Reliability ????

This is a discussion on Reliability ???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the situation. I've had my Kimber Compact CDP for several years. Over 2,000 rounds with NO malfunctions. Had the frame only refinished. While shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reliability ????

Reliability ????

Here's the situation. I've had my Kimber Compact CDP for several years. Over 2,000 rounds with NO malfunctions. Had the frame only refinished. While shooting this week, had ONE failure to feed. Where the round did not go completley into battery. A firm bump on the end of the slide and the round chambered completely and went bang when the trigger was pulled. Do you trust your life on this pistol today. Or do you wait until you have another several hundred rounds thru it, with no malfunctions. More details include, less than 100 rounds since the last cleaning, yes it was a reload and yes it shot the next 20+ rounds without another issue. I think it was just a fluke. What would you think or do?

( my boss thinks I should just forget it for now and go back to work..... LOL )

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    True - even one glitch in hundreds is concerning but - when it comes to mechanisms I doubt we can say any is 100% reliable - maybe 99.9%.

The interesting thing would be to evaluate the reason but that is probably not easy. In theory any of us, even with guns that have faultlessly digested many hundreds of rounds - could have the ''Murphy'' effect and in extremis too - thus the need to always have some good practice at malfunction drills.

Get another 100 thru and no troubles and I'd put it behind you.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Have you changed the springs in those 2000 rounds. If I recall correctly the service life on the kimber springs is well short of 2k....and if that was to blame then it could certainly maifest itself in a failure to feed like you had.

raysheen
    Good point. If I remember correctly, I did replace the spring at about 1,100 rds with a Wolf 22lb replacement. I new spring is certainly in the very near future.
    Last edited by dbracin; November 17th, 2006 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Administrator
    Fresh New Recoil Spring should do it.

Also: Depending on what finish you had done on your frame that could have tightened your frame rails up a bit if it was a plated finish or a Gun Kote type of finish - or if they blasted your frame prior to refinishing it....then it might take a bit of shooting to slick up your slide to frame area again.

BTW ~ When you are practicing your Self~Defensive shooting with any semi~auto ~ you should always be ready to bump the back of that slide.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

the reload was your problem. if it was cast lead, then you had a small buildup of lube and/or lead at the front end of the case. the area were the case and bullet meets. just a small amount of crud here will cause the gun to not to go into full battery. a bump on the slide will seat the round to full battery. it not case lead reload, then you had some crud in the chamber that did not let the bullet go into full battery. either way it is not a problem, that's why we teach,,, "tap, rap, bang".

VIP Member
    I agree with malfunction drills... out of battery, double stacks and stove pipes to name a few.

I love my 1911 but I feel more comfortable with my Glocks!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

What ammo were you using? If reloads, I would agree with the earlier post. If shooting lead,do you have a build up in the barrell. I do alot with the lead SWC's I shoot. If factory ammo, was it range or defense ammo? Big difference there to. I would not be ready to throw in the towel.

Practice ammo vs. carry ammo

First of all, I would agree with the recoil spring suggestion. I have a Kimber Pro CDP with 1,000 rounds and I am on my second recoil spring, with a new one in inventory for eventual use.

I would be more concerned if the gun failed to go into battery with your carry ammo, which I presume is some high quality brand of hollowpoint. The fact that it hung up on a reload practice round may not be relevant to what it does with carry ammo.

One failure out of 2,000+ rounds, and that was probably the most easily cleared failure that a semi-auto can experience. No, I wouldn't worry about carrying this weapon.

I still have confidence in my Kimber. Since it was after all my practice reloads and not my carry ammo. Which by the way is 230 gr Speer Gold Dots. So, I'll have a couple of spring on order next week.
    Thanks for all the replys.
    Dale

(please excuse me for showing off....
    but I just love this new finish on my CDP)

Quote Originally Posted by dbracin View Post
    Over 2,000 rounds with NO malfunctions. Had the frame only refinished. While shooting this week, had ONE failure to feed.
    Depends on the failure. Depends on how many. For me, if a string occurs, it's almost easier to diagnose. But one in 2000 without another occurring isn't, for me, worth getting overly concerned about. After 2000 rounds, a gun will have proven itself to me. I'd be just as willing to bet that specific bullet or casing had something odd about it, than to assume it's the gun's problem. Such as, being slightly longer, or having a nick somewhere. Then again, you did have recent work, including a refinishing. On the internally moving parts, that can affect things such as timing. The nice thing is, after a few tens of thousands of rounds, most guns to begin to loosen up and such little performance issues can become quite rare in a first-rate gun. This one sounds like it's highly reliable, for a relatively new gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

ckd
    +1 to FrankMako & Thumper's perspectives, training to clear malfunctions is critical in semiautomatic. Train like you would need to fight, tap, rack, if not resolved, replace the mag with a new one, rack, bang. So it doesn't matter as much as to the why, but how quickly you resolve the matter. After action solutions starting with the magazine, probably springs, seems logical. cc9mm's points are spot-on too. I never feel comfortable with any gun that I haven't run 500 rounds through; part action memory, part real-time polishing.

After thought: if you haven't tired using dummy rounds to simulate FTF problems or others, it makes for good reflex training. Just my .02
    Last edited by ckd; November 17th, 2006 at 07:47 PM.

Administrator
    ~ extractor crud
    ~ barrel chamber residue
    ~ stale or insufficient lube on slide & frame rails
    ~ out of spec reload

No offense meant here, but after reading this discussion, I think the Kimber is fine -- you malfunctioned for not changinging your recoil spring and perhaps not a complete disassemble cleaning...

Here's my suggestion: use your older springs at the range, then before you carry, replace with a fresh Wolff or ISMI. Mark the carry spring with silver paint and install after cleaning...

Good Luck:

Dead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links