Springfield XD45 vs Champion

This is a discussion on Springfield XD45 vs Champion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry my Kimber custom II tle. I carry this 1911 everyday due to the slimness of it. I also have a XD-40. I love ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD45 vs Champion

I carry my Kimber custom II tle. I carry this 1911 everyday due to the slimness of it. I also have a XD-40. I love this gun also, but it is harder to conceal. Fatter handle...Both guns are great choices, I guess just comes down to personal preference.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

2. Remove Ads

both are good guns,,,,,, but i would get a glock 36.

VIP Member
    I'd get the 1911

Actually unless there's something I'm not realizing about the Champion, assuming it's as thick as a regular 1911, it really isn't that much thinner at least not in the hand. I've always thought of 1911s as thin and flat, but since I have both to compare, I can't really say the 1911 is signficantly thinner than the XD.

How are you going to carry it? Does capacity make a difference to you? I always carried OWB and have an xd9. This is a fine weapon, which is very easy to shoot. I would trust the reliability of an XD without question. I decided to try an IWB recently because I have been getting tired of always having the bottom of my either my XD holster or the muzzle of my 1911 GOV. exposed under my sweatshirt or what ever I'm wearing that day. That said, while I'm waiting for my 1911 rig, I have been trying a desantis nylon IWB with the XD. Not very comfortable. I am hoping that a custom IWB feels a little better. Despite my like for the XD, I am hoping that the 1911 is easier to carry IWB. I think the 1911 will be my primary choice.

My XD45 will be here Monday/Tuesday and hopefully out on the gun range Wednesday.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Frank
    I have a Glock 37 now. The G36 doesn't fit my mits very well. I just prefer the feel of a full sized pistol.
    Mike
    Last edited by fotomaker57; November 16th, 2006 at 12:40 AM.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

It seems like everyone is pretty much split between these two. maybe it's time to flip a coin and see what happens.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have been carrying a Loaded SA Champion for a little over a year. Prior to that I carried a Glock 17, a Glock 22 and a Glock 23. None fit my hands better than the Champion and my shooting also improved. I really don't know anything abvout the XD models but love the 1911 handguns. If you could try the XD and Champion you would be better off and wouldn't be second guessing your choice.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    I have an xd .45 tactical. It's the first .45 acp I have owned and I am impressed with it. The first 500 rounds I put through it was a case of wolf that I bought online with 0 malfunctions. I just started reloading for this caliber and my first batch of .45 acp went off without a hitch and was as acurate as any thing I have put through it. I did not buy it for concealed carry and have not used it for such yet. The 4'' service should be as well suited for CCW as any other full sized pistol other than the longish grip to accomodate 13 rounds of .45 acp. I bought mine to wear on my hip while riding my 4 wheeler through the Mark Twain National Forrest so concealability was not a major concern for me.
    I'm a little jealous,since the only complaint that I have with mine is that it just won't feed Wolf ammo. That wouldn;t be a problem normally, but I bought 1000 rounds from Ammoman at a decent price for practice. Now, I'm trying to just sell it cheap.

CDH
    I own and carry "almost" both in that I have the XD45 Service but my 1911 pistol is a Colt LW XSE Commander.
    The only real difference between the Commander and the Champion is that the Champion is 1/4" shorter in barrel length at 4" compared to the 4-1/4" barrel length of the Commander. All other dimensions are identical, and my Commander is the Lightweight model (which I highly recommend).

I am mightily impressed with both pistols and I shoot them both well. However, I have taken to carrying the Commander most of the time for just one reason, and that is that it's MUCH easier to conceal than the XD45.
    I wish it weren't so because I like the 13+1 capacity of the XD over the 8+1 capacity of the Commander, but the fact is, the Commander is flatter and therefore easier to dress for.

When concealing, it's easier to hide a longer barrel than it is a longer grip, and it's much easier to hide a flatter pistol than a fat one.

So for the primary use of carry, I'd vote for the Champion, but get the XD45 Service anyway. I DO carry the XD45 during the colder months in Houston when I can wear a jacket or sweater.

It realy impresses me that so many of you recomend both pistols so highly. Usualy this many people can never agree. This just shows me that both products are indeed very good. One thing I am wondering about is the durability of the light weight loaded. With the aluminum frame is there a problem with wear? I shoot my carry piece a lot. Do you think this could cause any problems down the road?
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

I had the same concerns about the Champion LW at first but opted for the LW over the Stainless Steel version in the end. I really like the LW and figure I may just have to have another if I wear this one out in the meantime. Only time is going to give us a good answer on this question.
    Friends don't let friends buy GLOCKs!

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    It realy impresses me that so many of you recomend both pistols so highly. Usualy this many people can never agree. This just shows me that both products are indeed very good. One thing I am wondering about is the durability of the light weight loaded. With the aluminum frame is there a problem with wear? I shoot my carry piece a lot. Do you think this could cause any problems down the road?
    Mike
    Shooting a LOT of +P .45 ammo out of an aluminum frame "might" encourage more wear or even cracking down the road, but the same can be said of steel frames as well.
    Frame cracking has been found in both steel and aluminum 1911's so I wouldn't give it that much consideration.
    For my part, I see absolutely NO reason to shoot +P from either my XD45 Service or my Commander so I give no consideration to long term wear. My nephews are already fighting each other for who gets to pry each of these pistols out of my cold dead hands. At least, I'm hoping they wait until I'm dead.
    Any high quality 1911 will hold up extremely well under long term use of any 230g ammo (non+P).

CDH
    Thanks for the info. I would not be shooting any +p. Don't see the need with 45.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links