Springfield XDM 3.8 compact 45 vs Springfield Champion Operator

This is a discussion on Springfield XDM 3.8 compact 45 vs Springfield Champion Operator within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure this has been discussed but I need some opinions. I have a friend who wants to trade me his Springfield Champion Operator for ...

Thread: Springfield XDM 3.8 compact 45 vs Springfield Champion Operator

Springfield XDM 3.8 compact 45 vs Springfield Champion Operator

I'm sure this has been discussed but I need some opinions. I have a friend who wants to trade me his Springfield Champion Operator for my XDM compact. I have a Springfield loaded 1911 and I love it, I also love my XDM for carry. I just want some opinions on which is a better carry gun, I really like the feel and shooting of the operator(I mean you can't go wrong with a 1911) but the compactness and shooting of my xdm is great also. So what would you go with the Champion Operator or the XDM compact?

2. Remove Ads

Go with your gut, whatever that means to you. I LOVE 1911's, but I always find myself migrating to smaller plastic fantastics when the weather gets hot. The Operator is the "better" gun, but not for carry IMO.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I have a Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator and an XDm 3.8 compact 9mm. The 9mm is a little smaller than the .45 in the XDm, but it's still very comparable. With that being said, go with the XDm. The XDm is already a heavy gun and that operator is going to be even heavier. The XDm is my nightstand gun and the operator spends most days in the safe, the XDm is a great mix of ergos, compactness, and capacity. I really think you can't go wrong with it.

I'd go with the 1911, but I EDC one already and I'm officially a fanatic I think. Do you have another carry gun?

Kinda like apples and oranges. I shoot my 1911's slightly better than plastic (H&K) BUT I like the lighter weight, better capacity, and my personal taste. I do not want a safety on my EDC. Not saying it is not a good choice just not for me.

I waited for over 6 years with a list of features and options that I wanted in "the perfect handgun for my purposes".
    accurate
    reliable
    light
    small
    high capacity .45 ACP
    highly efficient sighting at all light levels
    just the trigger, no "extra" switches or controls
    ability to carry highly concealed and comfortably 24/7

Finally, Springfield came out with the XDm 3.8 .45 which would accept the Crimson Trace LaserGuard and XS Big Dot sights.

This system is everything I wanted.

As you might imagine I'm kind of biased -- but I say get the XD!

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Links