See nothing wrong with going old school.

This is a discussion on See nothing wrong with going old school. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard much discussion about Glocks, M&P, XD,etc. on this forum. I like Glocks, don't deny it, but recently was called out about choosing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: See nothing wrong with going old school.

I have heard much discussion about Glocks, M&P, XD,etc. on this forum. I like Glocks, don't deny it, but recently was called out about choosing only Glocks. They are not the only type of gun I own. This is what works for me, never had a problem with the ones I own. They have other benefits as well. Are they perfect, by no means(flame suit on). That being said I also have a great love of revolvers. I will be planning on adding more, along with 1911 pistols. One of the few benefits in being single is no explanations of your use of discretionary income. Older model guns are cool and they have a proven track record. I would carry a revolver without reservation(have one on now). I am going to have to become a student of the 1911 and train with it before I carry one as I would be new to that platform. I am sure as I age and improve with training/practice my gun choices will evolve.
    bmcgilvray and GhostMaker like this.

agreed sir. I have recently switched to carrying a revolver. I used to carry a semi but I guess I just have bad luck with them cause I haven't had one yet that has proven unreliable enough to put my life on( except my 1911). so revolvers it is for me now I just need to practice reloading with speed strips and speed loaders.

It's admirable that you are open-minded enough to be willing to sample from all the many types of handguns.

I don't possess the greatness of character that you display so happily reside deep within the "old school" parameter.

Now if I could just get over this allergy to plastic and double-action-only triggers...
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Nothing wrong with Glocks, but you're right, some old designs are right up there with the modern. I'm not a fan of single-action only, but hey, the 1911 design has been in continuous production in some form for over 100 years and is still in competition with modern weapons. Pretty hard to beat that track record. Even revolvers have changed more in that time period.

Revolvers are more than adequate for concealed carry and defensive use. I carry a Ruger gp-100 and and a charter arms under cover for back up. The main point is to practice and become competent with the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmjoy View Post
    agreed sir. I have recently switched to carrying a revolver. I used to carry a semi but I guess I just have bad luck with them cause I haven't had one yet that has proven unreliable enough to put my life on( except my 1911). so revolvers it is for me now I just need to practice reloading with speed strips and speed loaders.
    I would suggest searching YouTube for "Massad Ayoob revolver," if you haven't already settled on a technique for reloading. He demonstrates his preferred method, and his explanation for it makes a lot of sense.

Plastic guns for me don't generate any sentimentality whatsoever, unlike a lot of my walnut and blued steel guns. One reason I carry the G23 when I hike in the boonies is that if I should lose it, I won't shed a tear, I'll just replace it.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by nechaev View Post
    Revolvers are more than adequate for concealed carry and defensive use. I carry a Ruger gp-100 and and a charter arms under cover for back up. The main point is to practice and become competent with the platform.
    Not to get off-topic, but if I may ask, do you find it difficult to conceal the gp-100? I've been thinking of going with a larger .357 to complement my snubby, but the gp seems a little TOO large at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Not to get off-topic, but if I may ask, do you find it difficult to conceal the gp-100? I've been thinking of going with a larger .357 to complement my snubby, but the gp seems a little TOO large at first glance.
    My thoughts too. How does anyone conceal carry a G100? That thing is pretty durn big.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    My thoughts too. How does anyone conceal carry a G100? That thing is pretty durn big.
    I have a couple of the 3" GP100s. I recently got a 3" S&W Model 10 and compared them in size. Turns out that the external dimensions are almost identical. The GP's cylinder is a little bit thicker, and the full barrel underlug is something that the Model 10 lacks. The most noticeable difference is that the GP was probably about 5-6 ounces (guessing because I don't have a scale) heavier.

Funny that the 3" S&W Model 10 (or any 3" K-Frame) is commonly touted as "just about perfect" for belt carry, and the GP100 3" is seen as an unmanageable beast.
    Last edited by lowercase; May 23rd, 2013 at 09:57 AM.

For me it's the action of the GP 100 that I wouldn't be interested in getting used to after a lifetime of enjoying the excellent K-Frame Smith & Wesson and it's smooth action. That and the fact that the GP 100 appears thicker, heavier,"clunkier." Well... then there's the cylinder release button which to me is the worst of the three styles to manipulate when comparing Smith & Wesson and Colt to the Ruger. And the overall appearance doesn't appeal to me. And, while there is nothing wrong with the investment casting processes that Ruger touts, I'm not interested in owning a revolver with major components made of castings. Just a silly whim but forged steel has given perfect satisfaction so we're going to stick with it.

All subjective stuff and a matter of opinion only.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I see nothing wrong or shameful with going with what works. It's our very lives on the line. What works is often a bit older, or larger, or more-concealable, or stranger than the next person would choose. So what. Whatever works ... even revolvers.

Have had a few guns where folks have questioned things, for various reasons: a snubbie revolver, a Browning BDM, an "expensive" H&K P2000SK. 1911 folks couldn't get past the BDM's "backwards" thumb safety system. Wonder Nine folks couldn't get the idea of a small revolver "pop gun." And plenty of folks have questioned the need for such an "expensive" beast as an H&K. To each his own.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Plastic guns for me don't generate any sentimentality whatsoever, unlike a lot of my walnut and blued steel guns. One reason I carry the G23 when I hike in the boonies is that if I should lose it, I won't shed a tear, I'll just replace it.
    Well spoken (or rather, written). I own, shoot and carry plastic but I would agree that the lack of character leaves it relegated to being only a tool. Carrying/shooting/handling the Model 19 or the Dan Wesson is a different story. Like so many things, if I have to explain it you wouldn't understand it.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    I have an old school Colt detective special that Ive wanted to try carry but dont have a holster in "the drawer" for it as of yet
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I like to spead the wealth so to speak. I like 1911's Glocks Rugers Beretta's S+W's. I have at least one of each.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links