Really nice home defense gun, or an older used?

This is a discussion on Really nice home defense gun, or an older used? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in the market for a home defense pistol. I'm leaning towards the Glock 17 gen 3 or 4, with a nice light on the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Really nice home defense gun, or an older used?

I'm in the market for a home defense pistol. I'm leaning towards the Glock 17 gen 3 or 4, with a nice light on the rail. My hesitation is this: that's a $600ish investment and God forbid I ever have to use it, I have to hand it over to the police for who knows how long. Some ppl have said that they get their guns back from the police and they're all scratched up, etc.

So my question is, is it a valid idea to have an older, used gun for HD in case this happens. It has to be in working order obviously, but a gun you could do without for 6 months or a year. If I buy a brand new Glock, it would likely be my favorite gun and I would miss it a lot.

Thoughts? Am I over thinking?

If I have to use it for self defense I want the best fit for me. If you think a Glock 17 is best for you, get it.

And if I have to use it for self defense and walk away from the encounter with my life, I'll consider it $600 well spent whether I get to keep the gun or not.

New or used, it's a fighting gun. If it's "cosmetically challenged" but works every time you pull the trigger then it's a good choice. Personally, I'm not going to give a crap if the finish is scuffed after using it to save my life.

Of course, the correct answer is multiple guns so that you have others to fall back on if need be
    British by birth. American by choice.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    My opinion is that if you want a safe queen, keep it in a safe. If you want a gun that you plan on seeing action, you should get one that will get scratched and dinged up without breaking your heart. It could be from dropping it (upon command from a LEO), having the authorities abuse it during an investigation, or just going through the rounds at the range (you should practice with whatever you use, even if it's just for home defense).

I would suggest in getting a second gun, regardless of whether your primary sees action and gets taken from you. You never know when you might need another one, or if you just want another one for daily use or for home defense. Plus, you don't want to be without one if your primary is unusable for any reason.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

If I came away from a defensive shooting with my $5000 dollar full-custom titanium-framed 1911 in police hands, but I was safe at home with my family, I'd count myself fortunate. If I thought that my $5000 pistol allowed me to defend myself more effectively than the 15-year-old H&K USP that I bought used, then I wouldn't hesitate to have that 1911 as my "go-to" gun for home defense. Having an expe3nsive gun at the shop or at the police station is a pain in the rear. Having anything less than the right tool in your hand when a badguy shows up intent on harming you and yours....that's significantly more uncomfortable than just a pain in the rear.

I would not hesitate to trust a used gun for defensive purposes, as long as it's from a quality manufacturer and I've tested and proven it's reliability myself. As a matter of fact, one of my primary carry guns was bought used - it was 15 years old on the day that I first shot it. I trust it with my life.

I guess what I'm saying is equip yourself with the pistol that you want to have in your hand when your life is on the line, test it out with at least 100 rounds of your carry ammo to make sure that it runs reliably, and don't worry about might happen to the gun if you have to use it. Less time worrying about what happens to the gun = more time to make sure that nothing happens to you & your family.
    WHEC724 and USM1976 like this.

True, but I have a 15 year old USP that I bought used that I would indeed trust it over any tricked out 1911 wonder gun! I think you picked a bad example!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

A gun that is meant to be used is a tool... tools get wear from use. A scratch doesnt keep it from shooting well, and a glock is a three beer beauty to begin with, you dont buy glocks for their looks, you buy them because they work. As stated, if you spend 600 bucks and walk away with your life, its 600 bucks well spent. A 2nd gun is always a good idea too. I keep a G22, a ruger SR40C, and an LCR .38 on hand.
    Eric357 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "My hesitation is this: that's a $600ish investment and God forbid I ever have to use it, I have to hand it over to the police for who knows how long."

$600 bucks is nothing to save your life. A $2000 custom 1911 is another matter. If you feel $600 is, buy a baseball bat. Get a good wood bat as people hate that ping when an aluminum bat bounces off a noggin.
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    If I came away from a defensive shooting with my $5000 dollar full-custom titanium-framed 1911 in police hands,
    By the way....I don't actually own a full custom 1911. I do own a 15 year old USP that I bought used and trust with my life.

Glock 21 or a Glock 20 would be my first choices. Hard to argue with the 10mm ballistics and .45 ACP is well, a .45 ACP nuff said! Both guns are larger framed and holds lots of bullets. If not these two I'd seriously look at the Glock 22 in .40 as it holds a whole mess of rounds too.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    $600 bucks is nothing to save your life. A $2000 custom 1911 is another matter.
    I understand your point, but my life is worth more than $2000 too.(my wife can probably quote you the number by heart)

I have no problem shooting a bad guy with a Wilson custom, or a Hi-Point if my other choice is being dead.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Your logic doesn't really work. The entire point of the home defense gun is to be used in...home defense. Saying that you don't want a good home defense because the cops might take it and abuse it is like saying that you don't want to spend the extra money on a car with good safety ratings because you might get into an accident....
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    The cost of a gun is going to be negligible next to the cost of a legal defense if you end up in court, even after a clean shoot. Does that mean you should just let whomever kick in your door and do what they will to you, your wife and children? Defend yourself vigerously with any and all things you have at your disposal, do not worry about the aftermath as long as your actions were richeous and justified.
    Eric357, Snub44 and GunTrooper like this.

VIP Member
    Look at it this way. $600.00 is a cheap price for your life.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I thought Glocks were supposed to be scratched up...
    Secret Spuk likes this.

...that's kinda like if Nancy Pelosi had a pimple...who'd notice?

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    You can buy a decent used Glock 17 or 19 (2nd or 3d gen) for about $400-450 in my area. A lot of those are police trade-ins which are a good buy IMHO. BTW, I like the Glock 19 (good for home defense AND CCW).
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links