Glock - ejecting straight back

This is a discussion on Glock - ejecting straight back within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally purchased the Glock 19 gen 4. Went to the range and put 50 rounds of Blazer and 50 rounds of Remington UMC through it. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Glock - ejecting straight back

Glock - ejecting straight back

Finally purchased the Glock 19 gen 4. Went to the range and put 50 rounds of Blazer and 50 rounds of Remington UMC through it. As expected, everything fed, fired, and performed as it should. The only thing I noticed was the shells occasionally ejected almost straight back at me. Roughly 3 or so per magazine. I've owned a G22 gen 3 for quite some time and never had this issue. Just curious if anyone has experienced this with the 19 gen 4's, or any model for that matter.

2. Remove Ads

I'm going to assume my brand new 26gen4 was made more or less when your 19 was, I have taken mine to the range once and like you had no failures. I did have some weird ejection at times, except mine was almost straight forward, which is really weird but that's what it was doing. Every 50 or so casings, one would fly forward to roughly 1:00 instead of the usual 4:00. I was using 115 and 124gr Federal FMJ, what ammo were you using?

To the more Glock informed: are many of the action parts the same in different models of the same caliber?

I used Remington UMC 115 FMJ. Not sure exactly what the Blazer was. Thinking it was 115 as well.

It happens, ive seen this in all manner of mag fed pistols from FNH to Beretta. Gunsmiths have said that it is usually due to combining of "unworked" or new parts and variances in how fast the slide is moving back. And in all the cases that ive seen the problem corrects itself after 200-300 rds as the recoil spring "settles" and the extractor wears a lil bit.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

If you look on glock talk or m4carbine.net you'll find that this has been a common problem for a couple of years now. People have even taken parts from pistols that work and put them in the new slide and still have problems. The problems show up no matter what ammo you use.

Distinguished Member
    Just bought a new gen 4 19, the guy I bought it from said it had all three of the "upgrades" done to it. The ejector had been replaced - to deal with the brass to the face issue, the guide rod and spring were replaced - not sure what the issue was with that one, and the loaded chamber indicator was replaced - he said the finish on it wasn't right?? He didn't know why, but said that's what they did. I didn't get into details with him but from what I gathered it sounded like he just took it to a glock armorer and had the upgrades done. He had never even shot the gun, just had the work done. I would contact glock and see what they say to do. I did know about the ejector going bad (sending brass to the face) on the gen 4s but not the other two issues.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I had a late generation 3 Glock model 26 that would throw random brass back at my head, unless I used very specific ammo; I got tired of this and sold it.
    I did try a different extractor and ejector and they either did nothing or only made it worse.
    The 9mm pistols seem to be most likely to throw brass at your head, from what I've seen.
    First thing I would try is some hotter ammo.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Brass bouncin off my noggin never bothered me. All my guns do that occasionally.
    Wreckr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Brass bouncin off my noggin never bothered me. All my guns do that occasionally.
    That's just not acceptable to me.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

My 3rd gen 19 rarely does this (eject brass towards operator, it ALWAYS ejects brass) so I don't find it an issue. I do wear shooting glasses and usually a cap when shooting at the range and in competition. I realize when the SHTF we are not likely to have time to adorn our protective shooting gear but maybe we're lucky enough to be wearing sunglasses or for those that are visually challenged, eyeglasses. Hopefully we'll be moving while shooting and not focused on ejection but on the threat. Good opportunity for someone to design a brass-catching hat.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I forget where I saw it, but somewhere there was a post on melting a little extra plastic and dribbling it inside of the Glock to fix this problem. I'll see if I can find it again.

I've seen that before too with UMC, some fly up/back and konk me in the head.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    If one of those hot shells pokes you in your eye I think you might have some trouble hitting a target after that. Matter of fact I know you will.

I wish I had that problem. On the last rapid fire test I took a lady next to me had on a low cut blouse and was also qualifying. Two rounds went down her blouse and she did the little dance and when she go them out she yelled at me as if it was my fault. I tried to answer in between laughing it didn't go over well with her.

Seriously all I want my extractor to do is remove the round where it puts it is ok with me.

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    Finally purchased the Glock 19 gen 4. Went to the range and put 50 rounds of Blazer and 50 rounds of Remington UMC through it. As expected, everything fed, fired, and performed as it should. The only thing I noticed was the shells occasionally ejected almost straight back at me. Roughly 3 or so per magazine. I've owned a G22 gen 3 for quite some time and never had this issue. Just curious if anyone has experienced this with the 19 gen 4's, or any model for that matter.
    there's alot of info on this problem all over the internet,seems the problem started with late model gen3's and gen4's..many have replaced the recoil spring,ejecter,extractor,tried hotter ammo,sent it back to Glock,still comes back with the same problem..regardless what others tell you,the erratic ejection issue now common with Glocks is not normal or acceptable IMO..none of my S&W's,Ruger's or Kahr's do this..i'd call Glock and explain the problem,maybe they have a solution at this time? good luck!
    Last edited by crue2009; May 21st, 2013 at 01:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links