G36 owners, has this happened to you?

This is a discussion on G36 owners, has this happened to you? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love my G36 it is a great little .45. I brought it to the range a couple of times with no problems. I broke ...

Thread: G36 owners, has this happened to you?

I love my G36 it is a great little .45. I brought it to the range a couple of times with no problems. I broke it down the other day and cleaned it. When I put it back together, I racked the slide several times to get the oil into the proper places on the barrel and between the slide and the frame. After about the sixth racking I noticed that the slide slid forward of the barrel about 1/8" and then stopped. It would not come off all the way.

So I took it apart again, put it back together and after about the sixth or seventh racking, same thing. A friend of mine said he had the same issue. But this did not affect the performance of the gun.

I took it to the armorer at my job and he called Glock. They suggested replacing the spring. So I'm waiting for the part to come to my job.

Like I said this did not hamper the performance, but I thought that it was odd.

So, to all of you G36 owners, empty your weapon and rack the slide hard several times and see if this happens. It never did it with any of my Glocks, only the G36.

Thanks.
    Last edited by NY27; November 17th, 2006 at 02:18 AM. Reason: spelling
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Are you saying the slide moved forward off its normal position on the frame without you using the takedown latch?

Or do you mean you did use the latch to remove the slide, but couldn't get it off all the way?

Glocks will not work if the recoil spring guide is not seated in the barrel all the way down. Improper installation of the recoil guide rod will lock the gun up before you can chamber a round or use it. A newbe mistake.

Administrator
    No problem with mine.
    I have a LaserMax unit installed in mine.

I've been carrying Glocks for over 10 years and am very familiar with how to break them down and put them back together.

I am 100% confident that it was put together properly. But I still broke it down and put it back together again, anyway and the same thing happened. As stated, I even brought it to a Glock armorer and he observed the issue, that is why I am waiting for a new spring.

The slide comes off the frame, almost like when the slide stop is disengaged. But it will only go 1/8" and then it stops. Racking the slide to the rear fixes the issue. Like I said this only occurs after racking the slide 6 or 7 times. I've owned 6 Glocks and never had this happen.

I just wondered if anyone else experienced this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

get a new slide stop, this should fix the problem.

I Have a G-36...

No problem here...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I love my G36 it is a great little .45. I brought it to the range a couple of times with no problems. I broke it down the other day and cleaned it. When I put it back together, I racked the slide several times to get the oil into the proper places on the barrel and between the slide and the frame. After about the sixth racking I noticed that the slide slid forward of the barrel about 1/8" and then stopped. It would not come off all the way.

So I took it apart again, put it back together and after about the sixth or seventh racking, same thing. A friend of mine said he had the same issue. But this did not affect the performance of the gun.

I took it to the armorer at my job and he called Glock. They suggested replacing the spring. So I'm waiting for the part to come to my job.

Like I said this did not hamper the performance, but I thought that it was odd.

So, to all of you G36 owners, empty your weapon and rack the slide hard several times and see if this happens. It never did it with any of my Glocks, only the G36.

Thanks.
    After consulting the armorer's manual, I would agree that you need to focus on the slide lock. That is part no. 21 on the Glock schematic.

It is either installed incorrectly (if that is possible) or the part is defective. I wouldn't shoot the gun until the problem is resolved. Moving the slide an 1/8" forward has many implications when you consider the extra stress on the firing pin spring and the trigger assembly when it is fired from that position.

I've never seen one do this before and it is hard to diagnose without actually seeing the gun. I would be interested to hear what the final fix is.

good luck
    whw

Sponsored Links