Springfield XD45 vs Champion

This is a discussion on Springfield XD45 vs Champion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK I am feeling the need for a new pistol. Tell me which you would pick and why. Springfield XD 45 4 inch or Springfield ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD45 vs Champion

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

OK I am feeling the need for a new pistol. Tell me which you would pick and why. Springfield XD 45 4 inch or Springfield Loaded Champion. To answer your question yes this will be a carry piece. So give me your feelings.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Well I can sort of speak to that.

I have this and a Springfield Armory Loaded at the moment, but mine's a government model.

I carry the XD45 4" service model. It's my most frequently used handgun. I believe you should try to shoot what you carry and carry what you shoot as much as possible.

I don't have any actual first hand experience with the other gun you're considering, but I cannot find any fault with my full size SA 1911. Then again I'm not a 1911 fanatic, this one seems quite adequate for my purposes.

At this point I'd choose the XD45 hands down for a practical carry gun. I don't think you can really mess this up, however.

I prefer the XD for general carry use because it's not something I'm afraid to put a hundred scratches on, it doesn't have an external safety which is a personal preference of mine, and it's just an easier gun to deal with. I feel like I get the best parts of the 1911 (the cartridge and the ergonomics) without any of the drawbacks. It just seems like a practical gun to me, I like it like I like my Estwing hammer, it's just a good tool.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    If I had to choose myeslf, I'd get the XD45 Service Model. 13+1 rounds of 45 ACP is pretty darn good, but the bad thing is though it'll empty out your wallet quicker from all the ammo you're buying if you shoot often at the range.

VIP Member
    I have a Springfield Champion and I have to say, I'll never part with it! My other guns are Glocks.
    Very sweet to carry and even sweeter to shoot. Even the spare magazines are easy to wear.

A feller ougt to have at least one good 1911 in his CCW round up!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    That is one tough choice. I own a XD45 service and a kimber ultra carry...similar but not the same as a champion. I love both of these firearms, the XD is really growing on me because of the ergo's, mag capacity, and utilitarian aspects. But I mostly carry the UCII, as I am a 1911 fan. The mags for the 1911 are much easier to carry, and I like having that external safety, and carrying condition 1.
    So I guess I would go with the champion first...wow I can't believe I said that....but I ended up owning both.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Not familiar with the Springfield Loaded Champion, but I own the XD 45 service model. It's my favorite gun. I shoot it even better than my Beretta 92 FS, A Glock 19, and a Glock 26, all 9mm. I like the polymer frame, and until the XD came along, I really liked the Glocks. The XD is a "Super Glock", similar features,with even more- the grip safety, loaded chamber indicator, cocked striker indicator, and a 45 caliber gun with a 14 round capacity. It's a hell of a gun.

I have an xd .45 tactical. It's the first .45 acp I have owned and I am impressed with it. The first 500 rounds I put through it was a case of wolf that I bought online with 0 malfunctions. I just started reloading for this caliber and my first batch of .45 acp went off without a hitch and was as acurate as any thing I have put through it. I did not buy it for concealed carry and have not used it for such yet. The 4'' service should be as well suited for CCW as any other full sized pistol other than the longish grip to accomodate 13 rounds of .45 acp. I bought mine to wear on my hip while riding my 4 wheeler through the Mark Twain National Forrest so concealability was not a major concern for me.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    keep the sugestions coming
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I'd pick the Champion in lightweight

Springfield makes two versions of the Champion, one in all steel at 34 ounces, and a lightweight with aluminum frame at 28 ounces. I'd pick the lightweight version over the XD 45 for carry. I think the thinner Champion 1911 is easier to conceal than the wide XD, and it sure is more attractive in appearance.

You can carry 8+1 rounds in the Champion, which I think is adequate for 99% of the civilian armed encounters you are likely to have. So the extra magazine capacity of the XD is not a big factor for me. I would carry a spare magazine for the Champion, however. Here is a photo from the Springfield website of the lightweight Champion:

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    What pogo2 said. The thinner Champion is easier to conceal than the XD. But then again I am a 1911 guy. I'd rather carry an extra mag and be able to conceal more effectively. And 1911's have it all over other autos in the looks department.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I personally would pick the XD45, for several reasons. I own one and it's one of my top favorites. The 13+1 capacity is hard to beat, it's highly reliable, highly accurate, a lot easier on the wallet, lighter, has excellent saftey features, and is really fun to shoot. I own a .45 single action by para similar to the SA champion. I like it as a carry better only because it's really compact. If the XD45 came in subcompact, that would be my first choice. You also have to consider if you want double or single action. I feel more comfortable carrying a single action with a round in the chamber, because you can manually decock it, but with the XD there is no decocker. But then again the grip and trigger safty's pretty much ensure there won't be any accidental discharges. It really comes down to personal choice, but IMO between these 2 picks the XD is the better choice. All these reasons and more is why the XD45 got 2006 handgun of the year. Consider that as well.

buy one that you can afford now, then by the other for x-mas:) seriously both are great, reliable guns you really can't go wrong.

I have an XD45 Service with about 1200 rounds through it but my ccw holster from Highnoon is going to be a while yet. I have a loaded Champion LW with about 500 rounds through it. I carry the Champion for now or a Ruger SP101. When I get the holster I will have a problem. Ruger Sp101 - light days, Champion - medium days, and XD45 for those heavy days! Well, it's the best idea I have come up with to date. I expect the Champion will win out most of the time. All three guns are up to the task. Just boils down to which one you like to shoot the best but be aware that can change from day to day. It's a hopeless mess! Just remember "Friends don't let friends buy Glocks"!
    Friends don't let friends buy GLOCKs!

Ergonomics

I definitely have an 1911 bias so it will influence my advice in this. I normally carry either my SA, Champ or my Para, LTC for "off duty" carry (I carry a 5" SA Loaded model "on duty"). I do not own an "XD", although I have fired a few at the dept. range. I have small to med. size hands and the single stack 1911's just fit like a glove. The "XD's", like my double stack Para 16.40 feel quite different and more bulky to me (even though there is technically not much difference in diameter).

It is much easier to carry a few single stack mag's than an extra double stack for me (I simply slide one or two in my back pocket next to my wallet and never notice its there). I would suggest you try handling both (preferably together at a gun shop) to see which one feels better in your hand. Both are reliable and accurate, its just a matter of personal preference.
    Good Luck
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    What pogo2 said. The thinner Champion is easier to conceal than the XD. But then again I am a 1911 guy. I'd rather carry an extra mag and be able to conceal more effectively. And 1911's have it all over other autos in the looks department.
    SA champ owner here too. I have the LW version as well. i used to carry a HK USP F. or a Taurus PT140. I found the SA much easier to carry , its thinner and the spare mags are easier to carry. I can wear my SA in the summer under just a t shirt with no printing.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links