The Best Carry Gun

This is a discussion on The Best Carry Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems like forever I carried my duty gun off duty, It was either a S&W K or L frame 357 Magnum or later on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: The Best Carry Gun

The Best Carry Gun

It seems like forever I carried my duty gun off duty, It was either a S&W K or L frame 357 Magnum or later on an H&K USP/C. As a young Army MP I carried a 1911 and owned Para's, Colt's, Kimber's eve used a Les Baer for several years. It was only because policy dictated what I carried on and off duty. Throughout my life I have been a shooter and the handguns I always shot best were K Frame Smiths and 1911's.

As I neared retirement I became enamored with the 4th Generation of Perfection err Glock's and have been using them for a couple of years. I shoot Glocks very well and under most circumstances as well as anything else, and we must admit they do work. Recently 1/2 way through an IDPA match I lost my front sight , guess what? I proceeded to miss half the targets in the match. Of course they were steel as we were still shooting in a foot of snow.

Well I got out some gun's, borrowed a couple did some shooting and came to a conclusion. I shoot K frames and 1911's best, I don't have to think about it, just shoot.

I really wanted an "E" Series S&W 1911 Scandium Commander. So I did some wheeling and dealing and traded one of my guns for this pristine S&W SC1911 commander. I comes with 3 Novak mags and Heinie night sights. I figured if I was getting a 1911 it just HAD to be a .45 ACP.DSC00347.jpgDSC00348.jpg
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    don't look like you are still looking nice piece....
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Nice one

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Good looking gun. Nice. And agreed that 1911 should be 45 ACP
    USM1976 likes this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

I like that, nice looking gun!!!
    Gun control, the ability to hit your target

I have recently purchased an e-series S&W 1911. No frills, not top o' the line. Paid $800.00 NIB. Whoo let me tell ya. That thing is dead nuts on every time I pull the trigger.
    Attached Images
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Well just lay it on the carpet and take a couple of photos.

They turned out great and the new pistole looks "the business!" Yea .45 ACP!

It is assumed that you've already thoroughly "test-driven" it. How does it shoot? Bet it felt quite natural in the hand. I've only ever shot a Colt Lightweight Commander on a single occasion and don't remember much about it. Didn't seem that much different to a full-sized steel model actually. Is that what you find with the Smith & Wesson SC1911 Commander?

Don't depend on the 1911's front sight to stay put though. Some years back my youngest son and I went shooting at the club range one afternoon. He fired the last rounds of the day just before dark and then put the old Colt in a zipper pouch. When we got home he took it back out to admire it some more but soon remarked that the front sight was missing.

Sure enough, it was.

He'd burned off the last 7 rounds as daylight was fading. Guess the sight went AWOL then and its absence wasn't noticed by either of us. Sight has since been replaced and affixed more securely. The gun was 89 years old when it occurred. Most likely Colt wouldn't have fixed it under warranty, huh?
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedinPA View Post
    I have recently purchased an e-series S&W 1911. No frills, not top o' the line. Paid $800.00 NIB. Whoo let me tell ya. That thing is dead nuts on every time I pull the trigger.

I love no-frills. Do like front sights though.
    Dandyone likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Nice Smyth, Bob.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by squid86 View Post
    Good looking gun. Nice. And agreed that 1911 should be 45 ACP
    1911's not in .45 ACP is sacrilege!

40bob really nice gun!!
    USM1976 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Well just lay it on the carpet and take a couple of photos.

They turned out great and the new pistole looks "the business!" Yea .45 ACP!

It is assumed that you've already thoroughly "test-driven" it. How does it shoot? Bet it felt quite natural in the hand. I've only ever shot a Colt Lightweight Commander on a single occasion and don't remember much about it. Didn't seem that much different to a full-sized steel model actually. Is that what you find with the Smith & Wesson SC1911 Commander?

Don't depend on the 1911's front sight to stay put though. Some years back my youngest son and I went shooting at the club range one afternoon. He fired the last rounds of the day just before dark and then put the old Colt in a zipper pouch. When we got home he took it back out to admire it some more but soon remarked that the front sight was missing.

Sure enough, it was.

He'd burned off the last 7 rounds as daylight was fading. Guess the sight went AWOL then and its absence wasn't noticed by either of us. Sight has since been replaced and affixed more securely. The gun was 89 years old when it occurred. Most likely Colt wouldn't have fixed it under warranty, huh?
    Actually, we have got 5" of rain in the last 3 days and the road to the range is underwater. I had a Light weight Kimber pro so this should about the same feel.

This front sight is dovetailed. In The army they taught us to not try and find the little sights, just use the shape of the slide.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

I had a front sight on my issued Glock come off during a quarterly qualification. I continued to use it during the course , even though I could have used another. My thinking was, in a real gun fight, I would have had to dance with the lady I brought with me. I still ended up with an 86% score.

Yes the 1911 and revolvers are a joy to shoot.

But what I like about the Glock, is, it's a Glock! Who cares if they get dinged or something.?

For instance, today, I labored outside all day building my wife her flower garden. I carried the old Gen 2 G19 AIWB , while sweating, carry mulch, and digging. An hour ago, I came in, took the holster with the gun out, and the leather was soaked, and the gun was wet with sweat, especially the upper slide that rode against my bare skin.
    I didn't either bother to wipe it off, because I know it will be ok.

And tomorrow, it will be ready for more of the same.

Congrats on the new gun. They are all invaluable in their own way.
    OD*, Snub44, 40Bob and 1 others like this.

Nice piece. But the best carry gun is the one you can hit your target with. And fill the bg with a mag full of chosen caliber of lead pills. And make him or her rethink their chosen line of work. Stay safe and carry on.

That is a sweet 1911. Always liked those smiths, very stylish
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Looks awesome man.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links