IN compact Glocks why carry a 9mm or 40 when you can carry a 45acp?

This is a discussion on IN compact Glocks why carry a 9mm or 40 when you can carry a 45acp? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just when I thought I was Glocked up . I say why did I not the G36 to begin with in the Compact platform? Same ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IN compact Glocks why carry a 9mm or 40 when you can carry a 45acp?

IN compact Glocks why carry a 9mm or 40 when you can carry a 45acp?

Just when I thought I was Glocked up . I say why did I not the G36 to begin with in the Compact platform? Same size gun a tad thinner and way more powerfull than the 9mm and 40cal. The G36 just went to the front of class in protection dutys. The substandard 9mm went to range toys dutys and 40 sw went to the auction block to never come back. Why pay 45acp prices for the 9mm performance of the 40sw? Who says life nots good after 50?

2. Remove Ads

I am not a big fan of the 40 S&W but the Glock 23/27 are the most versitile handguns out there. With extra barrels you can shoot 9mm with 9mm magazines, 357 Sigs, and 40 S&Ws. That is a big plus to me. Regards, Richard

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Hmm some really faulty assumptions going on here ,
    Same size gun a tad thinner and way more powerfull than the 9mm and 40cal. The G36 just went to the front of class in protection dutys. The substandard 9mm
    I am glad you found a .45 you like , but that in no way makes 9 or 40 sub standard .. as stated before IMO there is not a warm bucket of spit difference in what you shoot them with , its where you shoot them that counts . I carry 9 or 45 depending on my mood and dress, I dont own a .40 but also dont feel that it or .357 sig lack , they just dont offer me anything more than i have allready .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I happen to own a 19 and 26. I feel I stop anything a .45 can. Shot placement is eveything. I orginally purchased 9 mils due to ammo costs. I am now looking at the Glock 23 to add to my collection. I have nothing against the .45. I just don't see the need for it in my situation.
    GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
    NRA Member

And the answer to your question is...

Because some people don't like .45!

The age old question 9mm vs. .40 vs. .45 is like the question chicken or beef in your super taco. It is all personal preference and caliber debates are getting to be .

It will all get the job done. Hell, a .22 can kill someone. Carry what you are comfortable with.

I always tell people anytime someone wants to come over my house and take my challenge I am up for it. The challenge is that I get to shoot you first and I will only use a .22. You can bring whatever you want and shoot me with it afterward. I still have not had anyone take me up on it.

Chances are that in life you will probably never need your gun, but if you do, you better be comfortable with shooting it. If it is .45 congrats you have a bigger bullet than a guy who is carrying a .40.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Answer to your question

Fowler asked:

In compact Glocks why carry a 9mm or 40 when you can carry a 45acp?
    In answer to your question, you might carry a .40 because it gives you the same stopping power as a .45, with more rounds in the magazine, at a lower cost for practice ammo.

You might carry a 9mm because it is nearly as good as the .40 or .45 at stopping someone, the practice ammo costs less, and you can have even more rounds in the magazine.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Doesn't .45 cost a lot more than .40 even just for range ammo? Greater cost might deter practice. Also, is the capacity of the compact GLOCK in .45 equal to that in the 9mm or .40? Some prefer to maximize the carrying capacity.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I have a G21 for .45. For a sub, I went with a G27 .40 over the G36 because of the higher magazine capacity (or maybe the G21 stretched my hand too much, so I can't grasp a single-stack correctly )

Is the capacity of the compact GLOCK in .45 equal to that in the 9mm or .40? No.
    G26:9mm capacity is 10 +2 (with mag extension) + 1
    G27:.40 capacity is 9 + 2 + 1
    G36:.45 capacity is 6 + 1
    Last edited by Anubis; November 16th, 2006 at 05:20 PM.

The major, undiscussed, revelation in many Departments is that the differences between the calibers are minimal, with good loads. I know, for awhile, Wichita PD went to the HK USP in .40S&W, because "someone" felt it was more powerful, more likely to be a fight stopper. The same "someone" mandated TMJ loads....... I left ICT, before getting to see any shootings with the TMJs, but it would not surprise me to 1)hear they had gone back to 9mm, or 2) hear they had gotten JHPs, and were running the same M&M stats.

I have recently bought a G30 and after testing it out on the range it will be my EDC. Don't get me wrong, I Love my G26, it is definitely a tack driver ( at least for me it is). Same thing goes for my G23, at 25yds. I can keyhole 50 rds. in a target on my bad day. But now that I discovered the G30, I am intrigued. I always envisioned the .45 ACP caliber in a 1911 style handgun and that style never interested (not saying anything about the 1911). With the G30 I get an .45 ACP with a total of 10+1 rounds in a combat proven pistol, and on top of all that it's a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by fowler View Post
    Just when I thought I was Glocked up . I say why did I not the G36 to begin with in the Compact platform? Same size gun a tad thinner and way more powerfull than the 9mm and 40cal. The G36 just went to the front of class in protection dutys. The substandard 9mm went to range toys dutys and 40 sw went to the auction block to never come back. Why pay 45acp prices for the 9mm performance of the 40sw? Who says life nots good after 50?
    Why carry that wimpy .45 when you can carry a 10mm...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I own Glocks in 9mm, .40s&w and .45 ACP. I like the capacity of the 9s and 40s but I like the raw power of my .45. When I shot the Federal Hydra-Shok 185gr +p rounds through my G36, I was impressed. It only has 6+1 but with the groups that I was shooting, that will be plenty. I also carry 2 spare mags in a fobus paddle mag holder.

You cannot go wrong with any Glock IMO, unless you get the .380. No offense to those that own one, I just feel that if you can have the same size gun in 9mm, why get a .380?
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    You might carry a 9mm because it is nearly as good as the .40 or .45 at stopping someone, the practice ammo costs less, and you can have even more rounds in the magazine.
    And for me at least, I can shoot 9x19 a lot better than I can shoot .45 ACP. My time back on target is much improved and I suffer less recoil anticipation.

Further, many guns are going to be smaller in 9mm/.40 and will fit the hand better for some people.

Yes thats why the FBI HRT,L.A. Swat-team,Marine special units ,Delta ,carry 7 shot-1911,s in 45acp. It gets -ur-done where the 9mm-40sw are not trusted by the elite units. 7 rds of 45acp is alot of killing that can be counted on. Use enough gun. A smaller gun may work most of the time,but when that big exception comes up your dead meat with the lesser rounds. You only live once.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    ou might carry a 9mm because it is nearly as good as the .40 or .45 at stopping someone
    I guess i did not get the memo , i carry a 9 as a rule , and it only holds 8 rounds , it will do the job . its not " nearly as good " It will work , as would a 38 special . I will do the job , the handgun i have is a tool not the means .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links