Polymer Sig (Sp2022) Vs The More Traditional Sigs

This is a discussion on Polymer Sig (Sp2022) Vs The More Traditional Sigs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Curious as to whether it pays to buy the SP2022 (It lists about 1/3 less then the P226 or P229). It seems like it would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Polymer Sig (Sp2022) Vs The More Traditional Sigs

Polymer Sig (Sp2022) Vs The More Traditional Sigs

Curious as to whether it pays to buy the SP2022 (It lists about 1/3 less then the P226 or P229). It seems like it would be an outstanding weapon. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I have never shot but have handled this model and the 2340, not impressed by the feel. Needless to say it is much lighter than the P200 series models of similar size, but it really feels like it is half the price in build quality.

It is marketed as a "duty pistol" like Glock and M&P but VERY few agencies issue it (Baltimore County MD being the only one I know and they also authorize personal Glocks). That said, it is also (or was) authorized by the DEA and a few other 1811 agencies so that's something at least.

i own five 'classic' Sigs, and have handled the Sig Pro, which was the predecessor the the 2022. to my smallish hands it felt clunky and a bit too large in the grip. the slide lock/release lever was in a similar position, but felt different because of the long lever. the decocker was in the same place, but felt different. i suspect it was a case of a gun that operates similarly to ones i'm familiar with feeling more alien than one that was completely different.

the feedback from DC owners of the 2022 has been VERY favorable. if you just think of it as a possible SD choice, and not as a cheaper substitute for it's alloy-framed brothers, it makes a lot of sense.

i would not hesitate to carry one (assuming it passed my usual reliability testing).
    Last edited by sensei2; May 17th, 2013 at 03:43 PM.

Love mine in 9mm around a thousand rounds with no failures, with me being lazy and not cleaning it for like the last 500. Thought about seeing how long it would go, but I got bored and cleaned it lol. Not too bad to carry with the right holster.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

I like mine, with the exception of taking it down for cleaning. Seems a bit awkward to me compared to my Ruger SR9c, but over time, I'll learn to deal with it. It came with 2 grips and for me, the smaller grip made it feel much better in MY hand.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

I like mine as well now. I did have to send mine in as out of the box it was ftf, fte. They polished the feedramp, deburred the slide and replaced the hammergroup. They put 50 through it, returned it to me and I have not had so much as a hiccup from it since.

It is a very comfortable gun to shoot and very accurate once you figure out the sight placement.

I do not think I could ever trust it as my cc gun due to its troubles right out of the box, but I have a glock19 for that, but it is a great range gun or backup piece and if yours had no issues at the time of purchase I could see it being a carry piece.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I had a 2340 that I bought for a really good price a few years back but could never really warm up to it. It certainly did not shoot or feel the same as my duty pistol at the time, which was a P229.
    Kennydale and GhostMaker like this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I love my 2022 in 9mm every bit as much as my "expensive" Sigs.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

There isn't a gun on the planet that will appeal to everyone, the SP's are great a value with a good reputation. I sleep soundly knowing my 2022 is in the nightstand.
    Hodad likes this.

I LOVE my 2022!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So does everyone that I've let shoot it.

The only problem I ever had with it was trying to fire cheap, steel case Tulammo through it. Never had any problems with brass ammo.
    Kennydale likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Have the "old" 2340 in .40 cal w/rail mounted laser for my nightstand gun. Way too heavy and clunky for EDC carry IMO.

Might carry OWB when out in the woods where hogs could be a problem.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I have read a few reviews one called it the best kept secret out there. another kind of made a reference that it was a cheap version of the more expensive Sigs. I was handling a demo at the NRA Convention, it kinda spoke to me (If i had the money I would be looking for P229 Enhanced Elite.... Maybe after tomorrow's PowerBall)

Sig SP2022 IMHO is a best buy!!!
    kmagnuss likes this.

Agreed on one of the best values out there IMO.

I have one and it has been great. Very good trigger. Heck of a gun for the money. Buy it , you won't be sorry!
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links