Is there a safer/more appropriate way to handle this?

This is a discussion on Is there a safer/more appropriate way to handle this? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only time I unload my primary carry gun, Springfield XD9 subcompact, is when I am going to shoot. I unload my carry ammo, load ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Is there a safer/more appropriate way to handle this?

The only time I unload my primary carry gun, Springfield XD9 subcompact, is when I am going to shoot. I unload my carry ammo, load range ammo, and after I clean my gun I reload with carry ammo. Yesterday I had it out shooting so after I cleaned it I reloaded it and racked a round into the chamber. I have developed a habit of occasionally running my hand over the "loaded chamber indicator" which is really a sticker is cocked indicator on the back of the slide, its just a little button that sticks up.

Sitting in the movie theater, immediately after cleaning and reloading, yesterday I ran my finger over the indicator, and it wasn't there. Ran my finger around a little bit more and realized that the slide had not moved back into position it was a couple of centimeter back. At which point I just pushed it forward and everything seemed fine. After the movie I went into a restroom stall to examine the weapon to see what was wrong. When I tried to pull the slide back to do a visual round inspection it would not budge. I dropped the mag and spent a minute trying to manipulate the slide but it would not budge. As my family was waiting for me I put the mag back in re-holstered and rejoined them. When we got into the restaurant I went back into the bathroom dropped the mag and continued to try and discreetly figure out what was wrong. I ended up using the floor to push the slide back and empty the chamber. At which point I had no further problems with the slide everything functioned normally. I took it out today and shot a couple rounds through it to double check and no issues.

I am wondering any ideas what was wrong, and what would have been the proper way to deal with that situation?

Sitting in a movie theater, I'm assuming you had your firearm holstered on your hip. If so, how did you run your finger over the loaded-chamber indicator? And, holstered, your gun's slide was almost 1" back?

What holster, carry mode (IWB, pocket, whatever)?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The XD9 has a little 'bump' pin that extrudes from the rear top-side of the slide when there is a round in the chamber
    (pictured unloaded):

I assume he could run his thumb or so and feel it while holstered IWB/OWB.

I personally wouldn't be messing around with a gun in a public place,if it's in battery with a live round even if the slide seems stuck it should go bang if you need it,an out of spec round can cause the slide to stick trying to pull back by hand, if there is something mechanically wrong do you really want to risk an ND in a public place.
    The pin sticking out of the back shows the striker is "cocked" and has nothing to do with a loaded chamber,the loaded chamber indicaror is above the breech face and sticks up when there is a case in the chamber

A SAFER way to handle it is wait til you get home
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I agree with dukalmighty. The "safer way to handle it" is to simply leave it holstered and untouched until you get home, or immediately take it to your car and store it in the gun safe for the rest of the evening.

As to what could be wrong - as ccw9mm noted "a couple of centimeters" out of battery is about an inch, so I'm thinking you meant to type "millimeters". If that's so, then my first guess might be an out of spec. cartridge not fully seated in the chamber. Not impossible, but I would think somewhat unusual for premium defensive ammo. Certainly possible though.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    An XD's slide will not move if the grip safety isn't depressed. Were you trying to manipulate the slide without fully depressing the grip safety? If the GS was depressed then something was locked up and/or not working properly, possibly the recoil spring/guide rod was blocking the slide from moving. You need to figure out if parts are worn, something was assembled incorrectly after a field strip, or it was operator error involving the grip safety.

Also you are using the incorrect term for the part you are talking about, the silver colored indicator on the back of the slide is the "Cocked Striker Indicator" and tells you the striker is back and ready to fire, the "Loaded Chamber Indicator" is the metal lever on the rear/top of the ejection port, that indicates a round is chambered. Never trust a Loaded Chamber Indicator as a means of identifying the weapon is unloaded, only a visual and tactile inspection of the chamber is proof.

Distinguished Member
    Sounds like when you loaded it, you somehow eased the slide back into battery. Another good reason for the recommended slingshot method. Also this is why you should do a press check, and a quick visual check after to make sure everything is good to go.

Obviously you had some concerns once you realized something wasn't right, and I probably would have went to the bathroom to do a simple inspection. But I think that's where it would of ended for me - I'm NOT gonna be working on a gun in a public bathroom - just WAY to much of a setup for a whole lot of things to go terribly wrong. It would have sucked, and I would have been bothered about it the whole time, but that's one where you just have to wait until you get home to deal with.
    msgt/ret, ccw9mm and Snub44 like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    The theater and a restaurant are not the places you want to be clearing malfunctions. It's a recipe for disaster IMO. Then I also don't mess with my gun at all once it is in the holster, you should check it over when you load it, then leave it alone.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

All the above info is the correct way. Do not mess with your firearm in a public place.
    ChadliusNH likes this.

VIP Member
    I always do a complete function test, immediately after re-assembly.
    QKShooter, atctimmy and Snub44 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    An XD's slide will not move if the grip safety isn't depressed. Were you trying to manipulate the slide without fully depressing the grip safety? If the GS was depressed then something was locked up and/or not working properly, possibly the recoil spring/guide rod was blocking the slide from moving. You need to figure out if parts are worn, something was assembled incorrectly after a field strip, or it was operator error involving the grip safety.

Also you are using the incorrect term for the part you are talking about, the silver colored indicator on the back of the slide is the "Cocked Striker Indicator" and tells you the striker is back and ready to fire, the "Loaded Chamber Indicator" is the metal lever on the rear/top of the ejection port, that indicates a round is chambered. Never trust a Loaded Chamber Indicator as a means of identifying the weapon is unloaded, only a visual and tactile inspection of the chamber is proof.
    Excellent advice here!
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member
    What he said.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    The XD9 has a little 'bump' pin that extrudes from the rear top-side of the slide when there is a round in the chamber
    (pictured unloaded):

I assume he could run his thumb or so and feel it while holstered IWB/OWB.
    Yes, I carry IWB and can run my thumb over it while holstered through my shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post

I had the thumb safety depressed and the slide would not budge. I was actually attempting a visual inspection which is how I figured out the slide wouldn't budge. I took it out yesterday and the weapon cycled perfectly no issues. I took it apart and cleaned it again and reassembled still with no issues. Probably should have just left it alone, but I hate not having a functioning weapon especially when I am out with my whole family. I should have done a better job checking it before I took it out for the evening.

...think BUG...excellent example of why one is necessary...
    ChadliusNH likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links