield. It's light enough and just small enough to conceal under most stuff I wear (I'm 5'8" and 180 so I'm average). And it's really comforting knowing you have a tried and true hi cap fighting pistol on you. I never get that confidence from smaller guns.

Smolck, 1911 w/ shorts and a T/polo is the same as with khakis and a button down, either a custom JBGunbelt or Wildrness FF paired with a Sparks SSII carried ~ 4:30 with a double mag carrier ~ 8:30. I am 6'1" + though so I do have an advantage in carrying larger sized guns.

Your love of the 3" 1911 just shows how individual/different everyone is, a short Bbl'ed 1911 carries horibly on my frame. the shorter barrel allows the grip to lean out and away from my body killing concealment, where a Commander or Govt. length Bbl. pin the grip into my side hiding the frame effectively. I think it's a torso length issue.

Honestly though, I've given my 1911 time off for a G23 or Sig P229 carried AIWB. I prefer that position nowadays and a condition 1 pistol doesn't work well for me there; not a safety concern, the hammer and GS digs in too much to carry there.

Smaller 1911 alternative

I like 1911s and have several of the full size models with 5 inch barrels. But for carry I prefer the 3 inch, aluminum frame Colt Defender with shorter grip. This weighs about 24 ounces empty and will take 7+1 rounds of .45. I use a Kramer horsehide belt scabbard which is fairly stiff and holds the gun tight with no tipping out. The gun is thin, only 0.9 inches through the slide and about 1.05 inches across the grip panels, so concealment is excellent. The gun shoots as well as a full size and I give up 1 round of ammo to the regular grip length 1911s. The loaded spare magazine is quite thin and conceals easily.

OD*, smolck and matthew03 like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Sounds like you have a good rig set up, which is often the problem. Are you using a gunbelt or an otherwise sturdy belt? Can you share the holster info for the 1911'ers out there that might want to know?

I've carried my 686, but it does get a bit cumbersome for me. I prefer either a compact 9mm or a j-frame, but if you can hoist a 1911 without "carry fatigue" good for you. That's a lot of boom fist!
    I carry my 43 oz 1006 S&W in a custom made IWB kydex holster on a Wilderness Instructor belt. 1006 10mm 020.JPG
    OD* and matthew03 like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I carry my Springfield Micro Compact GI.45 often, and I enjoy it when I have it on. It's a lot heavier than my PM9 and even quite a bit heavier than my HK USP .45, and the feel of that weight on the hip -- or in the cargo pocket if that's where it is -- is actually comforting.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links