BUG: Only One, Which One. S&W 642 VS 640.

This is a discussion on BUG: Only One, Which One. S&W 642 VS 640. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a BUG and can't decide between the S&W 640 or 642. Simple answere is to get both but my CCW permit only ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: BUG: Only One, Which One. S&W 642 VS 640.

BUG: Only One, Which One. S&W 642 VS 640.

I'm looking for a BUG and can't decide between the S&W 640 or 642. Simple answere is to get both but my CCW permit only allows 4 guns. I currently rotate 2 M&P 9C and 2 Kimber CDP's, Custom bobtailed and compact. I would like to retire one of the M&P9's to add a snub nosed revolver as a BUG.

Looking for experiance from those that have carried. I'll share my thoughts, please add yours. Of the two I have only shot the Model 60. It was pleasant enough even with .357's. I have no experiance with the lightweight snubs although my brother has the bodyguard .38 so I can try that out. I know they are a handful and not rangeguns as they leave your hands feeling like hamburger after a box of ammo.

Pros of the 642 are it's ultimate carryability in most any situation. I'm not a fan of pocket carry but if the situation dictated it the option would be nice. The 640 is a bit heavy for pocket carry.

Pros of the 640 are it's weight. Easier to manage recoil and extended range sessions are more likely. I think I would carry IWB/OWB the vast majority of the time so weight when holstered wouldn't be much of an difference.

If you have both but could only carry one which one would it be?

2. Remove Ads

I carry the 442 as a BUG and with the weather warming up quite often it becomes my primary carry. Weight is not a concern for BUG IMO. If it is a BUG then it is a second last ditch effort, as your primary carry was the first and your adrenaline will be pumping so hard at that point recoil will not be an issue.

I prefer not to pocket carry if possible as well, however the J frame makes it so easy that it is hard not to at times. I use an Uncle Mikes #3 (I believe) pocket holster. The other thing that I love about the 442 is that I can carry it with ANY outfit. If I am running down to get ice cream real w\quick I throw it in a cheap Blackhawk IWB nylon holster and my gym shorts and under garments support it just fine. If I am wearing more significant clothes it still works IWB or can be pocket carried. I DJ and pocket carry it every event in slacks and no one has ever noticed. I am not familiar with the 640, but hopefully this gives you a comparison point.

Good luck!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Thanks BigJohn. I'm kinda leaning toward the 642 as carryability is the trump card when talking about a BUG. I agree with your sentiments about the reality of needing a BUG. If the situation has got bad enough for a BUG you are likely useing it as a belly gun shooting with BG's breath down your neck.

The 640 is a model 60 with the shrouded hammer like the 642.

I have a Model 642 but would suggest the Model 640 as the better choice. Yeah, it's because of it's weight.
    pistola likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

While working as a LEO, my BUG was some sort of .38 snubby. I carried a 640, 642, 38 (original bodyguard), and even a 342ti. Between the two that you are looking at, the 640 & 642, I would lean towards the 642 for a BUG role. The lighter weight makes it more "versatile" for that role. (In my opinion)

Good luck with your choice.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

I carry a SP101 and a LCR357 every day. I have carried the 442 also. If I had to pick only one it would have to be the light weight. In your case the 642. The light weight will give you more carry options. If you want to shoot it for extended periods you can ware a glove or change grips.

Sounded like you liked the Mod 60. Is it not in the mix due to the exposed hammer?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Sounded like you liked the Mod 60. Is it not in the mix due to the exposed hammer?
    Yes, the model 60 is out due to the exposed hammer. I see no need for single action in a dedicated bug. The shrouded hammer is a benifit for pocket carry and CCW in general.

4 guns? dam son you are ready arnt you? but anyways id say go for the 642 if your already packing 3 other guns.

I carry the mod 60 or sp 101 2.4 everyday but for fast trips I like the 642 in my pocket (if I can sneak it away from the wife)

image.jpg

We have two Centennials, a 640 and a 460. Yes, 460, it was a limited run from the S&W Performance Center. It's basically a 442 but supposed to have a black stainless cylinder and barrel, as well as being Magna ported. It also came with nice small wood Eagle Grips.

Putting the same Hogue Monogrip on the stainless gun and the black Airweight, we found that even with the porting the Airweight had more recoil. I think the weight difference is small, 19 oz vs 14 or some such. My wife is a fair sized gal who likes the holster from naturallyconcealed.com if she has her choice. She decided to just carry the stainless gun. It's more durable, less worries over +P ammo, etc.

My initial thought was practice with the 640 and carry the light one. But both really are pretty light. And a good 640 is pretty tough. Carrying the stainless gun makes sense.

As a dedicated BUG I would go the 642, as primary the 640. You could just get both, its only money.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Ive owned both. I like shooting and am far more accurate with my 60 (in DA) than I was with my 642. I still carry my 60 often

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If it is a bug get the 642 with the shrouded hammer. I had an exposed hammer J-Frame and despite being used to them over 4 decades, there were times that it would snag when carried certain ways. I sold the exposed hammer one (360PD) and got the 340PD instead and it is much better. It fits nicely into my pocket, ccw vests (yes I wear them and have worn them for more years than I can remember and never got shot once) and various off body bags.

However, I do not think civilians need backup gun most times. The overwhelming majority of us never even need our primary carry gun. Plain fact but if you want to carry two guns and can, kudos to you.
    The Old Gunhand - gun news all in one place.

Somehow I ended up with only Sigs, HKs and S&W J-frames.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links