Springfield XD/XDM vs Glock. A personal comparo

This is a discussion on Springfield XD/XDM vs Glock. A personal comparo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This thread is my quick comparo between the bitter rivals Springfield Armory and Glock who perennially go at each other for the title of best ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Springfield XD/XDM vs Glock. A personal comparo

Springfield XD/XDM vs Glock. A personal comparo

This thread is my quick comparo between the bitter rivals Springfield Armory and Glock who perennially go at each other for the title of best striker fired SD pistols of our modern times.

I own three Springfields: XD9sc, XD45c and the XDM .40 3.8 inch service pistol. Also in my stable are my joint EDC's the Glock 19 and 26. I know that my collection is all over the place with all sorts of different calibers and sizes but I'll focus on features, product lineups (as I've researched while deciding between these two fine brands), triggers, grips, safeties and the like.

Something like this requires a slightly longer post but I hope it helps future SA or Glock buyers better understand the differences between the two and make an informed decision.

The lineups.

Glock simply has the best lineup between the two brands. Hands down. The similarities within a given caliber are very convenient - own a G17, 19, 26 and 34 and you can expect to share magazines and holsters between them seamlessly up and down that caliber lineup. Here's Glock's lineup at a glance:

Granted, all of what I mentioned above is doable for the XD pistols too... To an extent. Once you make the jump to XDM's your XD mags won't be compatible. Also if you have XD specific holsters it won't fit XDM's due to subtle but significant slide changes. This is a major downfall of the XD and XDM generations. SA's lineup is also not as clean as Glock's. And they don't offer as many caliber choices. Unfortunately SA doesn't have a handy chart like Glock does. I've doctored one up myself. Here it is...

Preview of “XD models”.jpg

Big advantage to Glock in this category.

Weight and size.

Plain and simple: XD's are heavier than Glocks. My empty XD9sc is heavier than my fully loaded G19! The double decker top heavy profile of the XD pistols lends to this extra weight. It also has a few more widgets like a LCI, grip safety, and striker ready indicators (to be discussed later) that add up in weight ever so much. Glocks are just a plain joy to carry because they feel so light.

Advantage Glocks.

Shape and comfort during CC

XD's are rough feeling. No two ways about it. Crazy serrations everywhere (especially the Gillette razor blade wannabe slide on the XDM's) and the double decker top heavy slide work against the XD's here. Glocks have simple slides that have a nice low bore axis and baby's bottom smooth contours except for the mild serrations on the rear to assist with racking. Glock comfort is a thing of beauty. My G19 rivals even my Ruger LCP in comfort carried IWB! I grow tired if lugging around the XD9sc all day compared to the G19.

Glock wins here too.

Function.

Just comparing my smaller sized XD9sc against my G19, the XD has stiffer springs and is harder to rack compared to the Glock. Ergonomics and functions are on par with each other. Glock's takedown sequence is caveman easy. XD is pretty simple too but a smidge more complicated than the Glock's. XDM's have the best takedowns because you don't have to pull the trigger to release the slide unlike the older XD's or Glocks.

Again, the differences in takedown between the XD and XDM models seem unnecessary but are nonetheless non intrusive.

A slight edge to Glocks in this department.

Triggers.

Glocks edge out XD's in my opinion. XD's shoot really well but the trigger break is more vague and the reset less forceful than the Glock's. Glocks just have this down pat. Glock triggers have quickly become my favorites.

Chalk a narrow win to Glock here.

Grips.

There is quite a lot of talk about the Glock grip angle. It's fairly hard for me to detect a difference in grip angle between the Glocks and XD's. So I won't comment on that.

I will comment on other details such as Glocks generally having fatter grips. My hands fit my SA's better in almost every instance. XD's and 3rd gen Glocks don't have changeable backstraps. Holding both side by side and for a guy like me who fits a medium glove size, I like the size of the SA grips better. Now the XDM and gen 4 Glocks (which I do not own... Yet!) have changeable backstraps. I can't comment on the gen 4 Glocks but the XDM ones work really well.

Glocks do have finger grooves where SA's do not. Some love and some hate the finger grooves. For a medium hand sized shooter like me the grooves are perfect! The Glock actually helps you locate and draw faster than SA's or others without the grooves. That's my personal experience at least.

Grips are, thus, left more to preference instead of a clear win or lose. I call this one a draw.

Shooting.

Both brands do remarkably well here. I shoot SA's and Glocks equally well. I know some people fuss about the XD's high bore axis but it's not as big a deal for me. My follow up shots are comparable to my Glocks.

IMO it's a tie here.

Safeties.

Well this is the interesting category. For some people the lack of any manual safeties on Glocks are a major turnoff. One of the reasons I started out with XD's is because of the grip + trigger safeties. For beginners, it's a nice compromise for not having a thumb safety. Aside from 1911's I personally feel that thumb safeties have no place on a defensive handgun. Fine motor skills will go out the window during an adrenaline dump. SA offers a great alternative with their system. In my book it's genius.

The LCI and striker ready indicators on SA pistols are nice little things. They give visual and tactile indicators letting you know if you're ready to rock and roll.

Once you turn to the Glock crowd, they scoff at all the nannying that the SA's employ. More parts = more things that can go wrong. To me, EDC'ing a Glock is a form of graduation. You're graduating from a novice shooter who's unsure of yourself to one that has good control and respect for a simple weapon whose only duty in life is to go bang when you pull the trigger. You can barely tell if the chamber is loaded (there's a tiny slit of a window by the ejector where you can eyeball the presence of a casing) and is that striker at ready?? Beats me! When did you rack it last?? But the sheer simplicity of a Glock is both its bane and its appeal. You have to be 100% confident and attentive when you carry one. Holster selection is super important too. Get your booger hook on the trigger on a draw or re-holster and you'll have a bad day. Cheapie holster that creases and pulls the trigger? That's a trip to the ER. Respect and be mindful of the trigger and the Glock is a stalwart companion ready to go at any time.

So between the two, SA beats out Glock all days of the week. SA's have safeties. Glock has none. But some argue that this is Glock's strength. You'll have to weigh what you're comfortable with. SA wins here.

Reliability.

I can't make a solid claim here but let's put it this way: my three SA's and two Glocks (which are relative newcomers to my arsenal) have been 100% reliable. Zero zip zilch malfunctions of any kind. I did buy and eventually sell a terrible example of a XDS45 so I tend to lean Glock a little due to that sour taste.

But I'll call it a tie for now just based on my personal range time.

Looks.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Neither brand are what anyone would call sexy. One isn't necessarily nicer looking than the other either. Both are pretty plain and utilitarian. However, I personally hate the overdone serrations on the XDM's. So I'll knock one point off the SA for that. Glocks are nice, simple and as sexy as your aunt Helga.

Just a smidge of advantage to Glocks thanks to the butt ugly XDM's.

And finally... Aftermarket support.

Glock wins hands down. Being longer on the market, higher in popularity and more consistent between generations, you'll find an endless flood of holsters, mags, sights and etc for Glocks. SA's are well supported as well but nowhere near what Glock has going. I still struggle a little to find exactly what I want for my Springfields. Glocks have no such issues.

Big win for Glocks there.

Summary

Well that was exhausting. Thanks for making it thru this review. I hope it helps you decide on which guns to get.

It may seem like I favor Glocks but to be honest you'd do fine with either brand. Glocks have a lot of advantages but SA's trump card is in their super practical and effective external safeties. That piece of mind will win buyers over almost singlehandedly. Where it counts the most: accuracy and going bang every time, both fit the bill admirably. Happy gun buying and thanks for reading my personal review/comparo!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by DetChris; May 8th, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
    Phaedrus and ironmike86 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for writing this review! I am actually stumped on whether to go with the XDM 40/ Glock 23/ Glock 22 as my EDC.. I just cant seem to make up my mind, and I dont want to make the "wrong" decision. It is actually really comforting in a way to read from someone that owns both brands that no matter which brand you choose they are both accurate and go bang everytime. I am new to the CC world and have owned a few Rugers and a S&W all in 40 cal. but I feel it is just time for something new.. Anyways, thanks again for the review!
    DetChris likes this.

I apreciate your review, however i like the roughness of the grips on the xd. but both are fine weapons, i'd say it falls to personal preference, mine is neither but i do like both.
    SCXDm9 and DetChris like this.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Distinguished Member
    Good review. I carry a Glock, but I'm not a fan boy. From handling them and reading/hearing about them I like XD's, I will eventually have an XD as well. I'm not partial either way, I think your review was fair and well done/thought out.
    DetChris likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    The XD series pistols feel better in my hands than Glocks but I shoot my Glocks better.
    DetChris likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    You compared line-ups but failed to mention Glock lacks a small single stack while the XD's have the XDS? Seems a bit bias.

Most of what you said is true, but the verdicts mostly comes down to personal preference. I can respect that.
    SCXDm9 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    You compared line-ups but failed to mention Glock lacks a small single stack while the XD's have the XDS? Seems a bit bias.

Most of what you said is true, but the verdicts mostly comes down to personal preference. I can respect that.
    I didn't quite comment on the single stack thing but Glock does indeed have a single stack 45. It's the G36.

I can't review the XDS vs the G36 because I own neither. Used to own a bad XDS that I got rid of and I don't own a G36... Yet! :D

I would have to disagree with the XD being major competition for Glock. Hardly. The S&W copy would take those honors.
    multistage, C hawk Glock and OD* like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I would have to disagree with the XD being major competition for Glock. Hardly. The S&W copy would take those honors.
    Agree with the S&W note. I am not at all familiar with the M&P line so I can't speak to them.

Disagree with the XD statement. I know you're not a SA fan glockman but they're worthy pistols. They are a solid second in my safe.

I tried both and ended up going with the XD. I shot them about the same, but the XD just felt better in my hand. As I told the guy at the gun store, holding the Glock felt like holding a 2x4 in my hand. I question what you say about the weight, though. The specs don't seem to agree with your assessment. Other than that, great writeup and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bdbull View Post
    I tried both and ended up going with the XD. I shot them about the same, but the XD just felt better in my hand. As I told the guy at the gun store, holding the Glock felt like holding a 2x4 in my hand. I question what you say about the weight, though. The specs don't seem to agree with your assessment. Other than that, great writeup and thanks.
    I didn't use a weighing scale or anything. Just gripping the G19 (which is a larger sized gun) and the XD9sc, I could feel the difference. I admit its not scientific enough. I'll put them on a scale tonight.

I have a Gen 3 Glock 23. My middle finger didn't sit between the humps, it sat on top of them. I love my Glock now that I have removed the finger humps. I'm all set for CC with my G23 and LC9. The next handgun I buy will be a full sized model. No more fat, blocky grips with finger humps for me. My next pistol will most likely be a SA XDM 5.25 in either 9mm or .40 S&W.

IMO, everything about the Glock is perfect except for the finger humps.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by bdbull View Post
    ...I question what you say about the weight, though. The specs don't seem to agree with your assessment...
    According to each of the manufacturers' site info, the loaded G19 only weighs 3 oz more than the empty XD9sc. Unloaded, the G19 is 6 oz lighter than the XD9sc. A closer comparison would be the G19 (loaded at 30 oz) and the XD9 compact (empty 30 oz).
    Glock Certified Armorer

Anyone with a Glock or Glockmeister sight tool can put (or replace) night sights on a Glock.
    Can the same be said for XD?

Something to consider.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Anyone with a Glock or Glockmeister sight tool can put (or replace) night sights on a Glock.
    Can the same be said for XD?

Something to consider.
    Ever done it on an XDM? You damn near have to cut the things off on the rear sight!
    multistage likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links