Is it time to get a 9mm or .22lr/m?

This is a discussion on Is it time to get a 9mm or .22lr/m? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well everyone, I don't know which Gun to get next. I've got all of the .40 and .45 cal glocks (including the new G30S). I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is it time to get a 9mm or .22lr/m?

Is it time to get a 9mm or .22lr/m?

Well everyone, I don't know which Gun to get next. I've got all of the .40 and .45 cal glocks (including the new G30S). I'm open to suggestions because I don't know much about the other calibers. This is not for CCW, just for fun at the range or something. My 1st thought is to get a Glock 19, 9mm. After thinking about it for a while though, I also wish I could find a cool and reliable polymer framed .22lr or .22 magnum semi-auto.....any suggestions there? It must be polymer framed because my hands always sweat real bad....I don't like rusting things up.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    If you're looking for a gun that is just "for fun at the range", I'd suggest getting a .22lr. Everyone needs one of those. Hopefully ammo will be more available for it soon.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Ruger makes nice .22's. I've had my eye on their SR22 which feels great in my hand. There's also their LCR22 and 22wmr.

You won't go wrong with the Glock 19. Excellent excellent gun. It's the high water mark for 9mm striker fired pistols IMO.

I don't have a .22lr pistol yet. I may be in the market for one soon too.

For .22 Magnum, Kel-Tec makes a full-size polymer auto that holds 30 rounds, I think called a PMR-30. Never fired one, but I like the idea.

I used to have a Walter P22 and I sold it because it just didn't function properly...mags falling out, FTF, FTE.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    Ditto-- still have it. Its fun at the range but ...
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    For .22 Magnum, Kel-Tec makes a full-size polymer auto that holds 30 rounds, I think called a PMR-30. Never fired one, but I like the idea.
    Very interesting.....:

b_15d179e7dd7ca525dc1c44dda16dcdf9PMR4.jpg

The PMR-30 is a light weight, full size pistol chambered for the flat-shooting .22Magnum cartridge (.22WMR). The PMR-30 operates on a unique hybrid blowback/locked-breech system. This operation system allows for the use of a wide variety of ammunition as it seamlessly adjusts between locked breach and blowback operation, depending on the pressure of the cartridge. It uses a double stack magazine of a new design that holds 30 rounds and fits completely in the grip of the pistol. The trigger is a crisp single action with an over-travel stop. The manual safety is a thumb activated ambidextrous safety lever (up for SAFE, down for FIRE). The slide locks back after the last shot and a manual slide lock lever is also provided. The light, crisp trigger pull and fiber optic sights make the PMR-30 ideal for target shooting and hunting small game.

I'd recommend an S&W M&P 22, Ruger SR22 or Ruger 22/45
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Just got a Ruger 22/45 Lite and it is really nice.. going to add a Burris fastfire II red dot..
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Gerry
    Ft Collins

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    Very interesting.....:

b_15d179e7dd7ca525dc1c44dda16dcdf9PMR4.jpg

The PMR-30 is a light weight, full size pistol chambered for the flat-shooting .22Magnum cartridge (.22WMR). The PMR-30 operates on a unique hybrid blowback/locked-breech system. This operation system allows for the use of a wide variety of ammunition as it seamlessly adjusts between locked breach and blowback operation, depending on the pressure of the cartridge. It uses a double stack magazine of a new design that holds 30 rounds and fits completely in the grip of the pistol. The trigger is a crisp single action with an over-travel stop. The manual safety is a thumb activated ambidextrous safety lever (up for SAFE, down for FIRE). The slide locks back after the last shot and a manual slide lock lever is also provided. The light, crisp trigger pull and fiber optic sights make the PMR-30 ideal for target shooting and hunting small game.
    Good luck finding one, you'll pay a high price and it will still be a shoddily made Kel Tec.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Ruger makes nice .22's. I've had my eye on their SR22 which feels great in my hand.
    The Ruger SR22 is cool too:

3600.jpg

Packed with versatile features, the SR22® is lightweight (just 17.5 ounces) and perfect for just about anything - plinking, target shooting and even small game hunting. It is easy to field strip, fun to shoot, and will run reliably with a wide variety of ammunition (not just high-velocity ammunition).

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I'd recommend an S&W M&P 22
    Ok, this one is nice

222000_01_md.jpg

My .22 always comes to the range it is the most fun to shoot. image.jpg
    Eric357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 84160 View Post
    Just got a Ruger 22/45 Lite and it is really nice.. going to add a Burris fastfire II red dot..
    That's probably going to be my next gun, along with a vintage Smith model 10. I've been eyeing those 22/45's for a while.
    NRA Life Member

Now that you guys have shown me the .22 polymer options, it's looking like the Ruger SR22 is my best option. The others are good, but PMR-30 is way too expensive and M&P22 looks too big for me....it looks like a full size Sig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links