Little brother (Shield 9mm) came home to live with me!

This is a discussion on Little brother (Shield 9mm) came home to live with me! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up my Shield from my FFL this week. Finally took a couple of pics after whipping up a holster for it. I need to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Picked up my Shield from my FFL this week. Finally took a couple of pics after whipping up a holster for it. I need to get to the range still (and won't carry it until I have a couple hundred rounds through it), but am excited to finally get my hands on one. I really like the M&P line. I will report back as soon as I can get to the range.
    Attached Images

Must be nice to be able to "whip up"
    a holster, congrats!

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by locotest View Post
    Must be nice to be able to "whip up"
    a holster, congrats!
    LOL, That's what I was thinking. Congrats on the Shield.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

By 'whip up', are you saying YOU made out? If so, nice work!
    With no can't, I'm guessing you carry that around 1:00?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I love my full sized M&P 9. I'm interested to hear how you think the Shield compares. From what I understand, the thumb safety is standard on all Shield models. What are your thoughts on that?

VIP Member
    Finally got to handle a shield today at the local gun show. There were about 4 different dealers that had them available, priced from 449. low end to 799. on the high side. All were identical, no night sights on the high end guns and caliber was identical (both 9mm and .40 available). Seemed like a nice little gun, if it what your after.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    By 'whip up', are you saying YOU made out? If so, nice work!
    With no can't, I'm guessing you carry that around 1:00?
    Yeah, I want to try an aiwb on this one. Not sure if I will like it or not, but because I can make another one pretty easily, I don't mind trying it out. It takes mr about 3 hours or so. Obviously, they aren't professional, but I don't sell them so I don't care. Lol

So, I finally got to the range with my new Shield and put through 100 flawless rounds! I am relieved. I was hoping to not have any of those initial FTE or stovepipe type issues. It was all cheap ammo (50 rounds of WWB and 50 Monarch). So far so good. I shot left for some reason, but I am sure its just because its a new gun. I look forward to shooting it a lot in the future. Shoots much better than my PF9. My hand was completely sore afterward!

You made that holster? I was about to ask where you got it from as it looks like it would be a nice AIWB rig. Impressive!

Of course this is just my opinion, but the Shield works out very well as an appendix carry gun. It's thinness really comes into play in that regard.

Getting back to the holster...the one you pictured looks like a good rig, but if you have other ideas for an AIWB holster, post a pic if you don't mind. The holster I'm using is....ok....but I'm looking for ideas on something more dedicated.

Enjoy your Shield...its a great gun.

VIP Member
    Oh, another so-called Shield sighting hmmmm? I've never actually seen one, or ever talked to any witnesses face to face who have. I believe the Shield sightings are an urban myth, or at least an internet rumor. I've been digging pretty deep and the Shield's existence seems to parallel very closely to the similar myth below:

Just kidding, of course. Congratulations on what I suspect is a great CCW. It is true though, I've never seen a Shield, and I have looked.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JT353 View Post
    You made that holster? I was about to ask where you got it from as it looks like it would be a nice AIWB rig. Impressive!

Of course this is just my opinion, but the Shield works out very well as an appendix carry gun. It's thinness really comes into play in that regard.

Getting back to the holster...the one you pictured looks like a good rig, but if you have other ideas for an AIWB holster, post a pic if you don't mind. The holster I'm using is....ok....but I'm looking for ideas on something more dedicated.

Enjoy your Shield...its a great gun.
    Thanks for the compliment on the holster. I'm glad it looks like and AIWB because that is what it is! lol I made this one to try out appendix carrying. I haven't carried in that position before. As I mentioned above, I just wanted to try it out. I am going to make an OWB, pancake style tomorrow night, probably. I will post a pic of that one when finished. I have some leather that has a brand on it. Kinda weird to think the leather from the cow I am using was branded 263. haha

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Oh, another so-called Shield sighting hmmmm? I've never actually seen one, or ever talked to any witnesses face to face who have. I believe the Shield sightings are an urban myth, or at least an internet rumor. I've been digging pretty deep and the Shield's existence seems to parallel very closely to the similar myth below:

Just kidding, of course. Congratulations on what I suspect is a great CCW. It is true though, I've never seen a Shield, and I have looked.
    Stores here have them. Go to the highest price store in your area, the one that really gouges you, and they will have one that's so expensive that no one will buy it.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Love my shield...
    Have had it for 8 months and about 1000 rounds with no issues.

We are starting to see them in nc. Friend just got one from ganger for 449

I paid $340 out the door at a law enforcement store but waited for 6 months.

Very accurate and easy to carry even in the pocket. Congrats

James - www.guardianconcealment.com

Wow, me like, I held one in mine hand along with the .40 and if I didn't have what I want or need I would have got one, or maybe later. Congrats!
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Spent a good amount of time at the range yesterday and now have 250 flawless rounds through it. I really like the much improved trigger on it compared to my FS M&P. although, I will say, that trigger had gotten considerably better over time. Anyway, I am starting to carry the Shield now. Think I might have a good, reliable gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links