Revolvers -- 7 or 8rd, high performance, concealable

Revolvers -- 7 or 8rd, high performance, concealable

This is a discussion on Revolvers -- 7 or 8rd, high performance, concealable within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For purposes of this discussion, let's assume that the size of a Ruger SP-101 3" 5rd .357 revolver roughly equates to the basic concealable revolver ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Revolvers -- 7 or 8rd, high performance, concealable

Question Revolvers -- 7 or 8rd, high performance, concealable

For purposes of this discussion, let's assume that the size of a Ruger SP-101 3" 5rd .357 revolver roughly equates to the basic concealable revolver on the market today. (Please, go with me on this: I don't want to debate the question of this or that gun being concealable, in this thread.) The goal is a relatively-to-marginally concealable revolver but with greater than "average" capacity in a high-performance cartridge.

Question: In that size package (more or less), what 7rd or 8rd revolver alternatives in a high-performance round exist on the market, either current or discontinued? If you could select a couple of candidates, what would you choose?

NOTES

• I realize there are precious few (if any) revolvers that have ever been in the size of the Ruger SP-101 with 7+ rounds.

• Would prefer a ~J/K/L (sm/med) frame S&W sizing, but certainly no larger. The ideal sizing would be, as I suggested, a Ruger SP-101 or very slightly larger, max barrel length 3.5-4in. Goal would be a defensive type of revolver, marginally concealable is okay. Weight doesn't really matter. Capacity is the major criterion, with cartridge performance the next most-important criterion (ideally, > 600 ft-lbf muzzle energy, >1400fps+ category). Say, <8.5" OAL max.

• .357 mag, possibly .327 fed, .44mag, even .30carbine ... Would not truly consider the .38sp+P in this "high" performance category. Let's skip .38sp revolvers, for this thread.

• In a Handgun Database search @ Genitron.com, a search for revolvers sorted by capacity show the following 7-8rd examples: S&W 327 .357; S&W 627 .357; Taurus 608 .357; S&W 386 .357; S&W 619/620 .357; S&W 586 .357; S&W 686 .357; Taurus 617/627 .357; Taurus 66 .357; Ruger Blackhawk .327; Ruger GP-100 .327; Taurus Raging .30 .30carbine (with a shorter bbl installed); Taurus Hunter .30 .30carbine (with shorter bbl installed); and the various .44mag revolvers out there. Though, many of these, IMO, simply get too large to consider for defensive carry anywhere but on a ranch (the Taurus Raging .30, for example ).

EDIT -- For reference:

Last edited by ccw9mm; May 21st, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

...anywhere close to that size, I'd say a .327 6-shot or a .32 Mag(Charter, I think) which may not be made anymore...or an 8 or 9-shot .22 with StingerLR HP or a .22 MRF HP in the same...any larger caliber will be 5-shot and nothing that I know of beginning with a .4 in that size...the GP 3" is roughly the same size as the L frame but nothing over 5-6 shots...

...I don't know for sure about the 7-shot S&W's barrel length choices, but their 8-shot's not available in a snub...think they're L and K respectively

...you're going to have to give a little on the size, or take the SP 3" and some speed strips and be happy...I'm looking for a 3+" SP to go with my 2+"...it would make a fine primary IF it had to...'specially for you real men who carry .357 in it...instead of .38+P like me...

...this would get you 7...the gun was made in snub lengths and some made in round butt...might find one and put a short barrel on it and end up just about the same as M66 21/2" yet one more shot...

...OK, if you're a dedicated masochist, I found this one...but I wouldn't have one as a gift!!!

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    you're going to have to give a little on the size, or take the SP 3" and some speed strips and be happy.
    Yes, I know the size is pushed when wanting 7+ rds. No real way around that, short of a special design or going up in frame size. What I'm hoping is that "revolver" folks who know the offerings over the years can shed some light on the likely candidates that aren't easily found. Hey, the Ruger SP-101 format ain't bad. I'm just hoping for 7-8rds capacity, but with increasing the size as little as possible.

...OK, if you're a dedicated masochist, I found this one...but I wouldn't have one as a gift!!!

Product: Model 327
    Not bad! But I'd certainly want another couple inches on the barrel, there. A 21oz scandium-framed .357 is going to be stiff enough, and I'd bet the muzzle-jump would be downright ugly with such a puny barrel. 8rds and <7" OAL, though. Hm. (Sort of reminds me of the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44mag, brutal little bugger in the puny bbl, though part of that was my hot/heavy Buffalo Bore loads.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    Befor I went to carrying Two Five Shooters, I carried a Taurus 617, a 2" 357 Seven shot. It's been a good gun. It is the Wife's CCW now. She likes how it handles 38+P.
    tdave likes this.

I avoid 7 shooters. They are hard to get quality speedloaders for and revolvers are MADE for 6 shots....

DSC00329.JPG13 s.jpg

One K frame 357 magnum and one N frame 44 magnum.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

...TuffStrips made in 8-shot

...HKS makes 7-shot

HKS Revolver Speedloader S&W 686 Taurus 617 817 7-Shot 38 Special 357

Senior Moderator
    A 686+ with 3inch barrel might fit your needs
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    But I'd certainly want another couple inches on the barrel, there. A 21oz scandium-framed .357 is going to be stiff enough, and I'd bet the muzzle-jump would be downright ugly with such a puny barrel. 8rds and <7" OAL, though. Hm. (Sort of reminds me of the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44mag, brutal little bugger in the puny bbl, though part of that was my hot/heavy Buffalo Bore loads.)
    The 627 is same design but all steel a 2.5" bbl. Flame thrower for sure.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    A 686+ with 3inch barrel might fit your needs
    I have the 2.5" and I can conceal it just fine using the standard one size bigger shirt/pants. it fits in a sp101 holster good it just rides a bit high. i modified the clip so it rides lower[ I'd post a pic but it's ugly as snot] i have 2 speed loaders for it I bought from Midway. When I carry it I carry with an extra speed loader or one speed strip [ 6rd]
    I carry it with .357's because it can handle the recoil but once the ammo b.s. is over with i would have no problem carrying +p's because the flash from the .357's is a real mofo. [ short for mofongo a spicy food dish]
    beautiful well made revolver. It's in my rotation but not my edc. Once I find a better holster I'll carry it more often
    Snub44 likes this.

3" 686+ I will be carrying this gun in a soon to be delivered Mitch Rosen 5JR.
    ccw9mm, Bad Bob and Eric357 like this.

Here are some pics for a size comparison of my 686+ 2.5" barrel alongside my SP101 2.25" Barrel . 7 rounds and 5 rounds respectively.
    Attached Images
    ccw9mm, Eric357 and kahrcarrier like this.

Well I guess you do learn something new everyday, I didn't know there were revolvers that hold more than 6 rds outside of 22 cal, although it seems like I did read something about a 9mm revolver that held more than 6.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369177122.956748.jpg
    686+ 3" Talo.
    Weighs the same as the GP100 but looks and feels oh so much better.
    wmhawth and MCunningham like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Here are some pics for a size comparison of my 686+ 2.5" barrel alongside my SP101 2.25" Barrel . 7 rounds and 5 rounds respectively.
    I didnt realize they were that close in size.

Seems to be we're up against basic physics here. To go higher capacity, we either shoot skinnier rounds or the cylinder gets fatter. We started out talking about something the size of the SP101, so 7 or 8 shot revolvers with bulky cylinders don't get it, much as I respect the .357 cartridge.

Funny, I flash back to Bill Jordan's "No Second Place Winner," written way back "in the day." Back then, most cops carried revolvers and we didn't have the super light guns we do now, but the Airweight Chief did exist. Jordan mused briefly about an Airweight Chief in .22 WMR, not because he wanted greater capacity, but because he felt the little Chief's cylinder could be made slimmer and it would be a near ideal concealment piece.

If you want it no larger than the SP101, and are not willing to reload after five or six, better carry a "New York Reload."

I believe Ruger now makes nine shot .22 mag and 10 shot .22 LR guns, but I think they are single action. I wouldn't go below +P .38 for primary PDW. Just my hyperinflated two cents worth.
    wmhawth likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links