On thick guns and small hands

On thick guns and small hands

This is a discussion on On thick guns and small hands within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I got a babysitter yesterday, and we headed off to lunch and then to the range. My wife wanted to stay proficient ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: On thick guns and small hands

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array 10thmtn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,382

    Cool On thick guns and small hands

    My wife and I got a babysitter yesterday, and we headed off to lunch and then to the range. My wife wanted to stay proficient with her EDC Ruger LCP, but she also wanted to try my Glock 30.

    Now, my wife is not quite 5' 2" tall, and has small hands. I warned her that the G30 might be too thick for her. She tried it unloaded at first, to confirm she could reach the trigger and handle the pistol. Loaded it up - and she proceeded to blast away at the bulls eye, 7 yards away!

    She is quite good with my G19 and G26, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how well she handled the .45 G30. However, when I asked her if she wanted 10 rounds of .45 or 16 rounds of 9mm in the Gunvault next to the bed, she immediately said "stay with more 9mm."

    Now, we frequently read men on these boards complaining how the Glock's grip is too thick - and the G30 is even thicker. There is a whole cottage industry devoted to melting, grinding, cutting and otherwise trimming down (some would say mangling) Glock grips to make them thinner. This got me to thinking that the real issue is not that the grip is "too thick," but that it simply feels "different." And for those not willing to get used to it, "different" equals "bad."

    My wife has no preconceived notion of what "good" is, and thus just grabbed hold of the thing and shot the snot out of it.

    So...if the so-called thick grip has been holding you back, maybe just give it a chance to start feeling normal to you. I can pretty much guarantee that you don't have hands smaller than my wife does!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers


  2. #2
    Member
    Array GeorgiaCarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    223
    My wife carries a G30. Her hands are small too, (smaller than mine) but her fingers are longer. That lets her reach the trigger a little easier than me. And yes, she is a better shot with the G30 than I am.

    GeorgiaCarrry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array TxTchRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lubbock
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    My wife and I got a babysitter yesterday, and we headed off to lunch and then to the range. My wife wanted to stay proficient with her EDC Ruger LCP, but she also wanted to try my Glock 30.

    Now, my wife is not quite 5' 2" tall, and has small hands. I warned her that the G30 might be too thick for her. She tried it unloaded at first, to confirm she could reach the trigger and handle the pistol. Loaded it up - and she proceeded to blast away at the bulls eye, 7 yards away!

    She is quite good with my G19 and G26, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how well she handled the .45 G30. However, when I asked her if she wanted 10 rounds of .45 or 16 rounds of 9mm in the Gunvault next to the bed, she immediately said "stay with more 9mm."

    Now, we frequently read men on these boards complaining how the Glock's grip is too thick - and the G30 is even thicker. There is a whole cottage industry devoted to melting, grinding, cutting and otherwise trimming down (some would say mangling) Glock grips to make them thinner. This got me to thinking that the real issue is not that the grip is "too thick," but that it simply feels "different." And for those not willing to get used to it, "different" equals "bad."

    My wife has no preconceived notion of what "good" is, and thus just grabbed hold of the thing and shot the snot out of it.

    So...if the so-called thick grip has been holding you back, maybe just give it a chance to start feeling normal to you. I can pretty much guarantee that you don't have hands smaller than my wife does!
    With as many quality firearms are on the market, there's not really any reason for me to put up with ergonomics I don't find pleasing. That's not to say that I won't own a Glock at some point just because I like to spend money on guns, but I don't feel much of a need to own one right now and a large factor in that is that they don't feel good to me. I shoot them fine when I shoot them, they just don't feel good.

  4. #4
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,088
    There are outliers when it comes to the combination over very small hands and rather large grips. I have a Sig P229 Extreme, and the length of pull makes the gun ergonomically ill-suited for person I know that is very petite.

    But that is a rather unusual combination. I suppose one can get used to any grip with practice, so I generally agree with you.

    I've never had much sympathy for one blaming poor shooting on the weapon's ergonomics.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

  5. #5
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,088
    Quote Originally Posted by TxTchRR View Post
    With as many quality firearms are on the market, there's not really any reason for me to put up with ergonomics I don't find pleasing. That's not to say that I won't own a Glock at some point just because I like to spend money on guns, but I don't feel much of a need to own one right now and a large factor in that is that they don't feel good to me. I shoot them fine when I shoot them, they just don't feel good.
    That's the reason I've not gotten into Glocks either. I've shot them, can shoot them reasonably well, and from what I have read my impression is they are fine weapons. But every time I hold one I feel like I'm holding an old Blackberry with a square slide on top. It's just a subjective thing.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

  6. #6
    Member Array GunTrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    175
    I guess I always took a liking to the fat grip on Glocks, and when I got my G30 SF about 5 months ago, I really liked it. It seems like narrow should be better, but the one gun I own that I really don't like is my Bodyguard 380.
    FlaRon likes this.

  7. #7
    Member Array JT353's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    That's the reason I've not gotten into Glocks either. I've shot them, can shoot them reasonably well, and from what I have read my impression is they are fine weapons. But every time I hold one I feel like I'm holding an old Blackberry with a square slide on top. It's just a subjective thing.
    I feel the same way about the Gen 3's and prior, but the Gen 4 23 I just got today feels better in my hand. I tried the different back straps to see how they feel and NO...not for me. The stock grip fits me fine enough to where I can say that I like this gun. It still feels like a Glock...just not like a Block! LOL....at least thats my opinion.

  8. #8
    Member Array CurlyQHoward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    28
    "It's just a subjective thing." Exactly
    ironmike86 likes this.

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,387
    She might well find the CZ 75 series, or the Browning Hi-Power, to be just about right (for fat-gripped guns). Then again, if she's blasting the "snot" out of the "big" Glocks, you might be all set. There are worse things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  10. #10
    Member Array Lees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    85
    I'm a woman, and I have an easier time with a fatter grip. As long as my finger is in a good spot for the trigger, it's good. I have a much harder time with a thin grip.

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Lees View Post
    I'm a woman, and I have an easier time with a fatter grip. As long as my finger is in a good spot for the trigger, it's good. I have a much harder time with a thin grip.
    Me, as well. Relatively small hands, but the CZ P-01 with 18-LPI checkered wood grip panels makes for a very nice package in the hand. Go figure, as it's one of the largest things out there, grip-wise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  12. #12
    Member Array jack76590's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by Lees View Post
    I'm a woman, and I have an easier time with a fatter grip. As long as my finger is in a good spot for the trigger, it's good. I have a much harder time with a thin grip.
    Finger length is as important, if not more important, than hand size in my opinion. I am guy that wears a large or Xlarge glove size, but have short fingers. If I got my hand squarely behind the G30, as you should, I would often be pushing the drop safety the my left (I am right handed). Since I was not fully depressing the drop safety the trigger would not snap until I re positioned my hand. Sold the G30.

  13. #13
    Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,329
    The new FNs seem to have a following based on the small grip and I was surprised how well some students took to the P30. Again its not what I shoot, but what fits their hands and they shoot well enough to be comfortable!

    Now I personally don't shoot a Glock because of the grip cant since breaking my wrist and having pins in they are uncomfortable for me to shoot.


    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

    If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

  14. #14
    Distinguished Member
    Array Old_Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,609
    I have wide hands with short fingers. Sure I can grip any gun but can your wife fight with that gun? Has she gone through a tactical training course where she had to run and gun with sweaty hands. All too often I see people at the gun range fire a shot, re-adjust their grip and then fire again. A good grip should mitigate recoil and not involve you changing it after each shot. It also should be firm enough to prevent or at least slow down someone trying to grab the gun out of your hand. Is your grip such that the gun is in the web of your hand or do you have to twist your hand around it to reach the trigger? There is a lot to be said for not using a gun with a grip that feels different. In many self defense situations you will be shooting one handed while point shooting. Therefore it is very important that your gun point naturally for you. If it does not do that then I will not carry it and have sold off all guns that fail that test having shot my handgun in anger.

    I carry guns where I can only get one finger and a half on my grip because they are that small. Does that mean the grip is OK? The real issue is trigger reach. You should be able to place the pad of your trigger finger flat against the trigger when gripping the gun. If you can do that, then you are OK. For me, some guns I cannot do that. I am more comfortable with single stacks for better trigger control. If you and your wife can grip a Glock comfortably then your hands are not small. Just use common sense. If the Glock grip was OK as you say for small hands they would not have redesigned their guns to accept different back straps and a whole industry of guns with adjustable grips would not have sprung up. I think you are just defending your Glocks because they are soulless plastic guns and you need a reason to justify buying them. :) Just kidding or course. I recommend Glocks to my students who do not have small hands along with other suitable guns. :)
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array Chuck808's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,007
    I havent been shooting too long (maybe just under a year), but I love Glock grips. I have big hands, and they all fit my hand great. Everything from the baby Glocks to the duty-size pistols are great. I hated the G26/27 at first, but it grew on me. I just traded my 27 away the other day for a 22, but I love that small grip for CC. Get the better part of two fingers on the grip, and the butt of the gun goes right into the meat of your thumb socket... Then the full size pistols? I feel like it was molded specifically from my hand.

    Another gun grip that was incredibly comfortable was the Baby Desert Eagle. I have never shot one, but the one I held at a LGS felt great. Super natural and fit the curves of my hand perfectly.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

are my hands too small for guns
,
best guns for small hands
,

best range gun for small hands

,
carry pistol with thick handle
,
glock 21 too thick
,

glock 30 small hands

,
glock 45 handle to thick
,
glock hand grip too thick
,
glock too thick for smaller hands
,
small hands suck for guns
,
why does glock have a fat grip
,
why wont glock make a smaller grip
Click on a term to search for related topics.