R1 Enhanced Question

This is a discussion on R1 Enhanced Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I was having an issue with the base of the dovetail on the FO sight scraping every IWB holster I tried. I have ...

Thread: R1 Enhanced Question

R1 Enhanced Question

Hey guys, I was having an issue with the base of the dovetail on the FO sight scraping every IWB holster I tried. I have now ordered a replacement sight but was curious if I went with the right height? Below is the picture of what's rubbing the kydex and you'll also see the link to what I ordered for a replacement @ .190 height.

r1enhanced_zpsf1c012e2.jpg

Kensight Front Sight Blade Trijicon Tritium insert - Night Sights and Contoured Base

2. Remove Ads

Well, if your replacement sight is a different height than the original, your shots are going to arrive at a different point of impact.

The cure is either removing material from the sight base or from the holster, or both. I'd carefully file the offending edges of the sight base to a smoother shape and use some cold blue to darken the white metal after.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Yea, I wanted to go that way but the gunsmith told me today that they would have to do some refinishing if I went that way because they couldn't successfully do it by drifting it out. The rear sight is adjustable so I'm hoping that I chose the right height where I can adjust it accordingly.

It depends on how much a change in height your new sight is from the OEM.

The sight radius of a full-size 1911 is about 6 inches. Just looking at the range of sight heights offered, I see they have various in 0.010" increments. The math is pretty easy; if you change the front sight height by 0.015" over a 6" radius, the POI will change by 1.5" at 25 yards.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links