2 CCW guns

This is a discussion on 2 CCW guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have herd a lot of you talk about multiple carry guns. I was always under the impression that it is best to carry one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 CCW guns

2 CCW guns

I have herd a lot of you talk about multiple carry guns. I was always under the impression that it is best to carry one type of gun. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing. But if i carry my Glock 99% of the time, and one night out the year i go to a black tie affair and decide to carry my 1911 W/ Pearl handles cause it goes with my suit. We all know that a1911 has a few more safety devices on them than a Glock.Would like to know your opinions on this subject.Don't get me wrong i occasionally put a snub nose in my back pocket,take out garbage ect.ect.
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

2. Remove Ads

Judging from the context of your message I'm assuming by "multiple carry guns" you mean "various types of guns" rather than "multiple simultaneous guns."

In that vein, I don't think it's a huge problem if you change your weapon IF it maintains the same "manual of arms" or "operating system" as the primary with which you've developed your habits.

In other words, if you draw a Glock or an XD, they both work basically the same way so you should be reasonably OK. (Ignoring the differing grip angle for the purposes of this discussion.)

However, if you are packing something that operates differently (such as a 1911), you are probably needlessly increasing your risk of making a mistake.

Good thought...

I rotate carry between 6 different guns (2 Glocks, Kahr, Keltec, 1911& Colt revolver) depending on scenario. The biggest adjustment in shooting has to do with different trigger pulls/control. I find this more of a "range issue" when target shooting. I figure in a real-life close range combat scenario probably not as much of an issue as long as proficient with each gun. Though, I hope I wouldn't forget to hit that thumb safety if carrying the 1911 when "fight-or-flight" kicks in. Interesting to hear what others have to say.

VIP Member
    I really like the idea of carrying guns with the same manual-of-arms myself...back when I could carry any gun while off-duty, I took advantage and simultaneously carried a Kahr P9 Covert 9mm behind the hip and a Kahr PM9 9mm in a weak-hand pocket holster with two seven-round magazines. Two guns, one manual-of-arms, with magazines that fit both guns.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    I have herd a lot of you talk about multiple carry guns. I was always under the impression that it is best to carry one type of gun. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing. But if i carry my Glock 99% of the time, and one night out the year i go to a black tie affair and decide to carry my 1911 W/ Pearl handles cause it goes with my suit. We all know that a1911 has a few more safety devices on them than a Glock.Would like to know your opinions on this subject.Don't get me wrong i occasionally put a snub nose in my back pocket,take out garbage ect.ect.
    Given that you are confident with your gun,.... it's reliability, accuracy, etc. it does not matter which piece you carry.

Personally, I would carry what would be easiest to conceal and retrieve if needed. I wouldn't worry so much about what "goes with my tuxedo best..." unless maybe if I were James Bond...
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Me, I like a similar manual of arms. The mind is a funny thing under sudden extreme stress and will resort to training and habits quickly. My carries are either 1911 pattern or a J-frame revo. The revo will work as long as I pull that trigger even if my left thumb had still tried to work the safety!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Just train with everything that you will carry and I wouldn't think it will be a problem.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I carry two and they are the same type of arms e.g. DAO guns. Using only DAO guns minimize any difference from gun to gun so no safeties to worry about.

Great NY reload option where carrying extra mags does not work.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Just train with everything that you will carry and I wouldn't think it will be a problem.
    I go with this post

I practice with all the ones in my sig line all the time. The semi's get shot a little more for the simple fact that they are a little harder to shoot than the revolvers, plus I am aware of manipulating the safety to off and back on again. Thats the biggest thing to get you or someone else killed if not careful besides resting your finger on the trigger.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    My words exactly.

Thanks for the feed back, and yes i do practice with all my guns "ALOT" I was just saying that when the sh@# hits the fan muscle memory might be all you got.
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

I agree with some of the previous posters--I carry a SIG with a Kahr BUG...similiar MOA, no manual safeties (except my finger and the safety between my ears)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I normaly carry Kahr(s) , Occationaly a revolver or other auto tho . The older i get the more i am a fan of " Pull and Pull " i.e. no manual safety to fire . That being said my muscle memory is so ingrained no matter what I draw under speed drills ect.. I wipe the safety on a 1911 with my thumb . This is one of the reasons i came out so anti on the p99 and to a lesser degree dont want a p7 hk I think i need to stick with a manual of arms that is not too different from what is ingrained . For me that is revolvers with push forewared cyllinder releases , and controls located and activated at least similarly to the old 1911 . Double action autos with the flapper ( conventional on slide safety ) dont bother me since i only use it as a decocker , not a safety .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I carry a 1911 all the time, I had bought a Taurus millenium 9mm when they first came out. No matter how much I practiced I never got used to the trigger. I always short sttroked the second shot because it wouldn't reset unless you let the trigger all the way out.
    Just to many years shooting the 1911, You just can't teach an old dog new tricks I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links