H&K USP Compact .40sw ?

H&K USP Compact .40sw ?

This is a discussion on H&K USP Compact .40sw ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I probably haven't been around long enough but I haven't seen any or many posts on this weapon. I went to the range the other ...

H&K USP Compact .40sw ?

I probably haven't been around long enough but I haven't seen any or many posts on this weapon. I went to the range the other day to shoot a Glock 23 and a Sig 239 both in .40 caliber. I also shot the Glock 36 and a Sig in .45. I shot them all well but was more accurate with the Sig .40. When I went in the shop to make my purchase they had no Sigs in stock. The grips on the Sig were a little narrow anyway and I asked about modifying them. The salesperson reached under the counter and pulled out the HK compact .40. It felt great. Same basic weight and balance of the Sig with the slightly thicker grips I was looking for. Since the HK and the Sig were the same price, I bought the HK. I went to the range and put the first 10 rounds in a teacup sized ring at 15 yards. Needless to say, I was very pleased. I was just curious at the lack of discussion on this gun. I am interested on opinions and suggestions on carry and holsters.
    "The truth is not half as important as what people believe the truth to be." Napoleon
    Bersa .380
    H&K USP Compact .40SW
    S&W 66 .357
    Colt Commander .45

I carry the USP in .40 and .45. My instructor told me to pick a gun that best fits your hands. It turns out we both picked one of the best tupperware guns out there. One thing I did was put night sights on the gun. Orange in back, green in front.

Maybe the best .40 polymer compact

I have actually seen a fair amount of discussion on this board regarding the H&K USP 40 compact, and I think a number of the people here own the gun.

You commented that the Sig grip seemed narrow to you, evidently talking about the Sig model P239. That gun has a single stack magazine and corresponding narrow grip, compared to the double stack magazine and wider grip of the USP 40c. I believe that the Sig which corresponds to the USP would be the model P229, having a double stack magazine and grip width similar to the USP. Both the P229 and the USP 40c will take a 12 round magazine.

I personally like the USP 40c, having had one for over a year, and have frequently carried it. Like you I have found it to be quite accurate and reliable, and its light weight (24 ounces empty) and compact dimensions make it easy to conceal. I carry it with a chambered round and decocked, so the first shot is double action. But in practicing this DA shot followed by a followup in single action, I don't feel that it handicaps my accuracy.

In answer to your holster question, I use a Kramer horsehide OWB belt scabbard for the gun. My ammo is Winchester Silvertip 155 grains, which give 1205 fps velocity and 500 foot pounds of muzzle energy:

I too have a H&K USPc 40. It was a Christmas present to myself a year ago. I like the pistol, find it very reliable, will shoot anything I have feed it.

The grip took some getting used to, I have always shot 1911's. My hands are medium size.

My wife also is very fond of the USPc. She does not have any problem with the recoil.

The holster I use is a Galco #FL428. It is fine for winter carry with bulky clothing. For summer carry I still carry a 1911.

JBuck

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I carry one. Love it. I've put about about 10,000 rounds through mine. The only issue I had were some FTF's about 6 months ago. This was rectified by getting rid of the mag that was FTF'ing.

The gun still fires like its brand new. Of course, I also clean mine obsessively... caress it... sing it to sleep.... LOL j/k
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I've got a USP compact in .45 and I love it! You didn't specify whether you were interested in IWB or OWB holsters. I've got a Comp-Tac C-T.A.C. IWB and a Settable Cant (also Comp-Tac) OWB.

Lead Moderator
    USP F .40 here. Some folks find the thick grips and bulky size too much to shoot/conceal easily. Personally, I love shooting my USP.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

USPc.40LEM here. carry mostly in Aker Flatsider. Sometimes in Galco Fletch. Love it! My duty gun is a P2000.40LEM. Love the grips better but don't care for the ambi slide release even though i'm a lefty. I consider the H&K and SIG to be the RollsRoyce and Bentley of the production defense guns. Obviously custom guns alter opinions but for production guns I thing they're top shelf.

Thanks for the response guys. I guess I needed some confirmation I made a good decision. I love the way the gun feels and the accuracy. I know that is the most important thing. The grip did not feel as bulky as the Glock and I was considerably more accurate with the HK. Pogo2, sweet rig. Thanks for the pic. I plan on carrying IWB 3:00-4:00. I have also considered small of the back where I think, since I am right handed, I would need a left handed or ambi rig. Mine too was an early Christmas present to myself. My wife doesn't know she got it for me yet but she will not mind.
    "The truth is not half as important as what people believe the truth to be." Napoleon
    Bersa .380
    H&K USP Compact .40SW
    S&W 66 .357
    Colt Commander .45

I've got the USPc 9mm, and like all you have said, it's an awesome gun! I put a Hogue grip sleeve on it and now it feels absolutely perfect.

Links