Compact .45 Question Post LGS Visit

This is a discussion on Compact .45 Question Post LGS Visit within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking at a compact/midsize 45 semi auto recently, looked at the Glock 30, 36, tried and failed to find an M&P45c, stuck a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Compact .45 Question Post LGS Visit

I've been looking at a compact/midsize 45 semi auto recently, looked at the Glock 30, 36, tried and failed to find an M&P45c, stuck a Sig in my pants and almost had them fall down etc. I went tonight to a LGS that I semi frequent to look at the above guns again and did. I really have some issues with the idea of IWB carry of a Glock 30, it really is thick.

Here we go...I looked at a Taurus 24/7 G2 Compact and was really impressed, especially for $400 or so. The design is not new, but G2 is just what it sounds like and they seem to have proofed and polished the original concept. It is about the same size height and length as a G30 and holds 12rd flush fit. The build quality seems much better than what I have seen in the past from Taurus, it isn't quite Glock level but it doesn't feel like an airsoft gun like an XD either.

I like the DA/SA trigger feel, the size as well.

Look, I know Taurus has a mixed to poor rep, I have had a 740 myself and had annoying issue. However, unless you have a specific, first hand bad experience with this model, save me the 'Taurus is junk' BS...I'm looking for constructive input and feedback. This gun is my first .45 and is intended to be used for (not in this order): Range, occasional CC, HD.

Not a fan of the brand, but that's just my opinion. If you found one you like at a good price, I would say go for it. See how it performs at the range and if you have no problems after several hundred rounds, I'd feel comfortable using it as a defensive weapon. Just a suggestion, but have you looked into the Springfield XDs? Never shot one but they seem like a great package.
    Romans 12:21

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    Not a fan of the brand, but that's just my opinion. If you found one you like at a good price, I would say go for it. See how it performs at the range and if you have no problems after several hundred rounds, I'd feel comfortable using it as a defensive weapon. Just a suggestion, but have you looked into the Springfield XDs? Never shot one but they seem like a great package.
    Yes to the XDs, but it's capacity is too low (my minimum is 10rd) and I don't like the XD line in general, I hate grip safeties and the texture of the polymer they use.

I shot my friend's M&P 45c a couple weeks ago and I really liked it. If I wasn't going to get a Glock, that's what I would go for. However, the width on the M&P is essentially identical to that of the Glock. Unfortunately Glock doesn't make a compact 45 unless it's the GAP version. Only the full size, sub-compact, and slim-line.

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    I shot my friend's M&P 45c a couple weeks ago and I really liked it. If I wasn't going to get a Glock, that's what I would go for. However, the width on the M&P is essentially identical to that of the Glock. Unfortunately Glock doesn't make a compact 45 unless it's the GAP version. Only the full size, sub-compact, and slim-line.
    I VERY briefly thought about the GAP models, but considering that I have seen .45GAP in a store precisely once (LE supply store near here, a few depts. issue the round so that's why they carry it) and have never seen a 37, 38 or 39 in person I decided that wasn't a viable option.

VIP Member
    I agree about GAP.
    To your OP about Taurus .45, I have 2nd-hand experience with a miserable co-worker owner of Taurus, I believe a PT-1911 but I think not a Pro model. They were new about three years ago. Anyway, he was ex-mil with some experience. After too few rounds, the frame warped. Customer Service was bad.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I VERY briefly thought about the GAP models, but considering that I have seen .45GAP in a store precisely once (LE supply store near here, a few depts. issue the round so that's why they carry it) and have never seen a 37, 38 or 39 in person I decided that wasn't a viable option.
    I completely agree. I've also only seen GAP on the shelves once. Back to your original post, I think it will challenging to find a 45 caliber handgun with at least a 10 round capacity that is any thinner than the M&P or Glock models. I never thought I'd carry a Glock because of the thickness, but since finding the MIC holster I've changed my mind. Adds no thickness to the gun making it just as easy as concealing something like a Shield with a conventional holster. Now the thickness is irrelevant.
    Taurahe likes this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I have a buddy who owns one of the first Gen. 24/7's, to me the only thing they changed was appearances/grip texture and the way the gun was field stripped; from a 1911 type, pull the slide stop out, (very difficult on the Gen. 1 because there isn't anything on the opposite side to push out and not much to grab onto on the lever side either), to a more Glock type of dual lever system release clone.

The pistol was initially designed to compete in our Armed Forces Handgun Trials. I've only handled this one and I swear it was built by monkeys. It rarely runs through an entire mag without some type of malfunction. Mostly it is type one or two malfunctions, but I have seen a double feed a couple of times.

Last range trip we really tried to diagnose, but there are several problems the most notable one is when a round ejects the play in the barrel catches the bullet's nose under the feed ramp on the barrel, yes, under the freaking barrel due to it's over riding the ramp on the frame when in the slide's rear most position. The bullet comes up out of the mag and off the frame to contact the lower porting of the barrel's ramp on the under side. When the slide continues to close and the barrel tilts back into position the bullet has already jammed under the barrel ramp and as the barrel moves forward into position the bullet continues upwards, pops up, nose right out of the ejection port. At times it will run for 20 or so rounds, but this is the most common issue I could see. It seems there is too much play in the slide lock assembly/Link and it allows the barrel more rearward movement in recoil than it should.

The trigger is pretty nice, smooth, and has a double strike capability; something Taurus really played up, not something I care about. If a round doesn't fire the first time I am not going to waste time hitting it again in a SD scenario. I am going to ditch it and fight on, wasting time and prayers on a round that didn't go off is going to get me killed. Why waste more time with a dud? Let me tell you, 15 rounds of .45 230gr. is heavy in what is unloaded, a fairly light gun with 5" Bbl. It's capacity sounds great until you feel it and then it doesn't seem like such a good idea in an EDC. I was impressed the frame was as thin as it was holding 15 rounds, it fit my large size hand well. The machining on this gun looks good on the outside, but the inside is pretty rough with tool marks and scars that don't seem to come from wear. When I shoot it it also has a wondering point of impact. A couple of rounds will land where expected then one will hit way off somewhere when I know I didn't pull the shot off; it is very unnerving and bothersome. Others have commented on this as well.

The owner has been dragging his feet for a couple of years now on sending it back and has lost all confidence in it as a home defense gun, (it's intended purpose at time of purchase). Like I said this is a test of exactly one, but as big a failure as this gun is and reports of many, many issues with Taurus firearms at my LGS, and pretty much anywhere else you care to look, I would stay away. There is a reason they are inexpensive. Can Taurus make a good gun? Sure, they do on occasion and 20 years ago they were a great success story in improvement of a sub-par firearms manufacturing company. Unfortunately they offer so many models and upgrade those models so frequently that they specialize in nothing and no one gun stands out. There are much safer purchases out there and I would advise you to choose elsewhere. Good luck.
    NH_Esau, tmoore912 and Taurahe like this.

Para USA or metro arms are better budget 1911s imo.
    Taurahe and Bad Bob like this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Never shot the 24/7. Have fired a few of the 92 clones buddies bought because they were cheaper than the real thing. Both had issues right off the bat, one the guy has tried to live with but it continued to be a POS and he just gave up on it a few weeks ago. Not impressed at all with fit, finish, or function. OK for a range gun, but I wouldn't carry it or have it by my bedside.

I've fired a few Taurus revolvers. They all worked but again, fit and finish unimpressive. Hold it up against a SW or Colt and you'll go, "Oh, I see where the extra dollars go/don't go."

If you want a Compact with 10 rds, I'd say M&P or Sig P250 (w/10rd mag or even make your FrankenSig out of a Compact with a trimmed-down FS frame - Tangle did some cool stuff like that, I think - The P250: customization by owners - lots of pretty pics.). And I doubt the poly-frame P250 will make your pants fall down.

$100 or $200 price difference just isn't that much when you look at the commitment of gun ownership over the next few years. You might save the equivalent in dollars of 5 or 6 boxes of ammo if you buy the Taurus vs one of these, but I'd have to go through twice that before I felt confident a gun was going to work when I needed it to. And there's a chance you might find a peach and trust it with your life. But with Taurus, there's as good a chance or better you'll get a dud and now you've thrown a lot of good money on a range toy. Then you'll need to go out and spend more on an EDC, holster/mag case, extra mags, and practice ammo to replace that which you burnt on the turd.

VIP Member
    Don't get in a hurry, keep looking. Maybe consider changing your criteria a bit?
    OD* likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Capacity constraint

If I were the original poster and wanted to carry a compact .45, I would question my 10 round capacity constraint, since that seems to be what is making his desired gun too thick. It is just a physical reality that 10 rounds of .45 in a double stack magazine makes for a rather thick gun - one that doesn't conceal very easily. Of the small .45s he mentioned, I own the Glock 36, which gives you 6+1 rounds of .45 in a slim, single stack compact gun. That would be the solution to his problem if he could ditch the 10 round capacity limitation.

I have always felt that the most important round in a self defense gun is the first round - the one in the chamber when you have to use the gun. That round has the potential to end the fight after one shot, making the remaining rounds unnecessary. If the fight continues, the remaining rounds have decreasing importance because each one could also end the fight at any given point. If you go through round 7 in the Glock 36 and the fight is still going, you'll just have to go to your spare magazine, your backup gun, or run like crazy. I would predict that in 99% of your potential gunfights the 7 rounds will be enough.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I've been looking at a compact/midsize 45 semi auto recently, looked at the Glock 30, 36.

I really have some issues with the idea of IWB carry of a Glock 30, it really is thick.

Here we go...I looked at a Taurus 24/7 G2 Compact Look, I know Taurus has a mixed to poor rep, I have had a 740 myself and had annoying issue.

I'm looking for constructive input and feedback.
    Yet you are considering possibly buying another annoying issue?

My answer: Glock 36 for slim IWB carry
    kmagnuss likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Im not going to tell you not to but the taurus, but I will share my experience with taurus. I purchased a .357 in 2008 as a BUG while a LEO in savannah GA. It was BNIB. The first three rnds fired fine, on the fouth the headstamps of the cases began catching on the rear of the cylinder framing as the ctylinder rotated. I sent it back to taurus three times, each they sent it back and said it was fixed and it was not. I called their CS and they gave me the run around, wanting me to pay to continue shipping it to them, and generally not giving a hoot. The LGS i bought it from refused to stand behind their sale and washes their hands of the problem, leaving me with a brand new, albeit worthless, paperweight. I will never buy another taurus. If they cant build a reliable revolver, i would never trust a semi auto.

2 hand experience: my ex brother in law bought a 24/7 45 compact. He sold it two months later. It had been sent to taurus as well with ne effect. It FTE'd, FTF'd, and generally was a pos. The fitting was terrible, the trigger sucked, and you couldnt hit squat with it.

IMO, if you want a 45 but dont like the glocks thick hips, save a little more and get a MP 45 compact. It is a far more reliable gun for not much more money, SW's CS is top notch, and it is gun a you can depend on always, no matter what. That by itself is worth a little more money to me.

with all that, if you do get the taurus I would love to hear a range report. Some have had great luck with taurus, so it seems they either work great ot not at all with no real middle ground. Hope this helps !
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Wait for a SR45c maybe. Its gotta be coming.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links