PPS vs XDs 9mm for appendix carry

This is a discussion on PPS vs XDs 9mm for appendix carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have a XDm 9mm 4.5" as my first and only handgun. I love it, shoot it pretty well, and it has been flawless ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: PPS vs XDs 9mm for appendix carry

PPS vs XDs 9mm for appendix carry

I currently have a XDm 9mm 4.5" as my first and only handgun. I love it, shoot it pretty well, and it has been flawless for me in 2000+ rounds.

I plan to get my CCW permit soon, and am interested in a single stack 9mm for a carry gun. Due to a previous shoulder injury, I think appendix carry would work better for me than stong side hip. At work, I think a Smart Carry would work well, since I wear a shirt and tie, but no jacket.

I've been considering a PPS in 9mm. I understand it to be reliable and well made. I also am considering an XDs 9mm, when it comes out. I heard some issued with the 45 XDs having light strikes, though. I have held both in my hand, and liked both, but have shot neither. The PPS did fit my better, by a small margin.

My question is, does the grip safety of the XDs make it safer for appendix carry than a PPS would be? I do have a 3 year old at home who likes to run right at me, and he's at "appendix level" with his head and hands. I have a fear of him somehow causing a ND.

Thanks for your opinions.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Your title is confusing. It mentions a 9mm XDs but you talk about a .45. The 9mm XDs is not out yet so you are really confusing people with your topic title and we do not know if you are considering a .45 or think the XDs 9mm is out.

As far as the light strikes go that is due to a weak grip on the gun. You can find a YouTube video where a guy has his wife shoot the gun and there are like primer strikes which he swears cannot be caused by limp wristing. Goes so far as to say that his wife is not limp wristing. Make sure you watch part two where he shoots the gun and the light strikes and jams went away but are still there for his wife. Just goes to show how little most people know about guns and can tell just by looking at someone shooting. My XDs and those of all I know with them, has been flawless with any ammo I feed it. There are a lot of used ones on sale because many gun owners are buying them because they were the cool gun to get a while back and had to have them. Then they learned something they should have known. There is no such thing as a free lunch. The lighter the gun, the more recoil there is. Put a big caliber in a lightweight gun and you have more recoil than video game, physical contact avoiding, people can control. I am a senior citizen and the XDs is my main carry gun but then again I played football and any recoil I have ever felt makes being tackled by a line backer feel like a pillow fight. :)
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

VIP Member
    I can't comment on the XD-S or the PPS, but I carry AIWB everyday with a pistol with no external safeties (Glock) and I've never been concerned that my kiddos could cause an accidental discharge, nor have any of them ever come even close to even getting a paw on my pistol. If your gun is properly holstered (in a properly designed holster), I really don't see how a child could cause the pistol to fire. OK, I suppose if they were actively trying to grab your gun and you were actively not protecting your gun, maybe. Under 'normal' circumstances, I just don't see it being an issue.

In fact, this is one of the reasons I really like carrying in the appendix position; I maintain a greater degree of control over the weapon, even passively, because of its location.
    Bad Bob and ScottM like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Sorry for the confusion, Old Dog. I am aware the Xds 9mm isn't out yet, and that is the one I'm considering. I'd wait for its arrival. I mentioned the XDs 45 because of the reliability complaints I've seen online, with the idea that the 9mm model would function similarly. It seems reasonable that most of the complaints are the fault of the user.

TX expat: The PSS has no external safties, as I understand it. Thanks for reassuring me about its safety in the appendix position.

The PPS is a great gun. In that same size id the Kahr and Ruger LC9. I am not familiar with the light strike issue with the XDs is it a brand issue? I know CCI has harder primers than Federal or Winchester.

As far as the light strikes go that is due to a weak grip on the gun.
    I have to disagree with you here Old Dog, never heard of a misfire caused by limp wristing, a stove pipe, but not a FTF.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    Your title is confusing. It mentions a 9mm XDs but you talk about a .45. The 9mm XDs is not out yet so you are really confusing people with your topic title and we do not know if you are considering a .45 or think the XDs 9mm is out.

As far as the light strikes go that is due to a weak grip on the gun. You can find a YouTube video where a guy has his wife shoot the gun and there are like primer strikes which he swears cannot be caused by limp wristing. Goes so far as to say that his wife is not limp wristing. Make sure you watch part two where he shoots the gun and the light strikes and jams went away but are still there for his wife. Just goes to show how little most people know about guns and can tell just by looking at someone shooting. My XDs and those of all I know with them, has been flawless with any ammo I feed it. There are a lot of used ones on sale because many gun owners are buying them because they were the cool gun to get a while back and had to have them. Then they learned something they should have known. There is no such thing as a free lunch. The lighter the gun, the more recoil there is. Put a big caliber in a lightweight gun and you have more recoil than video game, physical contact avoiding, people can control. I am a senior citizen and the XDs is my main carry gun but then again I played football and any recoil I have ever felt makes being tackled by a line backer feel like a pillow fight. :)
    I think something is lost in translation here. How would any type of grip on the gun affect how hard the firing pin hits the primer?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

You cannot go wrong with the PPS. Tough finish, durable, and great accuracy. That much said, a couple things to consider:

Mag release can take getting used to, and may not be a worthwhile change if all of your other EDC's are button released.
    Also the magazines themselves are spendy. Expect to pay $40-50 for them, whether they be the 6 round flush or 8 round extended.

Neither bother me, and I carry my PPS as my CC EDC choice. I cannot comment on the XDs, having never carried one or shot the "s" model.

PPS is a fine gun, but the way the grip is configured makes it really easy to pinch/cause a blood blister with a quick mag reload. It's a fine gun though.

XDS could be safer if you disengage the grip safety while re-holstering in appendix.

LC9 has a manual safety on the frame, so that would be safer for appendix carry.

M&P Shield has a manual safety on the frame also, so more safe there too.

Appendix carry safety is all about the gun handler, using proper re-holstering techniques and being very reluctant to re-holster quickly. I never recommend a new carrier start carrying in appendix without a lot of serious reflection on whether their gun handing skills are where they should be to safely carry that way.

To quote someone who has helped put appendix carry on the map in recent years, Todd Green of Pistol-Training.com, "If you **** up, You die!"

Please read this thread before carrying appendix. AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Currently, I am trying out a 9mm Shield with a Dark Star Gear appendix holster. So far so good, and it feels like it's not even there compared to the G17 and G19 I regularly carry at appendix.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

answer to main question. The XDs45 is stone cold reliable and I imagine the 9mm version will benefit from everything Springfield has learned too. I would not worry about an XD of any type being a lemon. There's not a model gun built where customers never have some issue and plaster that issue all over the web. Of course companies like S&W and others work very hard to suppress those reports. The holster is your best protection against AD accidents. You can't fire a gun when it's in a decent holster and although many people hate grip safeties I have never once in all my years had a single issue with one on any model gun. I also can't comment on the PPS but I have owned guns from that brand and I would always consider the complexity of the parts, field stripping without tools and stone cold simplicity in design. The one thing I can say about the 45 XDs which I carry. With the shorter grip and stock magazine it takes some practice to get smooth with the draw and getting a fast grip. The extended mag is going to solve that but adds size. I would be very interested in holding one of the new 9mm XDs versions when available. Unless it's thinner or smaller than the 45 not sure what the benefit would be besides more rounds. I would hope a 9mm version would be even smaller.
    tmoore912 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarf View Post
    Sorry for the confusion, Old Dog. I am aware the Xds 9mm isn't out yet, and that is the one I'm considering. I'd wait for its arrival. I mentioned the XDs 45 because of the reliability complaints I've seen online, with the idea that the 9mm model would function similarly. It seems reasonable that most of the complaints are the fault of the user.

TX expat: The PSS has no external safties, as I understand it. Thanks for reassuring me about its safety in the appendix position.
    Your question, including the topic of your post are clear to me. Not sure why others are confused.

I haven't had any issues with my XDS, and believe that the grip safety offers a little extra comfort beyond other striker fired guns with no external safety mechanism. I carry mine in a belly band most of the time, and haven't had any close calls. Hopefully the 9mm version is identical except for the caliber.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

DBS
    I really like my PPS. I think if you appendix carry it in a rig that adequately protects the trigger you should be fine.

I tried the XDs before I made my CC purchase. I liked it too, but not as much as the Walther.

One option to consider: if you want to carry inside your home but are worried about appendix because of your child, you could reserve the appendix position for outside the house and choose a different position (and probably a different holster) for inside the house.
    GeorgiaShooter likes this.

Check out the LC9, I have mine tucked into my pants right now in a MIC holster and I can barely tell it's there (I'm wearing khaki style shorts). I have the safety on since I'm at home but when I go out later it will be off, the trigger is covered and the pull is long and heavy, an ND is virtually impossible.

As mentioned previously, most issues with the XDs have been because of improper use of the gun. A lot of people don't lube/oil the gun before first use and many people don't understand that you have to rack the XDs with authority.

I have about 800 rds so far through mine and not a single issue, but I take great care to clean/oil it after every trip to the range and I rack and hold the gun with intent. I have a Sig P228, P220, Springfield XDm9 and the XDs45. Out of all of these, the XDs has been my favorite lately. It's crazy how easy the XDs is to conceal. The XDs has been an absolute dream of a gun to own.
    NRA Member
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I have to disagree with you here Old Dog, never heard of a misfire caused by limp wristing, a stove pipe, but not a FTF.
    Wait... all this time I thought FTF meant failure to feed... not failure to fire...

OH no... I just read somewhere else that FTE could be either failure to eject or failure to extract.

This could get ugly.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Appendix carry setup

I like appendix carry and have used it quite a bit. My two guns for this purpose are a S&W 642 revolver and a Kahr MK9 semiauto. These are both short barrel guns with a long DAO trigger and no external safety. The holster in both cases is a Comp-Tac "2 o'clock" appendix holster of thin kydex. I don't see any way for a negligent discharge here as long as I maintain proper trigger discipline. I like appendix carry because it conceals well, offers a fast draw, and is good for use when seated. Here are my two gun/holster combos:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links