Aftermarket Glock Magazines (ProMag, KCI, KHAN)?

This is a discussion on Aftermarket Glock Magazines (ProMag, KCI, KHAN)? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is the general consensus on the various aftermarket Glock magazines out there? I like to stick with OEM parts usually and always will for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Aftermarket Glock Magazines (ProMag, KCI, KHAN)?

What is the general consensus on the various aftermarket Glock magazines out there? I like to stick with OEM parts usually and always will for carry, but given the supply issues these days I'm open to using aftermarket mags for range use. I have heard mixed things about various ones out there but not much of an overall consensus on the best options.

KCI?

ProMag?

Khan?

Others?

i bought a few KCI from CDNN. Consistently failed to feed / jam. Since then I've stuck with Glock factory mags - no problems with them at all.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Before the meltdown I consistently found LEO trade in GLOCK mags at my LGS, picking through the bag I found many that were from the Clinton era magazine limit "LEO Only" marked mags that had never been used. I was buying them for $10 per mag. I would recommend just waiting for a little while and getting GLOCK mags when they become available.
    miller_man likes this.

If you have magazines now, I would wait for factory magazines. They are starting to become more readily available.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Factory mags are all I use.
    paullie likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Some things you don't skimp on. Use OEM mags only and have a little peace of mind it will work if the moment ever arrives.

CDNN has Glock OEM at 29.99 for many models. I have used the KCI 33 round in a side by side comparison with the Glock. The Glock is a better mag, however for the range, the KCI was fine. I would never carry anything but the Glock mags.

Like others have said, if you don't have an immediate need, I would wait for Glock mags. They're worth it.

I have KCI Glock 17 mags. I replaced the stock springs they came with with Wolff Springs. Haven't had a FTF with them at all & you still can come out cheaper than factory mags;( I bought ten of them for $100.00 from Military Gun Supply.) I'm not saying use them for carry mags, but would work well for range mags.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    My brother (the glock snob of the family) ordered those some of those Korean surplus mags from CDNN, he says they are flawless.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

VIP Member
    When it comes to non OEM magazines there are very limited makers I trust. For. my 1911 either Wilson or McCormick. For all other handguns Mec-Gar, of course Mec-Gar are OEM for many brands of guns.

As others have suggested, check your LGS where the police trade their weapons in for used magazines, or check the gun shows in your area, they normally have used ones as well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Glock mags are definitely back available if you just look around a little. Even slightly over priced, how can you skimp and get something that will "probably" work just fine? Not worth it, just stick with factory mags.

Just about a month ago, budsgunshop had used G23 mags, 3 for 79.99. Ordered em, they were in great shape and have worked flawlessly. In fact, might be going back to see if more are available still.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I use them for training/range mags and save the factory mags for carry.

FYI, the KCI/Khan mags have been very reliable for me. But, then again, what do I know? I shoot hundreds of rounds of steel case ammo without issue as well.

I guess I'm an internet anomaly?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    I use them for training/range mags and save the factory mags for carry.

FYI, the KCI/Khan mags have been very reliable for me. But, then again, what do I know? I shoot hundreds of rounds of steel case ammo without issue as well.

I guess I'm an internet anomaly?
    Not being sarcastic or anything, the off brands, are the pretty reliable or pretty much flawless? I have began to do more training (first IDPA yesterday, and finally will have a range that I can do REAL drills and practice on) so I have quickly found out that mags get dropped a good bit, I could see it being a good idea to use different mags for training and only certain ones for carry. But I would really want them to just work flawless, or else it wouldn't be worth it. In all reality, I'll just still buy more factory and have dedicated carry mags. But I can see your point.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

The off brand are not as reliable as factory. That's the whole idea behind using them for training, IMO.

I have never had a mag related malfunction with Glock factory. I occasionally have them with the aftermarket, but not really a whole lot. But often enough to throw a surprise in my training routine that I just don't get with factory mags unless I have someone set up the failure.

They have performed very well with FMJ, but no so much with HP rounds in my experience.

So, if you are doing IDPA to 'win', then use factory mags for the advantage and rock on. If you look at it as another training arena, then use the aftermarket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links