Hi Point .45 As Dedicated Car Gun (DCG)? Yes, I Am Serious...

This is a discussion on Hi Point .45 As Dedicated Car Gun (DCG)? Yes, I Am Serious... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No, this is not a troll...I have been thinking lately about the aspects/implications of having a dedicated car gun (DCG) for defensive use. Right now, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Hi Point .45 As Dedicated Car Gun (DCG)? Yes, I Am Serious...

Hi Point .45 As Dedicated Car Gun (DCG)? Yes, I Am Serious...

No, this is not a troll...I have been thinking lately about the aspects/implications of having a dedicated car gun (DCG) for defensive use. Right now, I sometimes leave my G26 in the center console overnight (I have a garage for the building I live in), I don't usually worry much but the risk of theft is constant. I had my car broken into once (Chevy Tahoe) about 2 years ago, I had things like a radar detector stolen. My neighborhood is a desirable target for property crime since there are a lot of nice cars (mostly leased!) around and people tend to be clueless about security. I understand the risk of possibly having a gun stolen out of my car, but think the risk is tolerable in exchange for always having at least one gun available where ever I drive. I want to mitigate the risk of potential loss however.

Thinking of guns that would be am inexpensive DCG, and I mean $300 or less, size really isn't that much of an issue since it won't be carried on my person. Firepower is critical, but I'm looking purely at handguns and possibly pistol caliber carbines, and SBR is the best choice but isn't practical given the cost and time. In looking at possible options, I'm giving serious consideration to a .45 Hi Point either pistol or the 995 carbine. Both seem to fit what I'm looking for, I'm getting into .45 anyway in general also. The gun needs to fit into a 12"x12" bag that I can keep in the back seat or console.

I know many will jump on the Hi Point bashing train, but let's save that, I've heard it all so I know what the comments are. Does this seem like a sensible DCG? Is my whole concept sound? Any other suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think the concept of a dedicated car gun is foolish. Anything past that is moot.

But to give you an answer, if you HAD to keep a gun in your car then a cheap gun is a good idea. The reality of the situation though is that sooner or later you will be donating your gun to a criminal enterprise.
    WHEC724, NH_Esau, Taurahe and 6 others like this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

The thought of what happens with gun after it is stolen is always more of a concern for me than the value of my loss.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Myself I do not care for a dedicated car gun since unless I am going on base I am usually armed any way. Before you decide on a car gun the first choice would be a secure way of storing it.

Here is what I use when I do have to disarm and it will fit a Gov Model 1911. GunVault NV300 NanoVault with Combination Lock - Amazon.com
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Translation: Is a Hi Point a good gun to give to a criminal?

I would suggest either a car safe (there are some good ones for the Tahoe or you could get one fabricated locally) or make a better effort to keep your carry gun with you back and forth during your day.

I won't bash the Hi Point carbines. I found them to be pretty serviceable and easy to shoot. We had several as rentals when I worked at a range. The finish didn't seem to hold up well to cleaning but mechanically they were actually a good value.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    I agree with the sentiment that it really doesn't matter what brand of gun that you make available to criminals.

The way you keep a gun on you wherever you drive, is to have it in a good holster on you. My gun at the moment is an office gun. When I go to the bathroom, it's a bathroom gun. When I get in my car, it's a car gun.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Senseable DCG makes no sense to me.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Translation: Is a Hi Point a good gun to give to a criminal?
    ^^^^^ This.

And This VVVVV

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724
    I agree with the sentiment that it really doesn't matter what brand of gun that you make available to criminals.

The way you keep a gun on you wherever you drive, is to have it in a good holster on you. My gun at the moment is an office gun. When I go to the bathroom, it's a bathroom gun. When I get in my car, it's a car gun.
    Taurahe likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Or, Is a Hi Point what you want to depend upon if needed?
    ironmike86 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

never leave your gun in you vehicle unattended. If you read on the news that some kid was shot and killed with the Hi-Point stolen from your vehicle, the value
    of the gun stolen won't really mean much, now will it? After all, its not the value of the gun, but the bullet coming out of the end that matters.

...the kid will be just as dead as if he had been shot with a Wilson Combat Custom 1911.
    NH_Esau and msgt/ret like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Administrator
    All of the above comments aside I would add that your life is just as valuable to you when you are in your vehicle as when you are in your residence or out on the street so you should defend your life with the most familiar, reliable, and effective firearm that you own and that would probably not be a new Hi-Point.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I know it's not necessarily the intent of your thread, but I'm curious about the reasoning behind keeping a gun in the car. What purpose in protecting you do you foresee such a "car gun" serving? If you don't mind sharing.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Instead of buying a cheap, unreliable gun for EDC, why not spend $60-100 for a quick-access single-gun safe for the car? Lock your G26 in that, and take it out when you carry it. Then you don't have to worry about the car being vandalized, either.

https://sportsmanmall.com/index.php?...5#.UZpprMpDmJs

(this below is what I have)
    Stack-On Portable Case w/Electronic Lock PC-650
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

OK
    The high point bashing is a little overboard. I dont own a high point dont want a high point but I have handled them and a friend of mine has one. He said its a good gun, just heavy and bulky. Has anyone watched the you tube video of the guys who had to drive a bolt into it to blow it up? Its quite interesting and does make a good case for high point. They ran over it with a truck 3x, dunked it in a bucket of mud, threw it at the target with steel backer, ran 30% and 50% over max loads, drove a rifle case into the barrel and still didnt blow it up. There was only one failure to feed. If you want a gun thats gonna go bang ewery time for 200 bux a high point is the gun for you.
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds dearly the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Why not just get a remora for cross draw while your in the car, cheap an works great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links